Page 4 of 8

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:31 pm
by shesheyan
As silently as possible Erevan advances and pulls the cloth awning aside with his staff to see who is inside the stall.

[Stealth : 14+2 = 16]

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm
by RobJN
mah9 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 am
Haldon walks slowly with the others, looking for anywhere there might be other hiding spaces or unusual attachments to buildings. He also keeps an eye out for any dwarven merchants or traders in the town, who may be more prepared to talk to him than the town guard.
The buildings and market stalls in the main township are all fairly regular, with no odd or unusual protrusions. (The same could not be said of the hodgepodge, ramshackle of what little Haldon could see of the island connected to the town.)

Two dwarven merchants catch Haldon's attention: one, a tinsmith, strokes his beard, but can't say as to noticing anything untoward or strange around his particular stall. It is on the periphery, though, along the run close to the town's blacksmith.

The other dwarf is a wiry (for a dwarf!) fellow, who plaits his beard into two forks, the beads at the end clacking when he nods or shakes his head. He is a jeweler, with many intricate pieces of gold and silver laid out on blue velvet. He is particularly proud of two newer pieces, one in gold, another in silver. They are delicate, shaped like sunflower and moonflower buds, newly opened.

"Well, I don't work crystal, so I couldn't compete with the young'n down around the alleyway, and no respectable dwarf would stoop to such a theft as imitation. No, I work metals and ores, not those fragile, fickle crystals. These... these, my brother -- these are meant to compliment his fine craftsmanship. I mean, fine for as much as he's only human, you understand...."
mah9 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:38 pm
Haldon leaves the group to find the local shrine to Kagyar. Whilst there he prays for guidance and asks any of the faithful that attend of any strange occurrences in Threshold, especially about the missing girls.
Of the dwarves and gnomes that Haldon encounters in and around the enclosed shrine to Kagyar, none can say they know much, save that the baron and his townguard are doing their utmost, and even though the baron has the favor of the Immortals of the Church of Karameikos, they still petition Kagyar to lend what aid he can to the search, as well.

In his meditations, Haldon sees glimpses of dark, stone-walled rooms, lit by fitful torch or candle light. He hears the echo of the quick step of slippered feet, of sharp and gasping breaths. He sees a girl's wide-eyed face, the shocked expression carved so beautifully into glossy black stone that no mortal hands could have done the work.

And a whispered phrase, so dim as to be a far-reaching breath of an echo: "Stone beneath Stone..... Stone beneath Stone..."

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:10 am
by mah9
Haldon takes a look at this stall holder and his crystals, and how a mere human can work such materials.

On his return, he relates his vision to the others.

"Probably underground somewhere, but that doesn't help much now. Feels like some evil magic to me."

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:15 pm
by RobJN
shesheyan wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:31 pm
As silently as possible Erevan advances and pulls the cloth awning aside with his staff to see who is inside the stall.

[Stealth : 14+2 = 16]
The sudden parting of the awning fills the stall with late morning light, brightening the heretofore darker corners ever so briefly before the flap falls back into place.

Perhaps it is because he was also focusing on any lurking threat within the market stall, but he does not see a repeat of the dusty glimmer he'd seen earlier, even with the added luminosity from his surprise maneuver.

Aside from stirred up dust, though, Erevan sees nobody within, at first glance...

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:59 pm
by shesheyan
Ereven casts a Light spell at the end of his staff, pushes the awning aside with is free hand and walks into the stall. He looks around to see who is in there.

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:24 am
by torkill13
RobJN wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 am
The baker's boy frowns, chewing at a heel of bread. "Look, I know lots of girls." He shrugs, grinning around a mouthful of bread. "What can I say? I like 'em fair haired. Don't know that those two knew each other.

"Oh, Jas is a wee thing -- but don't go bringing that to her attention. Got a mean kick, her." He holds a hand at about his shoulder height. "Like I said, got that Antalian coloring to her: fair hair, icy blue eyes. Don't miss anything, those. Saw her.. oh, a couple days ago, I suppose." He frowns. "Haven't seen her since. I guess she didn't like the little surprise I hid in with her day-olds."
"Surprise?" The big man raised an eyebrow. "What surprise?" He looked back toward the guard that remained to see if the other had returned yet. "Seems you aren't the only one interested in young fair haired girls. I reckon there ain't nothing good behind these missing girls, but I'm fixin' to find Fiala... Jasna to. Where's she normally hang out when she isn't down here looking for handouts from you?" Horvik asked the boy.

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:31 am
by RobJN
torkill13 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:24 am
"Surprise?" The big man raised an eyebrow. "What surprise?" He looked back toward the guard that remained to see if the other had returned yet. "Seems you aren't the only one interested in young fair haired girls. I reckon there ain't nothing good behind these missing girls, but I'm fixin' to find Fiala... Jasna to. Where's she normally hang out when she isn't down here looking for handouts from you?" Horvik asked the boy.
"Well...." the boy says, pausing to chew and swallow, "I heard Fiala and her cousin talking about these trinkets they wanted, and so, after the morning baking was done, I nipped over to the codger's stall to see what the fuss was about." He shrugs. "They were cheap, so I picked one up, and was going to give it to Fiala, but...." He bites off another bit of bread, a bit too fiercely. "She already had one. Probably got it from that smith's apprentice. So, why waste it, right? I mean, Jasna's cute and all, and since she lives at Petra's Home, I mean... they don't usually have a lot of nice things, so...." He shrugs again. "Well, I wasn't going to wear the bauble, now, was I?"

At Horvik's other question, the boy gives yet another shrug. "The matron sends the girls out to do their morning shopping after breaking fast, and then at ninth bell, they're supposed to gather back at the Home for lessons. But I've seen little Jas skulking around the marketplace after ninth. Was one time, a month or so back, she asked for more bread.... said she needed it for her 'expedition.' Ha! Now there's a word she no doubt picked up at a lesson she actually attended!"

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:46 am
by RobJN
shesheyan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:59 pm
Ereven casts a Light spell at the end of his staff, pushes the awning aside with is free hand and walks into the stall. He looks around to see who is in there.

Give me either an Int (Investigation) or Wis (Perception) check, please

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:17 pm
by shesheyan
Investigation 9+5 = 14

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 pm
by torkill13
RobJN wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:31 am
"Well...." the boy says, pausing to chew and swallow, "I heard Fiala and her cousin talking about these trinkets they wanted, and so, after the morning baking was done, I nipped over to the codger's stall to see what the fuss was about." He shrugs. "They were cheap, so I picked one up, and was going to give it to Fiala, but...." He bites off another bit of bread, a bit too fiercely. "She already had one. Probably got it from that smith's apprentice. So, why waste it, right? I mean, Jasna's cute and all, and since she lives at Petra's Home, I mean... they don't usually have a lot of nice things, so...." He shrugs again. "Well, I wasn't going to wear the bauble, now, was I?"
Wisdom (Insight) [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13

Horvik listened as the apprentice told his story, watching for any sign that the boy was lying or leaving out any other details. "You better be telling me the truth or your gonna find it hard to chew that bread with teeth missing. Now, I know the where to find the smithy and Petra's Home, but where's this merchant stall with the trinkets?"

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:58 am
by RobJN
torkill13 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 pm
Wisdom (Insight) [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13

Horvik listened as the apprentice told his story, watching for any sign that the boy was lying or leaving out any other details. "You better be telling me the truth or your gonna find it hard to chew that bread with teeth missing. Now, I know the where to find the smithy and Petra's Home, but where's this merchant stall with the trinkets?"
Horvik does not get any sense that the boy is, or has been speaking falsely. Around another mouthful of bread, the apprentice gives a somewhat long and rambling account of how to find what he referred to as 'the codger's stall.'
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:17 pm
Investigation 9+5 = 14
Erevan does not see anybody in the stall. However, he notes that the dust has been recently disturbed, and is scuffed and smudged with hobnailed boot-prints. In fact, in one corner, the dust is still drifting and swirling.....

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:01 am
by torkill13
Horvik placed a hand on the apprentice's shoulder. "Thanks. You've been helpful. If you think of anything else or hear anything about either girl, make your way to the Hook. If I am not there, ask for Cal. Tell him Horvik sent you and leave your message with him." He thought for a moment and added "Oh and don't get any ideas about Anaya while you are there. You seem to be bad luck for girls." The big man chuckled and clapped the boy on the shoulder. Then he turned to head back toward the market to find his friends and the stall the boy described. He motioned to the guard standing nearby. "You coming?" he called out.

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 am
by RobJN
torkill13 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:01 am
Horvik placed a hand on the apprentice's shoulder. "Thanks. You've been helpful. If you think of anything else or hear anything about either girl, make your way to the Hook. If I am not there, ask for Cal. Tell him Horvik sent you and leave your message with him." He thought for a moment and added "Oh and don't get any ideas about Anaya while you are there. You seem to be bad luck for girls." The big man chuckled and clapped the boy on the shoulder. Then he turned to head back toward the market to find his friends and the stall the boy described. He motioned to the guard standing nearby. "You coming?" he called out.
The baker's boy snorts a laugh, which turns into a cough, and waves an affirmative as Horvik leaves.

The guard gives the burly fighter a dark look, and then ambles off around the corner, in the opposite direction.

When Horvik reaches the abandoned stall, he finds it lit from within by Erevan's staff, the elf scrutinizing the lay of the dust and debris among the corners, while Auren lounges outside, keeping watch along the alleyway.

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:33 pm
by shesheyan
« Horvik, there you are. I came back to this stall because I saw something glittering the first time I passed in front of it. Noticed some foot prints in the dust and heard something speak in goblinish as I approached. I ordered it to show itself but it didn't. I entered the stall but the creature had left. We should try to track it. It think it fled by that corner of the stall ». Everan points to the corner were the dust is still whirling. « It talked about finding something lost and a master. I believe it was looking for the glittering object I saw briefly. »

« Did you learn something at the bakery? »

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:29 pm
by torkill13
As Horvik approaches the stall, he noticed a bright light shining from inside. Clearly someone was already here, so he grasped the handle of his battleaxe as we moved the awning aside to enter the stall. A look of surprise crosses his face seeing Everan standing there, and he relaxed his grip slightly.

"Learned a lot from the boy, but first things first. Best not let the trail get cold." He bent down to examine the dirt for tracks indicating where the creature ran off to or what he was looking for.

WIS (Survival): [1d20+4] = 19+4 = 23

OOC: I wasn't sure what check you would ask for. Survival/Perception have same bonus, if Investigation subtract 4

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:16 pm
by torkill13
Horvik examined the tracks and disturbance of the dust leading toward the far corner of the stall. They ended abruptly amidst the still-swirling dust. The light from the staff illuminated the dust and he watched as the dust seemed to settle around... something. Horvick squinted to narrow his focus. "Got you!" he cried out triumphantly, as he quickly reached out to grab what appeared to be the outline of what might be a small, cloaked, hunched figure.

STR (Athletics): [1d20+5] = 1+5 = 6

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm
by RobJN
Initiative rolls, if you please, my good players.

mah9, the dwarf jeweler directs Haldon to the very same stall upon which Erevan, Auren, and Horvik have converged. He (Haldon, not the jeweler) would probably be approaching just as he hears the fighter's triumphant cry trail off into curses, as he (Horvik, not Haldon) fails to grapple his quarry -- whatever it may be....

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:39 pm
by shesheyan
Everan's initiative : 4+2 = 6.

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:01 pm
by torkill13

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:51 pm
by Princess Strega
Initiative: 16+3=19

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 am
by mah9
Initiative roll: [1d20] = 18

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:46 pm
by RobJN
Initiative goes:
Auren > Haldon > Horvik > Goblin? > Erevan

Auren is currently outside the stall, perhaps 20 feet away from the action, at most. Her view is obscured by the sagging awning, which droops nearly to the level of the merchandise planking. Horvik is just inside the gap in the corner of said planking -- the "doorway" if you will.

Things look sort of like... this (Not to scale)
Image

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 pm
by mah9
Haldon walks quickly towards the stall, his hand on his war hammer, ready to draw if necessary.

"Horvik! Are you ok in there?"

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 pm
by torkill13
mah9 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 pm
"Horvik! Are you ok in there?"
"Aye. Think I had a bit too much ale at breakfast!" the fighter grumbled as he caught his balance on the wall to his right. He swung his shield wildly to his left, trying to knock this things off it's feet. His right hand followed the arc of the shield, in another attempt to grab the small creature. "Come here, ya little boot licker!" he cursed, though whether he was talking to his target or the dwarf was unclear.

Bonus Action: Shield Shove: [1d20+5] = 5+5 = 10
Action: Grapple: [1d20+5] = 3+5 = 8

Re: [TC1 Reboot] Act I: Little Girl(s) Lost

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 pm
by Princess Strega
Auren sneaks to the back of the stall, trying to be careful to not cast shadows.

Stealth: 15 + 3 = 18