Fomorians in 4E - What is known about them?

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Fomorians in 4E - What is known about them?

Post by Havard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:05 pm

In this Mystara related thread, I am asking the question of who could fill the niche of Fomorians in that setting.

This got me to read up a bit more on how 4E expanded on Fomorians. They seemed to have become much more important in this edition.

I know that they are tied to the Feywild and are the main enemies of the Eladrin. New Fomorian subtypes in 4E were the fomorian warrior, the fomorian painbringer, The fomorian ghost shaman, fomorian cackler, fomorian totemist, fomorian blinder and fomorian butcher.

What else is know about Fomorians in 4E?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Fomorians in 4E - What is known about them?

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Fomorians in 4e are the lords of the Feydark (the Feywild's Underdark). They are a response of the Feywild to the titans from the mortal World. I mean, they just coalesced out of the Feywild at the moment the Primordials created the first titans in the mortal world.

We don't know much about the earlier fomorian history. The few known facts are that they fought against other fey races before the Dawn War and that they succeeded in enslaving many of the weaker fey races, such as gnomes and hengeyokai. It was during this point of time that their enmity against the elves began (these are the original elves, from before the race split into the many elven subraces of today). Some legends also state that they created cyclopes to be their servants.

At some point before or during the earlier phase of the Dawn War, Thrumbolg the First Lord of the fomorians conquered the goblinoid citadel of Mag Tureah, and enslaved the goblins there. He either killed the "lord" of Mag Tureah (that legends state it was some kind of "dark force") or allied with it. Either way, Thrumbolg became the new lord of Mag Tureath. He still there, plotting his evil plans and the like.

During the Kinstrife War (when the drow betrayed the rest of elvenkind, dividing the race into eladrin, elves-and their subraces-and drow), the fomorians joined Lolth's forces. They were defeated and driven away by the eladrin at the site were the citadel-city of Mithrendain was later build. After the Kinstrife War, the eladrin attacked the fomorian cities and forced them to retreat into the Feydark. During this battle, they unintentionally freed the gnomes and the hengeyokai. Most hengeyokai were killed by the eladrin because they believed the fomorians had created them. The few survivors scattered across the Feywild and the mortal world. The gnomes also scattered, though most of them joined the eladrin in their war effort against the fomorians. Since then, the two races have fought small skirmishes, but no great war.

It seems that the fomorians are also the reason drow don't inhabit the Feydark and instead live in the Underdark. It seems both races are enemies, and the drow prefer to not mess with the fomorians.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 am

Great summary, Zeromaru X.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks! That is pretty fascinating! I never really looked at this race in 1st and 2nd Edition...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:00 am

AFAIK, aren't they just dumb giants with an ugly eye in every other edition? I mean, AFAIK, fomorians only have a compelling lore in 4e.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:56 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:00 am
AFAIK, aren't they just dumb giants with an ugly eye in every other edition? I mean, AFAIK, fomorians only have a compelling lore in 4e.
Basically (they all have some deformity, but it isn't necessarily an eye). They have the lore they've inherited from Celtic mythology in HR3 Celts Campaign Sourcebook, though, which is where I got the idea of folding other kinds of deformed giants into the same race.

Return to “Nentir Vale”