How to get started with the Nentir Vale

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

How to get started with the Nentir Vale

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:07 pm

I came across this blog post describing where those who are new to the Nentir Vale can get started learning about the setting: https://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2019 ... nd-4e.html

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: How to get started with the Nentir Vale

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:55 am

Thanks for pointing this out. I've always felt that Nentir Vale need some sort of starting guide --kind of Eberron's Wayfinder Guide. That they cancelled the Gazeetter is something I still can't forgive WotC for, lol

If only the DM's Guild allowed to publish Nentir Vale stuff...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:55 am
Thanks for pointing this out. I've always felt that Nentir Vale need some sort of starting guide --kind of Eberron's Wayfinder Guide. That they cancelled the Gazeetter is something I still can't forgive WotC for, lol

If only the DM's Guild allowed to publish Nentir Vale stuff...
I think that DMs Guild having an Eberron book is largely down to Keith Baker (backed by fans on Patreon) writing a ton of free material for Eberron and Maze Arcana working to raise the notability of Eberron on Twitch.

D&D Beyond has done a Nentir Vale show on Twitch, which is half the equation. Maybe someone could get similar stuff to the stuff Keith Baker made for Eberron made for Nentir Vale.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Well, the great diference is that not only Eberron has the support of his author, but also has the support of a large, dedicated fandom. That's a great factor, I guess.

Whereas, Nentir Vale has only a small fandom (however dedicated), and is still stained by 4e's bad reputation.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:58 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 pm
Well, the great diference is that not only Eberron has the support of his author, but also has the support of a large, dedicated fandom. That's a great factor, I guess.
It's helped put Eberron ahead of other campaign settings (not just Nentir Vale). :)

But that's only really an advantage if someone is looking to sell 5e content to Eberron fans. If people are fans of settings other than Eberron, of if they don't want to play 5e, they are less likely to care about what DMs Guild is doing.
Zeromaru X wrote:
Whereas, Nentir Vale has only a small fandom (however dedicated), and is still stained by 4e's bad reputation.
The first thing is just really a matter of time. If you have a bigger pool of fans who write content, you can share the load and make things faster. But you have proved that you can create awesome things by yourself. That means that if you can continue to do that, Nentir Vale fandom will move forwards.

As for the 4th Edition thing, if you check the posting stats in The Crunchy Bits you can see that there are more posts about 4e, than 3e, 2e or 1e. So while there were people complaining about it, back in the day, I'm not so sure you need to worry about those people. They just are not your potential audience. And that's fine.

I think you can focus on positive things, like Raging Owlbear's blog, appeal to the audience who are already interested in Nentir Vale. And try to make it easier for curious people to find out more about the setting.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Nentir Vale has only a small fandom (however dedicated), and is still stained by 4e's bad reputation.
While this problem hasn't gone away, in the half decade since 4e stop having new products published, I've watched the overall attitude toward it soften. There's a whole new generation of gamers who were introduced to 5e and don't know 4e from 3e or any other edition. Even if they've heard something bad about a prior edition, they didn't live through the Edition Wars, and are less likely to have those attitudes stick with them. That's not to say there aren't those out there who will still bash 4e at every given opportunity, but I also follow 4e communities where newcomers show curiosity after hearing Matt Colville talk about incorporating some 4e concepts into his 5e games.

While I wouldn't recommend starting a conversation about the Nentir Vale with "it's the default setting for D&D 4e," I think the setting is worth talking about, sharing what makes it different.

I also hope that Heroes of the Vale eventually ends up returning to the Vale. I don't think the show is hurting the perception of the setting right now, as the majority of it has taken place in another plane, but it certainly isn't helping, either. But if there was a solid season that actually took advantage of the cool plot points available in the Nentir Vale, that could make a big difference.

Matrix Sorcica
Goblin

Post by Matrix Sorcica » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:39 am

Reg. getting started with Nentir Vale: There's great discussions going on right now at rpg.net.

Here's a Let's read that I think are going great places: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads ... th.844634/

A thread on the Nentir Vale: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads ... le.844564/

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:01 am

Matrix Sorcica wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:39 am
Reg. getting started with Nentir Vale: There's great discussions going on right now at rpg.net.

Here's a Let's read that I think are going great places: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads ... th.844634/

A thread on the Nentir Vale: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads ... le.844564/
Those are solid resources for newcomers.

RagingOwlbear
Goblin

Post by RagingOwlbear » Tue May 07, 2019 3:53 pm

I mentioned these on the other thread, but these are some of my favorite adventures from Dungeon than can be placed in the Vale (if not there already). http://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2018/ ... nd-4e.html

I also have an index of the Chaos Scar adventures:
http://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/2018/ ... nd-4e.html

Return to “Nentir Vale”