How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Original Dungeons & Dragons (White Boxed Set)
6%
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Holmes)
4%
Dungeons & Dragons B/X (Moldvay/Cook)
10%
Dungeons & Dragons BECMI (Mentzer)
16%
Dungeons & Dragons Black Box/Rules Cyclopedia
13%
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition)
12%
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition/Revised 2nd Edition (Players Options
13%
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition/Revised 3.5 Edition
9%
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition/Essentials
4%
Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)
12%

Total votes: 317

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: How many D&D editions are you interested in?

Post by Coronoides » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:17 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 pm
willpell wrote:You're right, I was thinking of Council of Wyrms, that's the other big thing I'm interested in which is 2E only.
I'm still deciding on whether to buy the Council of Wyrms boxed set or the Council of Wyrms hardback. The hardback has a few extra things, but is missing the maps.
I'd recommend the box. The posters and cards are good to have. The big map is invaluable because dragons travel a lot. The extras in the book are all reprints of dragon magazine articles. Maybe pick up the book as a pdf to get these.
Official Council of Wryms is 2e only but there is always my 5e conversion...
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm

I never responded to this before because I didn’t know how I felt to be honest, but I think I finally understand my outlook on gaming now.

It’s all about the stories, and in many cases the memories. I’m 43 and have “played” D&D since I was before I was a teen. I’ve never cared all too much about rulesets and sometimes I don’t even play the game, I just read (even adventures). So for me, I’m interested in every edition. For a long time that used to have the exception of 4th ed because I thought it blew up my Forgotten Realms story beyond repair, but I feel like it actually has been repaired. And now, thanks to advocates like Zeromaru, I have actually found myself liking some 4e lore.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 pm

talsine wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:40 am
4E stat blocks are less complicated than most other stat blocks i have encountered, including for 5E because everything that you need is there. Unlike, say, 3E or 5E which have stat blocks full of spells (many useless) that are not listed there and instead must be referenced in another book.
I'm a big fan of 4e's monster design, too. I played in a 5e game yesterday, where the DM had to flip back and forth for spells each round, and was reminded of exactly this. There are certainly game aids or advanced prep that can mitigate this in other games/editions, but I really like how 4e puts all the pertinent information in one place. It's one of the things I appreciate about 13th Age monster design, too.
talsine wrote:
[M]ost powers are simpler to understand than your average spell since they are not written using Natural Language (omg, i hate natural language. I just need to know what the ability does. if you want to add fluff, please make sure it is completely separate from the rules text. Ambiguity is awful in mechanics.) This also allows them to be re fluffed on the fly the way you want, cause it isn't defined in the text as specifically part of the spell.
This aspect of 4e design allowed me to rapidly create "new" powers for my PCs (or my players' PCs if I was the DM). Since they were mechanically the same as existing powers, I didn't have to worry about unbalancing things – at least not more than I would with the existing power. This is another aspect of 4e that I take advantage of in 13th Age's design.
talsine wrote:
As for the comment all the way up about playing something and liking it anyway, in thoery thats true, a good group can make anything fun, but I have played all of the games I mentioned, and i don't continue to play them because the mechanics don't interest me, and the artificially limit who and what my character is and what they can do.
The arguments for and against the statement that a good GM can make any rules system work with any concept are lengthy and make for interesting discussions, as long as everyone keeps a civil tone. Since this one goes beyond a discussion of specific D&D editions, I'd suggest creating a separate thread for further discussion.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 am

Seethyr wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm
I never responded to this before because I didn’t know how I felt to be honest, but I think I finally understand my outlook on gaming now.

It’s all about the stories, and in many cases the memories. I’m 43 and have “played” D&D since I was before I was a teen. I’ve never cared all too much about rulesets and sometimes I don’t even play the game, I just read (even adventures). So for me, I’m interested in every edition. For a long time that used to have the exception of 4th ed because I thought it blew up my Forgotten Realms story beyond repair, but I feel like it actually has been repaired. And now, thanks to advocates like Zeromaru, I have actually found myself liking some 4e lore.
Oh, that's good to hear. I believe that 4e has good and bad things, and that people only look at the bad things. It's good to know people is given 4e the chance.

It makes me feel ashamed, though, because I haven't given the same chance to other editions, lol So, I guess I need to do it, now. :mrgreen:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:00 pm

I've been on and off the fence over which editions I am interested in. Over the last month and a half I've settled on a pillar of nostalgia. That's not to say I'm looking through rose-colored goggles, but rather I took a long hard look at what I love about past editions and what I am willing to spend money on...there's only so much I like and I don't have the money to collect everything, even if I do buy what is available through print-on-demand.

The editions I care to invest in again are 1E, 2E & 3E for play-ability but with tight focus on certain settings and supplements for 2E and 3E. I'm also willing to invest in 4E, but only very selectively.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”