[Shadowrun] 6th Edition

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Shadowrun] 6th Edition

Post by shesheyan » Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Seems like they are trying to streamline the system to make it play faster and smoother. It is scheduled for release this August (2019). Are you interested in this new edition?

Except : «Anyway, this means that if the rules were changed, they needed to be changed with an eye toward enabling players to do the things that they wanted to do more quickly. Combat should be faster. Hacking should be smoother and more intuitive. Magic should adapt to be just what the caster wants it to be. And so on.»

http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/2019/0 ... Eyu38CS5bA

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Shadowrun] 6th Edition

Post by Havard » Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm

I don't know. I have the 5th Edition, but have never had a chance to play it. I liked some of the revisions to the setting from that edition. I have only played the early editions, so faster and smoother certainly seems welcome based on those experiences.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 pm

I was just eyeing up 5E at my local Barnes & Noble. I have no experience with Shadowrun, but I am heavily intrigued by the setting....might be some stuff worth raiding for an urban fantasy Pathfinder game. Funds permitting I may pick up 6E this upcoming Holiday season.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 pm

I've played 2e, 3e, 4e, Anarchy and 5e. And TBH I think I'll just stick with 2e
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 pm
What makes 2e better than the other editions that came after?

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 pm
Kythkyn wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 pm
What makes 2e better than the other editions that came after?
IDK that it's better, just that I kind of like how it works, and I like the lack of emphasis on bio- and nano-tech. And I like that deckers still have to jack into things, as opposed to all wireless. Also, the art. And the feeling of the book. But I also haven't ever run it, I only play. I've only ever run Shadowrun: Anarchy

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri May 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 pm
IDK that it's better, just that I kind of like how it works, and I like the lack of emphasis on bio- and nano-tech. And I like that deckers still have to jack into things, as opposed to all wireless. Also, the art. And the feeling of the book. But I also haven't ever run it, I only play. I've only ever run Shadowrun: Anarchy
While I did enjoy how they explained the progression to wireless systems in the 5e of SR, I can certainly see the appeal of pre-wireless sci-fi. It feels retro-futuristic now, but it was sooooo cutting edge in the early 80s when Gibson's novels came out. ;)

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:54 pm
While I did enjoy how they explained the progression to wireless systems in the 5e of SR, I can certainly see the appeal of pre-wireless sci-fi. It feels retro-futuristic now, but it was sooooo cutting edge in the early 80s when Gibson's novels came out. ;)
That's 100% it right there. I love the retro-futurism of what might have been (sans the elves and magic, because...) I love the æsthetic of it all

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun May 19, 2019 4:59 pm

My friend calls this "the future that was". Playing early editions of Shadowrun now is like simulating the future as we once imagined it to be. I do see the appeal in that and I have run games like that myself. Occasionally, it is difficult to get your head back into that mindset though.

The biggest advantage I see with the new version of the Matrix (Cyberspace), in addition to it being more in line with modern views of how science works, is that you avoid having hacking the way it worked in early editions where it was effectively its own little mini-game. So once the decker got jacked in, everyone else had to take a break and wait for the hacker to play his game and then they could come back and play. Even if there might be a need to defend the Decker in the real world, the fact that rounds worked differently in the Matrix, means that the Decker player gets to do tons of things in between the other characters performing actions.

In 4th Edition and beyond, the Matrix was changed so instead of Deckers you now have Technomancers who are always jacked in through WiFi and become almost like Wizards in Fantasy RPGs, controlling technnology around the PCs while remaining active in the real world. You also have Riggers who control drones and other devices with their minds.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue May 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:59 pm
My friend calls this "the future that was". Playing early editions of Shadowrun now is like simulating the future as we once imagined it to be. I do see the appeal in that and I have run games like that myself. Occasionally, it is difficult to get your head back into that mindset though.

The biggest advantage I see with the new version of the Matrix (Cyberspace), in addition to it being more in line with modern views of how science works, is that you avoid having hacking the way it worked in early editions where it was effectively its own little mini-game. So once the decker got jacked in, everyone else had to take a break and wait for the hacker to play his game and then they could come back and play. Even if there might be a need to defend the Decker in the real world, the fact that rounds worked differently in the Matrix, means that the Decker player gets to do tons of things in between the other characters performing actions.

In 4th Edition and beyond, the Matrix was changed so instead of Deckers you now have Technomancers who are always jacked in through WiFi and become almost like Wizards in Fantasy RPGs, controlling technnology around the PCs while remaining active in the real world. You also have Riggers who control drones and other devices with their minds.

-Havard
From what I'm told by players of SR, hacking was indeed a game within the game. It could get boring for the other players. Too much spotlight on one character is to be avoided, unless it is a character development adventure.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Havard wrote:
... is that you avoid having hacking the way it worked in early editions where it was effectively its own little mini-game. So once the decker got jacked in, everyone else had to take a break and wait for the hacker to play his game and then they could come back and play...
shesheyan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:52 pm
From what I'm told by players of SR, hacking was indeed a game within the game. It could get boring for the other players. Too much spotlight on one character is to be avoided, unless it is a character development adventure.
I think the reason that this has never been an issue in the SR games I have been in, is because including the GM, we've never had more than four people at a SR game. So it gives ample time to focus on each character's unique fun stuff, and not get boring or feel like spotlight time is soaked up. An example from a session we played: my decker did her hacking stuff in a building, and yeah, the other two waited for me to be done. But when the combat broke out, my decker hid somewhere, because she is not a fighter. And likewise, they did their cool stuff, and my decker waited for the smoke to clear.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm
Havard wrote:
... is that you avoid having hacking the way it worked in early editions where it was effectively its own little mini-game. So once the decker got jacked in, everyone else had to take a break and wait for the hacker to play his game and then they could come back and play...
shesheyan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:52 pm
I think the reason that this has never been an issue in the SR games I have been in, is because including the GM, we've never had more than four people at a SR game. So it gives ample time to focus on each character's unique fun stuff, and not get boring or feel like spotlight time is soaked up. An example from a session we played: my decker did her hacking stuff in a building, and yeah, the other two waited for me to be done. But when the combat broke out, my decker hid somewhere, because she is not a fighter. And likewise, they did their cool stuff, and my decker waited for the smoke to clear.
Lower number of players does help a lot. I once did a Shadowrun-like mini-campaign using Savage Worlds and the Inferface Zero 2.0 cyberpunk setting. It worked great because I had only four players. We played the hacker as «the guy in a chair» who never leaves his tech lair and works via satellite and localized hacking devices the characters carried on site for him to use from afar.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Sun May 26, 2019 5:55 am

shesheyan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 pm
We played the hacker as «the guy in a chair» who never leaves his tech lair and works via satellite and localized hacking devices the characters carried on site for him to use from afar.
My Decker is also a stripper. So very different hacker archetypes :lol:

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun May 26, 2019 12:11 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:55 am
shesheyan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 pm
We played the hacker as «the guy in a chair» who never leaves his tech lair and works via satellite and localized hacking devices the characters carried on site for him to use from afar.
My Decker is also a stripper. So very different hacker archetypes :lol:
Was her name Zhora by any chance? ;)

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Sun May 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Kitten. Or Lexi, depending on who you asked ^_^

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”