[TORG] Does TORG have campaign settings?

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[TORG] Does TORG have campaign settings?

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 28, 2019 2:10 pm

I've had someone talking to me about TORG, but I'm confused over how much of TORG is rules and how much is campaign setting.

Is there one campaign setting for TORG or does it have multiple campaign settings?

If there is more than one setting, how are you supposed to know which books support which setting?

I know that there is a new version of TORG out, called Torg Eternity. Does that support the same campaign settings as the original TORG?

Have any old TORG settings been dropped by Torg Eternity? Have any of them had a major reboot?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: [TORG] Does TORG have campaign settings?

Post by Ashtagon » Tue May 28, 2019 3:53 pm

I don't know full details of TORG eternity. My understanding is it is essentially a re-write of the original metasetting, but with some changes to each subsetting to a) make it more adventure-friendly, b) write out some weird zee-rust issues, and c) edit things to better fit with current ideas of what an appropriate nemesis cosm would be for each part of the world.

Overall, the core setting ("Core Earth") was essentially our Earth, but with the heroics kicked up a notch. The "world laws" enabled anyone who chose to act heroic to be larger-than-life, albeit still largely within normal human capability.

The invading "cosms" essentially formed subsettings, where another reality had imposed its own world laws on our own, in an attempt to reject our reality and substitute it with their own (and drain metaphysical energy in the process). Each invading cosm had its own unique set of world laws.

At a minimum, you'd need the core boxed set and one (or more) of the subsetting books.

The main invading cosms were:

Living Land (dinosaurs in North America)
Aysle (high fantasy in Britain and Scandinavia)
Cyberpapacy (heretical cybertech priests in France)
Nile Empire (Nazi expy ancient Egyptian cultists crossed with pulp era dime novel heroes and villains in North Africa)
Orrorsh (horror monsters in Indonesia)
Nippon Tech (cyberpunk Japan without overt cybernetics; heavy on the "late stage capitalism" vibe)
Tharkold (cybernetic horror)

Later books introduced other subsettings.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

TorgHacker
Goblin

Post by TorgHacker » Tue May 28, 2019 10:09 pm

Ashtagon pretty much has it correct.

However, you don't _need_ the new cosm sourcebooks, but we've written then so that hopefully people want them. It's not like in the original game where each cosm sourcebook introduced a new set of rules for magic, or weird science, or such. Torg Eternity is a more unified system.

Essentially think of Torg Eternity as a reboot of Star Trek. There are familiar elements but defintitely some changes too. We tried to make it so that what worked, we kept, and what didn't we either got rid of it, or we added something.

The Living Land got an upgrade in having Wonders, which are little pockets of different realities of ruined universes. Can be pretty much anything in those ones.

Aysle is the next Kickstarter to come, but it's mostly the same, at least as far as background.

Cyberpapacy is the one after that, and it's a bit different but not substantially so.

Nile Empire is out already and again, not a lot different setting-wise.

Orrorsh isn't quite as deadly, but frequently its influence is felt in other areas...but also its in India instead of Indonesia.

Nippon Tech is now called Pan-Pacifica and involves Korea and China as well as Japan now. It's more biopunk this time, with a dash of a zombie plague ala 28 Days Later. This one is pretty significantly different.

Tharkold in Original Torg was defeated on the first day of the invasion, but came back later. It's toned down a bit, but it's in the setting right from the get-go this time around.

The one "cosm" that is not in Torg Eternity are the Space Gods...sorta. They have a substantially different story that's been slowly playing out, and is being highlighted in the new Relics of Power adventure which is coming out serially (the first two parts out of 7 are out now to backers).
RPG Freelance Designer
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Firefly RPG
Torg Eternity

TorgHacker
Goblin

Post by TorgHacker » Tue May 28, 2019 10:10 pm

But here's my elevator pitch:

"Imagine a role-playing game with an adventuring party consisting of John McClane, Harry Potter, Van Helsing, Captain America, Lara Croft, and Neo. One week they travel to New York to race against Belloq to find treasures in Land of the Lost. The next week they go to Cairo to fight ninjas in the world of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The following week they go to France and fight the Spanish Inquisition in The Matrix. And all three of those settings are in the same world. That's Torg."
RPG Freelance Designer
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Firefly RPG
Torg Eternity

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu May 30, 2019 10:37 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:09 pm
The one "cosm" that is not in Torg Eternity are the Space Gods...sorta. They have a substantially different story that's been slowly playing out, and is being highlighted in the new Relics of Power adventure which is coming out serially (the first two parts out of 7 are out now to backers).
Nice! I always liked the Space Gods. I was a little disappointed they were not included in TORG Eternity, at least initially, so its great to see that they are coming back. I am curious to see how the new take on them will be.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”