[AGE] Fantasy vs Modern

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

agathokles
Red Dragon

[AGE] Fantasy vs Modern

Post by agathokles » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Obviously these two systems are both based on the same core mechanics, derived from Dragon Age RPG. As far as I understand, Green Ronin changed at least the abilities (breaking out Accuracy and Fighting from Dexterity and Strength, folding Magic into Intelligence and Willpower). Other changes I'm aware of are related to a reorganization of the backgrounds (in Dragon Age, backgrounds include race and culture/social standing, and are generally also tied to a choice between magical and non-magical classes), and a different acquisition rate for specializations.
Also, Modern breaks away from the class structure of the other two.

Any other significant difference?

Also, how difficult would it be to use Modern AGE to generate a classless (or class-light) version of Fantasy AGE?

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [AGE] Fantasy vs Modern

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:36 pm

Modern introduces «Toughness» as natural/dodge armor reduction. In a modern world most people don't run around wearing body armor. If they do they usually get arrested.

I used to think like you before I read FAGE. I wondered why FAGE was not classless like Modern AGE. But the truth is that even though FAGE does have three basic classes, those classes are so open-ended (light) that it feels almost classless.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:03 pm

agathokles wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Yes, there are different modes of play, which impact hit points, lethality, armour, damage and some stunts. Some of the talents work differently, even if they have the same or strikingly similar names. Modern AGE does not rely on weapon groups, whereas Fantasy AGE does. And the way characters are built works under different parameters, even outside of one being classless and one being lightly class based
Also, how difficult would it be to use Modern AGE to generate a classless (or class-light) version of Fantasy AGE?
It's not too difficult, but it takes some leg work. Check out this thread to get an idea of what it could look like: Hyborian AGE
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm

How hard is it to inject Fantasy into Modern? I have an idea for an urban fantasy game that I might like to try with AGE, but not sure how well it could work within the mechanics.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm
How hard is it to inject Fantasy into Modern? I have an idea for an urban fantasy game that I might like to try with AGE, but not sure how well it could work within the mechanics.
What parts of fantasy? There is already a chapter in the core book for magic, and the companion has extensive stuff for adding elves and orcs and magic items

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:34 pm
Angel Tarragon wrote:
What parts of fantasy? There is already a chapter in the core book for magic, and the companion has extensive stuff for adding elves and orcs and magic items
I'd like to do something that is like a mix of Bright & Greyhawk 2000.

Social Media

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 pm
Kythkyn wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:34 pm
Angel Tarragon wrote:
I'd like to do something that is like a mix of Bright & Greyhawk 2000.
Super easily done! I am actually converting a modern fantasy game from d20 Modern I started years ago into Modern AGE right now. I'll share so you can see what kinds of things the system can do!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 pm
Super easily done! I am actually converting a modern fantasy game from d20 Modern I started years ago into Modern AGE right now. I'll share so you can see what kinds of things the system can do!
Sweet, thanks!

Social Media

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:56 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:03 pm
agathokles wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Yes, there are different modes of play, which impact hit points, lethality, armour, damage and some stunts. Some of the talents work differently, even if they have the same or strikingly similar names. Modern AGE does not rely on weapon groups, whereas Fantasy AGE does. And the way characters are built works under different parameters, even outside of one being classless and one being lightly class based
It's not too difficult, but it takes some leg work. Check out this thread to get an idea of what it could look like: Hyborian AGE
Thanks for the feedback!
G

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”