[Dave Arneson Day] Dave Arneson Documentary Trailer Revealed

The totally-official, off-topic, liable-for-purging board.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Dave Arneson Day] Dave Arneson Documentary Trailer Revealed

Post by Havard » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:07 pm

Today, October 1st, is Dave Arneson's birthday. As always we celebrate Dave Arneson Day by sharing Blackmoor related material. This year I have something very special to share. The trailer for an upcoming documentary about Dave Arneson has just dropped! The producers became aware that their trailer may have gotten leaked by accident, so they contacted me about doing an official release on my blog to counteract the leak. I suggested that they should release the trailer for Dave's birthday, and they liked that idea. I still have no information about when the movie will be released, but it looks like this is not going to be a Kickstarter project.

Being the huge Blackmoor fan that I am, I am very excited to see what new light this movie will shed on the life of D&D Co-creator Dave Arneson and the role he played in shaping our hobby. This documentary is sure to create some controversy. Dave Arneson deserves a documentary about him and I can't wait to watch it!" I have known about this project for a while as production has been going on for about three years. I am not involved in the project but I did help answer some questions and connect the film makers with some of the people appearing in the documentary.

Find out more details and watch the Trailer here.

Also check out this thread at the Comeback Inn for more details and discussion.

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: [Dave Arneson Day] Dave Arneson Documentary Trailer Reve

Post by Hugin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:29 am

Very awesome! I really look forward to one day being able to watch this!

Although, your post confused me for just a few moments - it's only September 30th in my reality. :P

So before I do anything for Dave Arneson Day, I'll have to sleep on it. ;) (Well, actually I have to play our Friday night game of D&D... and then sleep on it.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:28 am

That's a bit over the top, but it kind-of works. I think I'm really going to like this documentary.

It's a shame they didn't make one while Dave Arneson was still alive. But it's great to have his players talking about stuff. "I am the first dwarf" should be on that guy's T-shirt. :-)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:That's a bit over the top, but it kind-of works. I think I'm really going to like this documentary.

It's a shame they didn't make one while Dave Arneson was still alive. But it's great to have his players talking about stuff. "I am the first dwarf" should be on that guy's T-shirt. :-)
What I really like about what we've seen in the trailer is that we get to see the faces of all of these players from Dave Arneson's Campaign. If you take a look at the NPCs from the DA module series, the most of the major NPCs in those modules are based on the characters these players used in that campaign back in the early 1970s.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:59 pm

Havard wrote:If you take a look at the NPCs from the DA module series, the most of the major NPCs in those modules are based on the characters these players used in that campaign back in the early 1970s.
Ya, that connection will be fun to see!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:51 pm

A bit of more news on this as a description for the trailer has been released.

You can read it and my thoughts on it here: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... ption.html

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:10 am

Havard wrote:A bit of more news on this as a description for the trailer has been released.

You can read it and my thoughts on it here: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... ption.html
Thanks for that.

I don't think I'm too worried about there being a "Dave vs Gary" theme to the documentary. Dave and Gary were a team and they built D&D together and anyone who wants to fight over it is really a bit of a numpty. We know that the Forgotten Realms existed before D&D. Blackmoor did too. The reality is that some of the elements of D&D pre-date it. Knowing where they come from is interesting to historians.

I just want to listen to Dave's players and find out what was happening around his table. (And maybe find out if anything in Spelljammer has it's roots in Dave Arneson's games. ;) )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Tabard Inn”