Bruce Heard's Calidar

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Moderator: Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Bruce Heard's Calidar

Post by Thorf »

Today's publication of Issue 1 of Threshold: The Mystara Magazine came with an interview with the power behind the throne of Mystara, Bruce Heard. In it, Bruce revealed some tantalising info the new world he is working on - not least of which is the name of the world, and indeed the setting:
Bruce Heard wrote:The new setting is called Calidar, from the name of its main world. The present series of stories will have the subtitle “In Stranger Skies.” This universe is designed to promote airships and their voyages in the skies and through outer space.
He said quite a bit more, but I won't spoil it for you here - go and read the interview yourself over at the Vaults of Pandius.

In fact, go and read it now - and then come back here to post your impressions, comments, speculation and (in my case at least!) general excitement. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Thorf on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Bruce Heard's Calidar

Post by Havard »

I am super-excited about this! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie »

I wonder if we can find a way to shoe-horn Calidar into Mystara, unofficially.. :twisted:

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I'm very excited about this as well! One of the reasons I kept picking up Dragon Mag back in the day was for the VotPA articles (and other occasional articles done by Bruce and others that featured Mystara). While I'm a bit sad to see that crew sail off into the sunset, I'm also excited that Bruce will get to continue on with a new crew in a new world. I can't wait to see what adventures he has lined up for us!

Where do I sign up? :mrgreen:
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf »

Chimpman wrote:I'm very excited about this as well! One of the reasons I kept picking up Dragon Mag back in the day was for the VotPA articles (and other occasional articles done by Bruce and others that featured Mystara).
It was the same for me - I scanned the beginning of every article for the bold text D&D, but it appeared frustratingly little. But the Princess Ark series more than made up for that, providing Dragon with what I still believe was its best series of articles, and giving Mystara and classic D&D fans a much-welcome sign that we weren't completely forgotten.

Add to that the wonderful mix of story and gazetteer-type content, and the letters sections, which provided a taste of what we now get to do online (i.e. interacting with the creators) in the pre-Internet era.
While I'm a bit sad to see that crew sail off into the sunset, I'm also excited that Bruce will get to continue on with a new crew in a new world. I can't wait to see what adventures he has lined up for us!
I summed up my feelings about this in a long comment on Bruce's blog when he announced the new project, and that Wizards are not going to cooperate on getting new Mystara stuff done. Basically I agree with you. Sure, it's sad that we're not going to see more of the Princess Ark, but Bruce has stated that he will continue writing Mystara articles for us - and on top of that, a new setting, with new Princess Ark-style stories and Mystara-style gazetteer info.

When it comes down to it, for me it has become less a matter of the setting (Mystara) and more a matter of loving the style and trusting the talents of the writers. Within that concept, it's actually potentially much more exciting that Bruce is now working on a world without crippling ties to a large corporation, and indeed without an intertwined game system which in turn links the whole setting to economic and political realities of the game (versioning, limited support, fixed schedules, and on and on).

Conceptually it's like your favourite author deciding to start a new series with echoes of their famous established series, but starting again from scratch. Few authors get the chance to do this, because it's a risk that publishers would prefer they didn't take. But imagine if Tolkien had written not a sequel but another take on Lord of the Rings; or if Terry Pratchett decided to write the conceptual successor to Discworld; or if JK Rowling wrote another story about a wizarding world that was similar and yet subtly different from Harry Potter; and so on. Or indeed if Ed Greenwood decided to write the spiritual successor to the Forgotten Realms, or Weiss and Hickman decided to do a new series in the spirit of the old Dragonlance.

I don't know about you, but I'd love to read any one of those - especially since I feel that every one of those authors (has) improved with age. :D
Bruce mentioned in the interview that he will be starting a Kickstarter later in the year. I'm sure we'll hear more about Calidar before then, but until then it doesn't hurt to spread the word and build up interest. That includes here - it's early days yet, but I'm sure that Calidar will be needing its own home here at the Piazza, and this is the first step, isn't it? 9 threads to go!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

What else do we know about the world yet? I'm sure Bruce has dropped a few hints between the Threshold Interview, his blog and other places... :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

The interview sums up most of the known information. I remember a discussion on Facebook regarding choosing an alternate name for Halflings.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Hi all!

I think it would be remiss of me not to drop by after this page was so kindly created. Thank you Thorfinn, and thank you to all who visited! Though there is a lot of work in process now and therefore it is a bit premature for me to get into details, I can however contribute answers in a more general sense. I'll start with Thorf's big post. ;)
Thorf wrote:
Chimpman wrote:I'm very excited about this as well! One of the reasons I kept picking up Dragon Mag back in the day was for the VotPA articles (and other occasional articles done by Bruce and others that featured Mystara).
It was the same for me - I scanned the beginning of every article for the bold text D&D, but it appeared frustratingly little. But the Princess Ark series more than made up for that, providing Dragon with what I still believe was its best series of articles, and giving Mystara and classic D&D fans a much-welcome sign that we weren't completely forgotten.
Strangely, it was the same for me. . . perhaps for a different reason. There was definitely a certain amount of thrill and pride at seeing my stuff in print. Getting responses, back then via snail mail, was even better. The series was popular, and my editor, Roger E. Moore, enjoyed it. Occasionally he and assistant editor Barb Young got a bad case of the giggles at my unsinkable "Frenchisms." But fear not, some thirty years after moving stateside, I still cling to my linguistic peculiarities (or them to me). Whether you like 'em or hate 'em, I think editors are the best thing after popcorn. With Calidar, it's a new ball game altogether. For better or worse, I no longer benefit from the convenient TSR umbrella and all the resources that came with it. The industry is totally different, and in my view a vast improvement. The old model would makes this project very hard to succeed. The task is nonetheless tremendously more complicated, but at least it's a new "home" for this writer. That's an awesome feeling despite the general trepidation at everything that is now involved.
Add to that the wonderful mix of story and gazetteer-type content, and the letters sections, which provided a taste of what we now get to do online (i.e. interacting with the creators) in the pre-Internet era.
While I'm a bit sad to see that crew sail off into the sunset, I'm also excited that Bruce will get to continue on with a new crew in a new world. I can't wait to see what adventures he has lined up for us!
I summed up my feelings about this in a long comment on Bruce's blog when he announced the new project, and that Wizards are not going to cooperate on getting new Mystara stuff done. Basically I agree with you. Sure, it's sad that we're not going to see more of the Princess Ark, but Bruce has stated that he will continue writing Mystara articles for us - and on top of that, a new setting, with new Princess Ark-style stories and Mystara-style gazetteer info.
Yes, of course. But at least adventures in Calidar are the spiritual heirs to those of the Princess Ark. You'll recognize a lot of the original flavor in the new releases, with the exception that they won't be limited to four magazine pages or less. We're talking good art, lots of internal maps, twenty of thirty times more text, and possibly even poster maps. That's more than three-years-worth of Princess-Ark-like articles. Some of this will depend on crowd funding, but that's the present goal. If everything works anywhere near expectations, then possibly two such releases per year could see print, as e-books, PDF, and traditional paper (at least the poster maps). I'm kicking that skyship into turbo mode! :cool:
When it comes down to it, for me it has become less a matter of the setting (Mystara) and more a matter of loving the style and trusting the talents of the writers. Within that concept, it's actually potentially much more exciting that Bruce is now working on a world without crippling ties to a large corporation, and indeed without an intertwined game system which in turn links the whole setting to economic and political realities of the game (versioning, limited support, fixed schedules, and on and on).

Conceptually it's like your favourite author deciding to start a new series with echoes of their famous established series, but starting again from scratch. Few authors get the chance to do this, because it's a risk that publishers would prefer they didn't take. But imagine if Tolkien had written not a sequel but another take on Lord of the Rings; or if Terry Pratchett decided to write the conceptual successor to Discworld; or if JK Rowling wrote another story about a wizarding world that was similar and yet subtly different from Harry Potter; and so on. Or indeed if Ed Greenwood decided to write the spiritual successor to the Forgotten Realms, or Weiss and Hickman decided to do a new series in the spirit of the old Dragonlance.

I don't know about you, but I'd love to read any one of those - especially since I feel that every one of those authors (has) improved with age. :D
Oh, I've sure improved with age. . . like a good wine you know, I've definitely gained more body. And a new wardrobe to go with it too, uh-huh. :P
Bruce mentioned in the interview that he will be starting a Kickstarter later in the year. I'm sure we'll hear more about Calidar before then, but until then it doesn't hurt to spread the word and build up interest. That includes here - it's early days yet, but I'm sure that Calidar will be needing its own home here at the Piazza, and this is the first step, isn't it? 9 threads to go!
Thanks, Thorf.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook,
Mystara on Facebook, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

agathokles wrote:The interview sums up most of the known information. I remember a discussion on Facebook regarding choosing an alternate name for Halflings.

GP
Yes, I've adopted the term "fellfolk," people of the hills. Here's a brief description taken from the current draft:

(. . .) "About half the size of common crew members, their teeth filed into sharp triangles, their skins covered with tattoos and dyed various shades of green, these fellfolk wore no more than strings holding pieces of hide around their waists. A few adorned their black hair with shells, beads, and bones, or kept them in long topknots. Others, smartly holding ironwood maces in their hands, bore pieces of bark and skull fragments as armor. Behind these natives, scores more stood on the branches of a large tree, aiming hunting bows, spears, and long blowguns at the crew. An elder native, rather fat, one-eyed, and with a severe under-bite, elbowed her way through the warriors. Wearing a black-and-white-striped fur headdress with a set of antlers, she shook her staff, a gnarled wooden shaft dangling with feathers, shells, and shrunken heads. "

It's one version. There are others elsewhere who look quite different.

So there! Here's your very first preview! :cool:
Last edited by Ambreville on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Calidar on Facebook,

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Morfie wrote:I wonder if we can find a way to shoe-horn Calidar into Mystara, unofficially.. :twisted:
The other way around, unofficially. :twisted:
Calidar on Facebook,

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Like!
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

Hi Bruce, I wish you the best of luck for this NEW adventure!
Always look forward, during your navigation! Looking back won't help much.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Yaztromo wrote: (. . .) Looking back won't help much.
. . .unless you're building upon something great! At the risk of being flippant, I'd say the future starts in the past. :P

(Thanks.)
Calidar on Facebook,

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

You will build on yourself, rather than on something.
You'll make it incomparably better.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

By the way, are you planning to make Calidar linked to an existing ruleset, adaptable to any ruleset or will you make your own ruleset as well?

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Yaztromo wrote:By the way, are you planning to make Calidar linked to an existing ruleset, adaptable to any ruleset or will you make your own ruleset as well?
It's not linked to a specific ruleset, but because of this it should be adaptable to anything. Considering my background and general experience, Calidar is likely to be D&D-friendly. No, heroes aren't semidragon/cyberinsectoid-assassin/paladins talented with the Force. :P
Calidar on Facebook,

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Ambreville wrote: No, heroes aren't semidragon/cyberinsectoid-assassin/paladins talented with the Force. :P
Then who wants to play in your crummy old game?? :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov »

RobJN wrote:
Ambreville wrote: No, heroes aren't semidragon/cyberinsectoid-assassin/paladins talented with the Force. :P
Old farts like us, but maybe not the munchkin players that goes for "whatever gives the most plusses" or "secret twisted lotus ninja decapitation strike.... :lol:
The quotes are from Jeff Okamoto, Sandy Petersen's & others old description from 1983 of the 4 kinds of role players in different RPG's: Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Loonies and Munchkins?
http://dragon.facetieux.free.fr/jdr/Munchkin.htm
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [Calidar] Bruce Heard's Calidar

Post by Yaztromo »

I actually think that in the long term Bruce will be grateful to the Wizards for forcing him to start a new adventure...

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf »

Yaztromo wrote:I actually think that in the long term Bruce will be grateful to the Wizards for forcing him to start a new adventure...
I'm sure that was not their intent, but I agree wholeheartedly. The most important thing is that Bruce wants to write something like the Princess Ark again. That he has the desire and ability to do this trumps everything, really. Not working with Mystara means total creative freedom, as well as freedom from company politics and other external issues that come part and parcel with a license. It also means freedom from D&D, and thus access to the wider fantasy genre.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

I'm getting more and more frustrated with the idea of huge companies sitting on all these lisences and not doing anything with them. Tracy Hickmann & Margaret Weiss cannot write more Dragonlance novels. Bruce Heard is prevented from doing more VotPA.

Coming up with a new world is probably the best thing Bruce Heard could do. I am really curious to see what it will be like :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Justinov wrote:
RobJN wrote:
Old farts like us, but maybe not the munchkin players that goes for "whatever gives the most plusses" or "secret twisted lotus ninja decapitation strike.... :lol:
The quotes are from Jeff Okamoto, Sandy Petersen's & others old description from 1983 of the 4 kinds of role players in different RPG's: Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Loonies and Munchkins?
http://dragon.facetieux.free.fr/jdr/Munchkin.htm
I must admit I had a good laugh with that long list!
Calidar on Facebook,

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Yaztromo wrote:I actually think that in the long term Bruce will be grateful to the Wizards for forcing him to start a new adventure...
Yes, I've been saying this for some time already. :)
Calidar on Facebook,

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Thorf wrote:
I'm sure that was not their intent, but I agree wholeheartedly. The most important thing is that Bruce wants to write something like the Princess Ark again. That he has the desire and ability to do this trumps everything, really. Not working with Mystara means total creative freedom, as well as freedom from company politics and other external issues that come part and parcel with a license. It also means freedom from D&D, and thus access to the wider fantasy genre.
That's right. The flip side of this is the amount of upfront work to get the bases covered -- redo the world, the main characters, the ship etc, before being able to move ahead freely as I once was able to do. Therein lies the opportunity to improve upon the the original, drawing upon the experience acquired as a writer and general knowledge accumulated in the following 15 or 20 years since the "old days." There were a lot of things said about Mystara (and to a certain degree about VotPA) that stuck in my mind, which I had to heed in the design of Calidar. This impacts not only design issues but how graphic artists can render the world in the best manner possible, preserving the two extremes: pragmatism and visual interpretation.
Calidar on Facebook,

Return to “Calidar”