Bruce Heard's Calidar

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Moderator: Thorf

Ambreville
World Soul

Re: [Calidar] Bruce Heard's Calidar

Post by Ambreville »

Havard wrote:I'm getting more and more frustrated with the idea of huge companies sitting on all these lisences and not doing anything with them. Tracy Hickmann & Margaret Weiss cannot write more Dragonlance novels. Bruce Heard is prevented from doing more VotPA.

Coming up with a new world is probably the best thing Bruce Heard could do. I am really curious to see what it will be like :)

-Havard
I agree. I'm amazed honestly at the lack of foresight, commercial know-how, and business vitality preventing WotC from exploiting their resources and protecting their properties. Events like the recent flap about plagiarism involving Karameikos and the fans constant desire for new materials can only increase the risk that their IPs will be infringed in some way over time. Not only does it put their properties at risk, based on their lack of enforcement, it also cheapens them because of material released that hasn't been screened/proofed adequately. The end result is a plethora of conflicting, ill-fitting interpretations and styles that confuse the original material. And then there are endeavors such as Pathfinder (or mine evidently) which inevitably reap a segment of WotC's market. That's how D&D ended up as the third RPG game on the market, down from being first. Finally, this creative apathy results in a lack of people at the Renton facility who are truly knowledgeable about these IPs and who would be hard pressed to come up with new material faithful to the original property. I can go on this way for a lot longer, but you get the idea.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook,
Mystara on Facebook, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

Ambreville wrote: The flip side of this is the amount of upfront work to get the bases covered -- redo the world, the main characters, the ship etc, before being able to move ahead freely as I once was able to do. ...
But this time it will be 100% YOUR world. No need to ask permits.
Modern tools allow publishing without necessarily going through big companies anymore.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov »

Ambreville wrote: I agree. I'm amazed honestly at the lack of foresight, commercial know-how, and business vitality preventing WotC from exploiting their resources and protecting their properties. Events like the recent flap about plagiarism involving Karameikos and the fans constant desire for new materials can only increase the risk that their IPs will be infringed in some way over time. Not only does it put their properties at risk, based on their lack of enforcement, it also cheapens them because of material released that hasn't been screened/proofed adequately. The end result is a plethora of conflicting, ill-fitting interpretations and styles that confuse the original material. And then there are endeavors such as Pathfinder (or mine evidently) which inevitably reap a segment of WotC's market. That's how D&D ended up as the third RPG game on the market, down from being first. Finally, this creative apathy results in a lack of people at the Renton facility who are truly knowledgeable about these IPs and who would be hard pressed to come up with new material faithful to the original property. I can go on this way for a lot longer, but you get the idea.
Maybe the simple answer is the Wizards of the Coast are basically run by people that know nothing about Role Playing and only look at short time economics in either red or black ink (protecting "old" property might even be seen as to costly compared with the gain). They have no interest in possibilities and is apparently extremely risk-adverse?!
So off course they don't hire people with creative ideas, but just people that do exactly what they say - apparently mostly nothing or just copying "old formulars" -> same as Disney for years, without Pixar the cartoons would never have changed and masterpieces like WallE and Up would never have been created.
Also those with creative ideas are stifled and will eventually seek more fertile pastures.

You can be a company for the fans or a company exclusively for money. Small companies can be driven by passion, while medium-sized companies often end up as fully "professional" - I think that transition change happens in all hobby areas?!
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Justinov wrote:
Ambreville wrote: I agree. I'm amazed honestly at the lack of foresight, commercial know-how, and business vitality preventing WotC from exploiting their resources and protecting their properties. Events like the recent flap about plagiarism involving Karameikos and the fans constant desire for new materials can only increase the risk that their IPs will be infringed in some way over time. Not only does it put their properties at risk, based on their lack of enforcement, it also cheapens them because of material released that hasn't been screened/proofed adequately. The end result is a plethora of conflicting, ill-fitting interpretations and styles that confuse the original material. And then there are endeavors such as Pathfinder (or mine evidently) which inevitably reap a segment of WotC's market. That's how D&D ended up as the third RPG game on the market, down from being first. Finally, this creative apathy results in a lack of people at the Renton facility who are truly knowledgeable about these IPs and who would be hard pressed to come up with new material faithful to the original property. I can go on this way for a lot longer, but you get the idea.
Maybe the simple answer is the Wizards of the Coast are basically run by people that know nothing about Role Playing and only look at short time economics in either red or black ink (protecting "old" property might even be seen as to costly compared with the gain). They have no interest in possibilities and is apparently extremely risk-adverse?!
So off course they don't hire people with creative ideas, but just people that do exactly what they say - apparently mostly nothing or just copying "old formulars" -> same as Disney for years, without Pixar the cartoons would never have changed and masterpieces like WallE and Up would never have been created.
Also those with creative ideas are stifled and will eventually seek more fertile pastures.

You can be a company for the fans or a company exclusively for money. Small companies can be driven by passion, while medium-sized companies often end up as fully "professional" - I think that transition change happens in all hobby areas?!
I think WotC's big problem is that they are owned by Hasbro. The latter is a big corporate entity with little or no empathy for the hobby game publisher that WotC once was.
Calidar on Facebook,

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov »

Ambreville wrote: I think WotC's big problem is that they are owned by Hasbro. The latter is a big corporate entity with little or no empathy for the hobby game publisher that WotC once was.
True - it was maybe intentional of my subconscious not to utter the name of Hasbro :lol:
So the future of RPG rests on the hands of small nerd-driven companies..... ;)
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Ambreville
World Soul

Re: Bruce Heard's Calidar

Post by Ambreville »

By the way I just extended the end date for the Calidar survey. If you plan on backing the project's KS campaign when it comes around this December-January, do fill out the survey so I know what to expect. You'll find it on my blog, in the upper right-hand corner. Thanks!

Aside from Thorf releasing early work maps to illustrate how he developed them, I will be releasing short stories here and elsewhere during the weeks leading to the KS event and during the crowdfunding effort. Hope you enjoy them.
Calidar on Facebook,

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Voted. Sorry it took me so long. Voted captain, though I have considered going for admiral level...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Thanks! (No add-ons?) :)
Calidar on Facebook,

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Ambreville wrote:Thanks! (No add-ons?) :)
Hehe,
will have to see. I am tempted to invest more, but I will also have to see about shipping costs which usually are a PITA for us Europeans when it comes to Kickstarters in general. The cloth map is really what has me tempted though... :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

At this point, I am definitely looking into add-ons in addition to the Captain Level. The more I learn about Calidar, the more I like it! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Hang on, though. I have to change postage for add-on poster maps. Sorry.
Calidar on Facebook,

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie »

Will it be possible to get a pdf of the maps, add on or otherwise?

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Morfie wrote:Will it be possible to get a pdf of the maps, add on or otherwise?
No, sorry. That's the one thing we do not offer.
Calidar on Facebook,

Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Post by Spellweaver »

Voted Captain with add-on #4 ;)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Spellweaver wrote:Voted Captain with add-on #4 ;)
Thank you! :)
Calidar on Facebook,

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Hi Bruce,

Have you given any thought to providing a pledge category between Captain and Admiral? I'm definitely willing to pledge more than Captain... but Admiral may be a little too steep for me.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville »

Chimpman wrote:Hi Bruce,

Have you given any thought to providing a pledge category between Captain and Admiral? I'm definitely willing to pledge more than Captain... but Admiral may be a little too steep for me.
First off, thanks!

To your question: not really, because I don't have a set of rewards that makes much sense. The add-ons should allow you to pick a few more things without pledging at Admiral level. Am I making sense here?
Calidar on Facebook,

Return to “Calidar”