Does Calidar have a Blackmoor?

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Moderator: Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Does Calidar have a Blackmoor?

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:15 pm

I had to ask it...

I mean Blackmoor exists in its own world, Greyhawk and Mystara. Golarion too has its own region that is strangely reminiscent of Arneson's Kingdom. Even Tekumel apparently had some planar connection to Blackmoor defined by its creator.

So, what about Calidar? An ancient high tech civilization hidden in its past? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ambreville
World Soul

Re: Does Calidar have a Blackmoor?

Post by Ambreville » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:41 pm

That could be a problem from a trademark and copyright pov. I'm not sure I want to deal with this. :facepalm:
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook,
Mystara on Facebook, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Yeah, I could see that. Might be better to leave this to fan speculation? ;)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Hmm. A thousands-of-miles-wide Crater in the planet.... what could possibly cause that?

Just sayin'..... :x
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Havard wrote:I had to ask it...
Reminds me of the story of the Scorpion and the Frog. :lol:

According to this blog entry about the Kickstarter, if you back at Admiral level, you could make sure there is something like an Arneson Island in the campaign setting. :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:22 am

Big Mac wrote:According to this blog entry about the Kickstarter, if you back at Admiral level, you could make sure there is something like an Arneson Island in the campaign setting. :twisted:
As long as it's not a copyrighted name, it is certainly possible to do such a thing. If Blackmoor has any generic fantasy names (as I'm sure it must!) it would probably be possible that way. Remember that it also has to be okay'ed by Bruce, so it would be sensible to run your name by him before making a decision. This applies to the add-ons (skyship and character names), too.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:41 am

Thorf wrote:
Big Mac wrote:According to this blog entry about the Kickstarter, if you back at Admiral level, you could make sure there is something like an Arneson Island in the campaign setting. :twisted:
As long as it's not a copyrighted name, it is certainly possible to do such a thing. If Blackmoor has any generic fantasy names (as I'm sure it must!) it would probably be possible that way. Remember that it also has to be okay'ed by Bruce, so it would be sensible to run your name by him before making a decision. This applies to the add-ons (skyship and character names), too.
Maybe Havard could buy a "Darkmoor" island. ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:55 pm

I could go with an Arneson Island since that name isn't copyrighted (although I know I could not get away with a Gygax Island because Gail Carpenter--if she knew about it--would probably object). I am partial to a Ggyx Island though. Darkmoor and Mystral Island would also be acceptable names. :)
Calidar on Facebook,

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Ambreville wrote:I could go with an Arneson Island since that name isn't copyrighted (although I know I could not get away with a Gygax Island because Gail Carpenter--if she knew about it--would probably object). I am partial to a Ggyx Island though. Darkmoor and Mystral Island would also be acceptable names. :)
Darkmoor is a rather cool name. :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:55 am

Ambreville wrote:I am partial to a Ggyx Island though.
I would wonder how to pronounce that. It sounds like a lizardman island name.
Ambreville wrote:Darkmoor and Mystral Island would also be acceptable names. :)
Mystral sounds nice. It has a ring to it.

I'll be very interested to see what the Admirals do with the islands. :)

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Mon May 12, 2014 12:45 am

RobJN wrote:Hmm. A thousands-of-miles-wide Crater in the planet.... what could possibly cause that?
Just sayin'..... :x
I going to go with asteroid...instead of atomic bomb.
My two cents is I like the idea of Calidar not having an advanced past...but perhaps existing in a limited context in the near future.
I mean, this is a world in which Skyships are going to visit different worlds/planes?
We've seen plenty of campaign worlds in the RPG universe having worlds that have technologically advanced civilizations in their past, and possibly in their future.
But no fantasy setting that I can think of offhand has done this successfully without changing the character of a Middle-Ages/Early Renaissance technology the world was rooted in.

Maybe something in the planets nature keeps advanced technology from working planetside; however, all bets are off when entering the void of space.
Possibly immortals/gods would prevent this for fear of losing followers as advanced cultures turn away from religion to embrace technology. ?

As a teenager one of my self-generated worlds had a number of heavy elements, with atomic weights in the three hundreds. It was through these elements that magic was possible. Yet how these elements remained stable was up to debate. WIth the popular theory being the gods had made it so?

In any case looking forward to what Bruce and Thorf come up with.
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 am

Umbramoor?
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Post by Spellweaver » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:15 pm

Havard wrote:I had to ask it...

I mean Blackmoor exists in its own world, Greyhawk and Mystara. Golarion too has its own region that is strangely reminiscent of Arneson's Kingdom. Even Tekumel apparently had some planar connection to Blackmoor defined by its creator.

So, what about Calidar? An ancient high tech civilization hidden in its past? :)

-Havard
Don't forget Lao Kwei was "nuked" into its present state. It may not be Calidar, but there IS a planet with plenty of tech-potential. Also, there are Star Folk who've left lasers and other things for Wayfarers to find - so, more tech :)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:55 am

That's not the impression I got at all about what happened on Lao Kwei Spellweaver.

I would almost go with they watch Eight is Enough too often before saying it was a technological cause...but I guess only Bruce and Thorf know for sure... :mrgreen:

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:03 pm

julius_cleaver wrote:That's not the impression I got at all about what happened on Lao Kwei Spellweaver.

I would almost go with they watch Eight is Enough too often before saying it was a technological cause...but I guess only Bruce and Thorf know for sure... :mrgreen:
Actually:

Text from CAL1: "Lao-Kwei was once a vibrant world with a unique dominant race called the Kahuulkin. Wars led to their once-advanced civilization’s demise, and turned much of the planet into a desert. Much later, it became home to a mix of off-world people, some from Calidar’s Ephemeris and others from outer planes, struggling to return this world to its former glory. (...)"

"Sandy and rocky deserts abound, as well as the ruins of former Kahuulkin cities which haven’t vanished beneath the ever-present red dust. Areas of toxic radiation still exist, especially around ancient ruins. (...)"
Calidar on Facebook,

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Well..."Areas of toxic radiation" certainly lend credence to Jesper's theory.

Good thing I am rereading the entire text. A few things must have fell through the memory cracks! :oops:

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:57 pm

julius_cleaver wrote:Well..."Areas of toxic radiation" certainly lend credence to Jesper's theory.

Good thing I am rereading the entire text. A few things must have fell through the memory cracks! :oops:
LOL! It's really not a theory. The Kahuulkin did blow up their world. Now there's dirty "stuff" buried all over the place for those bold enough to even try using it. Space Vikings of the Fringe are nuts enough to arm their giant longships with it. If Kragdur is a small steampunk corner in Calidar, Lao-Kwei stands as an oriental setting with not so nice ET conspiring in the background. It's almost a Gamma World meets D&D meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with John Carter of Mars on the side and Emperor Ming on top. :o
Calidar on Facebook,

Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Post by Spellweaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:06 pm

Ambreville wrote: LOL! It's really not a theory. The Kahuulkin did blow up their world. Now there's dirty "stuff" buried all over the place for those bold enough to even try using it. Space Vikings of the Fringe are nuts enough to arm their giant longships with it. If Kragdur is a small steampunk corner in Calidar, Lao-Kwei stands as an oriental setting with not so nice ET conspiring in the background. It's almost a Gamma World meets D&D meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with John Carter of Mars on the side and Emperor Ming on top. :o
Which is precisely why we would like the Lao Kwei gazetteer ready by Christmas, okay? ;)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:04 am

Ambreville wrote:
julius_cleaver wrote:Well..."Areas of toxic radiation" certainly lend credence to Jesper's theory.

LOL! It's really not a theory. The Kahuulkin did blow up their world. Now there's dirty "stuff" buried all over the place for those bold enough to even try using it. Space Vikings of the Fringe are nuts enough to arm their giant longships with it. If Kragdur is a small steampunk corner in Calidar, Lao-Kwei stands as an oriental setting with not so nice ET conspiring in the background. It's almost a Gamma World meets D&D meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with John Carter of Mars on the side and Emperor Ming on top. :o
Sounds like a GMO offering from Dolly Madison...

Return to “Calidar”