Is it Hollow?

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Moderator: Thorf

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Is it Hollow?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu May 28, 2015 7:35 pm

I haven't had the time to pore over my campaign setting book (really need to when I get time to), but is there any indication that it is or isn't?
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Ambreville
World Soul

Re: Is it Hollow?

Post by Ambreville » Thu May 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Calidar isn't hollow, but Draconia is.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook,
Mystara on Facebook, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Azure Admiral
Hobgoblin

Post by Azure Admiral » Fri May 29, 2015 7:59 am

Another planet surface to explore, another 1001 chances of adventuring and great deeds.

Simply, delighted. :cool:
“Don’t ask for loyalty from you airship crew. Die for them instead on the sky battlefield„

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri May 29, 2015 9:19 am

Ambreville wrote:Calidar isn't hollow, but Draconia is.
Thanks for the heads up, Bruce!

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Fri May 29, 2015 6:01 pm

BoneLord wrote:Another planet surface to explore, another 1001 chances of adventuring and great deeds.

Simply, delighted. :cool:
Actually, there's really little to explore on Draconia's "surface." It's either sunbaked or frozen, depending on Soltan's position, and airless. The fun stuff lies inside this world, if you don't mind the dragons there. :twisted:
Calidar on Facebook,

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Fri May 29, 2015 6:02 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Callidar's underworld has not yet been addressed. This is not, however, implying nothing lies there but rock and lava.
Calidar on Facebook,

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri May 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Ambreville wrote:Callidar's underworld has not yet been addressed. This is not, however, implying nothing lies there but rock and lava.
Good to know!

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:20 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Given that you asked about the inside of Calidar, shouldn't you have said: "Thanks for the heads down, Bruce!" ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:25 am

Ambreville wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Callidar's underworld has not yet been addressed. This is not, however, implying nothing lies there but rock and lava.
Aside from Mystara's Hollow World, which has conventional looking cartography, I've always found Underdark cartography a little bit less satisfying than surface cartography. The close up maps of cities in caves tend to be awesome, but maps that show entire continents just do not seem to be able to show meaningful detail (especially given that fantasy underground areas can have multiple layers stacked on each other).

If you ever did decide to develop Calidar's underworld, I would be very interesting to see how Thorf could deal with the challenges of creating maps for it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Ambreville wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Aside from Mystara's Hollow World, which has conventional looking cartography, I've always found Underdark cartography a little bit less satisfying than surface cartography. The close up maps of cities in caves tend to be awesome, but maps that show entire continents just do not seem to be able to show meaningful detail (especially given that fantasy underground areas can have multiple layers stacked on each other).

If you ever did decide to develop Calidar's underworld, I would be very interesting to see how Thorf could deal with the challenges of creating maps for it.
I can't think of how you might draft an entire continent's worth of underground maps. Why would you want to? At that scale, passages and caverns are utterly irrelevant. Locational diagrams might be appropriate.
Calidar on Facebook,

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:28 am

Big Mac wrote:Given that you asked about the inside of Calidar, shouldn't you have said: "Thanks for the heads down, Bruce!" ;)
:lol: :lol: Touché.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:16 am

I think the problem with underground maps is really one of scale. At regular map scales, you have to exaggerate the sizes of pretty much everything to even make things show up. I know that vast caverns have a certain appeal, but when it comes down to it, I don't think that caverns hundreds of miles across are either realistic or necessary. David, perhaps this is why the existing maps have left you a bit cold?

As it happens, I have always been a huge fan of the Shadow Elves in Mystara, but I don't think I've ever thought about the sheer immensity of their underground world. I think that these maps require a certain amount of interpretation. For example, wide open swathes of cavern may not in fact be the massive, airy caverns they may appear to be. Instead, they are likely to be subdivided by numerous pillars and walls of stone, supporting the massive weight of land above them.

How the mountain and hill symbols are interpreted underground has been a topic of discussion in Mystara threads for many years. I'm of the opinion that these represent the grade of the terrain rather than actual huge caverns filled with mountains and hills. So mountains means caverns with steep floors rising and then falling again; the ceiling height of the cavern doesn't necessarily change in this case, and could remain at a constant height above the cavern floor. Hills would be less steep, but still with a significant grade throughout the cavern. Broken terrain would mean a mix of these two, but with far more variation throughout, making progress through the area much harder.

Am I overthinking this? What does everyone else think about massive underground caverns in fantasy worlds?

Return to “Calidar”