How Does It Land and a Quick Thanks to Bruce Heard!

Join the Star Phoenix in Stranger Skies in Bruce Heard's Calidar Setting.
The Book-House: Find Calidar products.

Moderator: Thorf

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

How Does It Land and a Quick Thanks to Bruce Heard!

Post by Argentmantle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 pm

Bruce here’s to you!
The Voyage of the Princess Ark got me hooked forever on D&D and especially Mystara with its museum in the middle. The amazing journey of Haldemar and company is probably one of my most fond memories of Dragon Magazine. The Gazetteers are amongst my favorite RPG supplements ever produced! Honestly, I think D&D has helped keep a certain childlike wonder and appreciation for things. I’m very lucky that I get to be creative in my day job as a graphic designer.
I was in the middle of producing some fan covers for a Mystarajammer campaign (Hollow World materials, some Spelljammer/Mystara inspired art) and layouts for them. And decided to take a look at your blog for some healthy inspirations. Clicked on the link to DriveThruRPG and ended up with a twinkle in my eye and a bit of a laugh. I enjoyed the map carefully explained by Thorf with a bit of world lore mixed in. That bit of childlike snuck out for a moment and phrased a question, “How does the ship on the cover land exactly?” Which inspired me… to the piece below.

From myself, Luke, Mike, Dan, Blaine, Nick; my original gaming group who explored Mystara together, mixed it with other worlds, read and reread the VotPA, were disappointed that the Champions of Mystara didn’t have extra adventures, and had some amazing adventures following in their footsteps or going off on our own! I hope this brings a smile, (if it doesn’t, let me know, I’ll axe it!) just like we all smile when we get the chance to play or even reminisce about old adventure. Thanks again!!!

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: How Does It Land and a Quick Thanks to Bruce Heard!

Post by Thorf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:16 am

Have you seen the skyships in Calidar? The question definitely applies even more to them! ;)

(And the answer of course is provided in the book, with full descriptions of Calidar's docks. Still, an emergency landing of one of these ships would not be pretty... Lots of splintered masts, a tangle of sails, and quite likely the whole thing tipping and possibly even rolling over.)

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Argentmantle -- thanks for your interest in the Princess Ark and Calidar. I'm glad you enjoyed this stuff so much. As Thorf explained, Calidaran skyships require special docking facilities, usually twin towers with removable traversal beams that act as cradles for the vessels, and allow enough space for the lower masts. Each "civilization" has its own way of dealing with this design. The main story in CAL1 actually describes this in detail, and how ships are tethered. :cool:
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook,
Mystara on Facebook, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:26 am

I know with Spelljammer the accessories for the worlds of each crystal sphere is typically named after the primary world but I think Calidar might make a good exception to this rule; I think Soltanspace is far more applicable. It also rolls off the tongue quite nicely.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Thorf wrote:Have you seen the skyships in Calidar? The question definitely applies even more to them! ;)

(And the answer of course is provided in the book, with full descriptions of Calidar's docks. Still, an emergency landing of one of these ships would not be pretty... Lots of splintered masts, a tangle of sails, and quite likely the whole thing tipping and possibly even rolling over.)
It's probably as elegant as when some albatross tries to land :mrgreen:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Justinov wrote:It's probably as elegant as when some albatross tries to land :mrgreen:
LMAO....that visual... :lol:
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Justinov wrote:It's probably as elegant as when some albatross tries to land :mrgreen:
LMAO....that visual... :lol:
Yeah :mrgreen: so when choosing which skyship to travel with, beware any with the name "Albatross" in it as it could be named after it's landings and take offs!
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Ambreville
World Soul

Post by Ambreville » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Theoretically, they don't need to land, unless there's a problem with the lift enchantment. Since the enchantment is permanent, a skyship only needs to dock at skyports designed to accommodate it. Skyports are described in CAL1. Otherwise, skyships rely on individual launches to ferry visitors and away parties back and forth. There's also the possibility of folding masts out of the way or using them in lieu of landing gear. Helps keep the rats out, except for cloud rats, space rats, ethereal rats, and other netherworld rodents of course. ;)
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook,
Mystara on Facebook, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:43 am

Netherworld rat poison must be difficult to find in the shops...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:56 pm

So, the sails have nothing to do with maneuverability... just long poles to push the rats away!!!

Return to “Calidar”