[Star Wars] D20 vs. D20 Revised vs. Star Wars Saga?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Star Wars] D20 vs. D20 Revised vs. Star Wars Saga?

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:08 pm

What are the main differences between the three D20 variants of the Star Wars RPG? I remember Star Wars SAGA being praised as a preview of 4E, but then 4E ended up being quite different. As to d20 vs Revised, I guess it was mostly a 3.0 vs 3.5 update as well as the Droid PC issue that was the reason for the revision?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Star Wars] D20 vs. D20 Revised vs. Star Wars Saga?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Well SAGA was a complete revamp of the rules as well as the inclusion of the complete timeline of events between the two trilogies.

D20 Revised did revamp the Force system as well as include material from Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and the original trilogy. And yes Droids did get a bit of a retooling.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks TAD! That covers somme of the differences. So which one should I choose?

Also, in this thread, we were discussing different Eras to set a Star Wars Campaign. Am I right that all of the D20 Editions only detail the Prequel Era?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:20 pm

No. All D20 editions cover the Rebellion Era as well. IIRC, there's something about the New Jedi Order as well. Only Saga has material about the Legacy and KotOR eras, though. And the Force Unleashed era, which is definitely my favourite.

Saga is a rather different rules set, as mentioned by TAD. It does have some aspects that resemble 4e (e.g., minions) and is less tied to the D&D 3e version of the d20 rules -- in particular, the classes are all highly configurable through talent trees. Overall, Saga is the only version of d20 (and 4e) I appreciate, although things start getting bad as the characters approach level 20 (too much complexity, and characters are too powerful if well constructed, while very weak under suboptimal choices). It is quite enjoyable between levels 1 and 12, which is enough for most campaigns. For instance, Dawn of Defiance, the only full-length campaign available for Saga, aims at reaching level 20, but that is really stretched, and my group was able to finish it while topping at level 18 (and starting at level 3), IIRC. All in all that campaign would have probably been better off starting at level 3 (as I did, with minor revisions to the first adventure) and ending around level 14-15 (but that would have required a major revision of the last arc at least).

The two d20 editions are very similar, AFAIK. The first is basically a D&D 3e reskin.

GP
Last edited by agathokles on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Havard wrote:What are the main differences between the three D20 variants of the Star Wars RPG? I remember Star Wars SAGA being praised as a preview of 4E, but then 4E ended up being quite different. As to d20 vs Revised, I guess it was mostly a 3.0 vs 3.5 update as well as the Droid PC issue that was the reason for the revision?

-Havard
I prefer SAGA for the simple reason that multi-classing is so opened that you can create just about any kind of npc. That's very important in a Sci-Fi setting. The skills are condensed similar to 4E but that's about it. There are no powers (at-will,encounter,daily). You have access to talents trees similar to d20 Modern and of course feats, lots of feats...

I know this guy (Cyber-Dave) who wrote a complete sci--fi setting using SAGA: http://community.wizards.com/thelandofn ... a_Edition)

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Link fixed. URL tags put around link, to get the closing bracket to get the forum software to treat it as part of the URL.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Havard wrote:Thanks TAD! That covers somme of the differences. So which one should I choose?

Also, in this thread, we were discussing different Eras to set a Star Wars Campaign. Am I right that all of the D20 Editions only detail the Prequel Era?
Personally I have a preference for D20 Revised, since it a system I already know very well.

The original D20 game covers Original Trilogy + Phantom Menace.
D20 Revised covers Original Trilogy + Phantom Menace + Attack of the Clones.
Saga covers all 6 movies.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:44 pm

shesheyan wrote:I know this guy (Cyber-Dave) who wrote a complete sci--fi setting using SAGA: http://community.wizards.com/thelandofn ... a_Edition)
Your link is borked, here is the right one: link

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Link inside quote from Shesheyan's fixed. URL tags put around link, to get the closing bracket to get the forum software to treat it as part of the URL.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Saga covers all 6 movies.
SAGA also covers Knights of the Old Republic if you want something entirely different from the movies.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:20 pm

shesheyan wrote:
SAGA also covers Knights of the Old Republic if you want something entirely different from the movies.
I own the SAGA core book. The eras of play included are; The Rise of the Empire Era, The Rebellion Era and The New Jedi Order Era. Knights of the Old Republic is a separate book that is super expensive to obtain second-hand.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
shesheyan wrote:
I own the SAGA core book. The eras of play included are; The Rise of the Empire Era, The Rebellion Era and The New Jedi Order Era. Knights of the Old Republic is a separate book that is super expensive to obtain second-hand.
True. Yes sorry about that. I was talking about the ruleset not just the core book. I bought the KOTR book when it came out. Didn't know i could make a fortune with it ! :D :D :D

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 am

D20 has some equivalent material in the Dark Side sourcebook, but no coherent coverage of any Old Republic eras, AFAIR.

Of course, between "core book only" and "full set" there's a huge gap for all editions. The information provided in core books about the various "supported" eras is minimal. E.g., in Saga you get the following era specific materials: 10 pages of NPCs, 9 pages of vehicles and 7 pages of droids, plus a brief (less than 1 page) discussion of the three main eras. This amounts to about 10 pages per era. If you consider that Rebellion Era, e.g., is supported by a 150+ pages campaign sourcebook, looking at what is included in the core books as an indication of era support in one of the editions doesn't seem fair.
Thus, actually Saga supports best the Force Unleashed era (era sourcebook + adventures), followed by Rebellion, Clone Wars, Old Republic and Legacy. Rise of the Empire is supported somewhat indirectly, but more or less on par with the others. New Jedi Order and New Republic have only limited support (practically non-existent for NR, just a few vehicles and NPCs for NJO).
D20, IIRC, has sourcebooks for Rebellion and New Jedi Order, and a good support in terms of adventures for the Phantom Menace time.

The problem with KotOR is that WotC underestimated the popularity of the KotOR era, and the book sold out incredibly fast, compared to all other books in the series. Some other era sourcebooks are easier to come by (e.g., The Force Unleashed). Thus, KotOR is by far the most expensive item.

Finally, it is worth noting that many D20 books are actually fairly generic and can be easily reused with Saga (e.g., the world books and the Galactic Campaign Guide). The reverse is much less true -- most Saga books are fairly crunchy.

GP

Return to “Star Wars”