What movies are canon in your campaign?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

What movies are canon in your campaign?

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Did the Prequels happen in your campaign? What about the Ewok Films? The Christmas Special?

Do you use the Expanded Universe, or the new Disney Canon as the basis of your games?

BTW, I would rather we don't get into a debate on which movies are awesome and which ones suck etc. That is a different discussion. What I am interested in is what parts of the official material you tend to use as the basis for your campaigns. Let us keep it friendly, as is the Piazza way, shall we? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: What movies are canon in your campaign?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:23 pm

I haven't GM'd Star Wars yet, but it would be my preference to use everything established for the movies and tv shows to be cannon.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:53 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:I haven't GM'd Star Wars yet, but it would be my preference to use everything established for the movies and tv shows to be cannon.
Would that include the older semi-official movies like the Ewok films, the Droids cartoon etc? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:58 pm

Havard wrote:Would that include the older semi-official movies like the Ewok films, the Droids cartoon etc? :)
Yes, indeed. Maybe with the exception of the Christmas special.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:24 pm

Every time I played Star Wars it was "Millennium Falcon" like fleeing from the Stormtroopers style.
So I guess it must be "Star Wars" (Episode 4: A New Hope), that was canon.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:15 am

We have played Pre-Yavin, Pre-Endor, and Post Endor... We stopped playing 'canon' D6 Star Wars after the Prequels came out. The sourcebooks were too important to just toss all aside with.

Michael Silverbane
Hobgoblin

Post by Michael Silverbane » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:33 am

In the most recent campaign that I ran, only the first three episodes (4th 5th, and 6th movies) were canon. The timeline diverged during Episode III, resulting in Mace Windu and Anakin Skywalker killing Chancellor Palpatine. The galactic civil war continued on from there, with the jedi order taking a more active role in leading the republic and some of the more liberty minded senators joining up with the separatists.

In a campaign previous to that, the timeline diverged during Episode IV, resulting in R2-D2 and C-3P0 being captured attempting to exsapce the Tantiv IV over Tatooine. The rebellion continued to get hammered by the Imperial forces, unable to stand up to the might of the Death Star.

In a campaign previous to that, the players interacted with canon not at all, dealing with various fringe elements and crime lords on the outer rim. But ostensibly, it took place during the time between episodes IV and V.
It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.

Nate Christen
Troll

Post by Nate Christen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:23 pm

I've always stuck closely to the movies for canon, and then cherry-picked what else counted. Back in high school and college (Rebellion-era d6 campaigns) there wasn't a whole lot, since most of the novels were New Republic. After college I ran some d20 campaigns during the prequel era, and would take from some of the novels and comics. More recently, with an EotE campaign, it was Rebellion era again, for which I took material from many of the FFG, WotC and WEG sourcebooks.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:16 pm

I tend to play in Knights of the Old Republic (the Mandalorian Wars and the Sith invasion of Darth Revan and Darth Malak) or in the Force Unleashed era (between Order 66 and the Battle of Yavin IV). Thus, the prequel trilogy is the one I tend to stick with.
Nevertheless, we tend to assume that the movies timeline will happen as in canon.
My players are not familiar with the Expanded Universe, but I tend to use characters and events from it quite frequently.

GP

Man in the Funny Hat
Hobgoblin

Post by Man in the Funny Hat » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Havard wrote:Did the Prequels happen in your campaign? What about the Ewok Films? The Christmas Special?

Do you use the Expanded Universe, or the new Disney Canon as the basis of your games?
Restricting yourself to canon, regardless of point on the timeline or encompassing EU or not, only serves to restrict the choices of PC's and the DM to create and perpetuate what works for them in that campaign. Picking a STARTING POINT is one thing, but adherence to canon past that simply for the sake of adherence to canon isn't doing anyone any favors. PC's need to be free to UTTERLY derail events from what canon would dictate and the DM needs to take a game world in the direction that works given the events IN THAT GAME, not according to a canon script. Once the game is begun the most that canon should do for anyone is inspire, not control the direction and substance of play.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:31 am

My son has gotten into Star Wars (particularly the legos). I've tried to convince him to make up his own stories before but usually he preferred to stick to storylines seen in books or tv. With Star Wars he has finally decided to diverge a bit. In his universe, (Granted he isn't playing an rpg in this universe.) Commander Gree and some clones join the rebellion. Darth Vader gets off the Death Star with Luke. He looks like he did before his cybernetics. (Did he get healed somehow? Perhaps the Emperor had the technology to heal him the whole time but purposely didn't heal him to ensure his loyalty.) He has introduced other variations as well. Leia going with R2 and C-3PO in the escape pod to Tatoine. R2 does more because he really likes him.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:29 pm

Man in the Funny Hat wrote:Restricting yourself to canon, regardless of point on the timeline or encompassing EU or not, only serves to restrict the choices of PC's and the DM to create and perpetuate what works for them in that campaign. Picking a STARTING POINT is one thing, but adherence to canon past that simply for the sake of adherence to canon isn't doing anyone any favors. PC's need to be free to UTTERLY derail events from what canon would dictate and the DM needs to take a game world in the direction that works given the events IN THAT GAME, not according to a canon script. Once the game is begun the most that canon should do for anyone is inspire, not control the direction and substance of play.
That's a great point.

If you look at the original trilogy, and the prequels, there are a number of situations where the protagonists are up against it. If you created the same vibe, the PCs would do some things that the movie characters failed to do or not manage to do some things that the movie characters did manage to do.

For example, you look at how Qui-Gon Jinn escaped Darth Maul, in their first encounter, that shows you a way that a player, who was using Ben Kenobi as a character, might try to evade Darth Vader on the Death Star and escape in the Millennium Falcon. Ben Kenobi would then be able to work with the Rebels and use the force to give them additional advantages.

And if the PCs fought the Battle of Yarvin and failed to destroy the Death Star, that would allow the Death Star to destroy Yarvin and the Rebel forces who were featured in the start of The Empire Strikes Back. The other Rebel forces - the ones who met them at the end of The Empire Strikes Back - would still exist, but the plot would shift in a radical way.

However, I'm not sure that Havard was proposing actually following the plot from the films. I think he was talking about including the ingredients from the films, in the game. So if go with a universe based on the canon of the original trilogy, and the first Death Star does not get destroyed, that should not change the fact that Ewoks live on the moon of Endor. It may or may not change the need to construct a second Death Star, but I think that the Empire could still have a base on the moon, even if they didn't use it as the location to build a Death Star at.

I think that half the fun of using the events from the movies as canon, would be giving the PCs a past that the players have actually seen and then watching together, to see what different things can happen. Just imagine how radical it would be if Darth Vader got killed during the events of A New Hope (either getting cut down by Ben Kenobi or getting his ship blown up by Han Solo during the Battle of Yarvin) and The Emperor needed to wheel out another apprentice. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:24 am

I've never been a fan of rail-roading. I think keeping the future open to development based on the actions of the characters is always important.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Michael Silverbane
Hobgoblin

Post by Michael Silverbane » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:29 am

Big Mac wrote:I think that half the fun of using the events from the movies as canon, would be giving the PCs a past that the players have actually seen and then watching together, to see what different things can happen. Just imagine how radical it would be if Darth Vader got killed during the events of A New Hope (either getting cut down by Ben Kenobi or getting his ship blown up by Han Solo during the Battle of Yavin) and The Emperor needed to wheel out another apprentice. :cool:
That is part of the reason that I've used the approach that I mentioned in my post above (picking a point in the canon, and splitting it off, before introducing the player characters). To my mind, that gives me the best of both worlds. The players get to have a good idea of what has gone on before (it is just like the movies, up to X), but it is also clear that the characters will not be trapped into specific roles or actions by an adherence to canon. Things have already gone off the rails, so to speak, so the players can feel free to do whatever suits them.

In another campaign that I ran, set during the events of the Clone Wars, the player characters kept having to rescue Obiwan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker from various Separatist forces, Bounty Hunters, or Crime Lords. It was tons of fun, and gave the players a chance to see hints of Anakin's slow descent into the Dark Side and then try to fix it.
It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:01 am

Star Wars (1977) and The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) only.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Nate Christen
Troll

Post by Nate Christen » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:38 pm

Man in the Funny Hat wrote:Restricting yourself to canon, regardless of point on the timeline or encompassing EU or not, only serves to restrict the choices of PC's and the DM to create and perpetuate what works for them in that campaign. Picking a STARTING POINT is one thing, but adherence to canon past that simply for the sake of adherence to canon isn't doing anyone any favors. PC's need to be free to UTTERLY derail events from what canon would dictate and the DM needs to take a game world in the direction that works given the events IN THAT GAME, not according to a canon script.
I think this makes sense logically, but for me, if a campaign undoes major events from the movies, then it no longer feels like Star Wars. My preference is to let the heroes accomplish important objectives, interwoven with the events of the films.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

gallowglacht
Hobgoblin

Post by gallowglacht » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:03 pm

I dodged the whole issue. I set my game in the Old Republic. And not in the time frame of the computer games either.

There were still Jedi and Sith, lightsabres, droids giant starships and so on. Just a completely different storyline to the movies, books, games and so on.

So they can all be cannon, just they haven't happened yet...

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:40 pm

NONE! Last campaign we did was Knights of the Old Republic! A very liberating experience!

Saunatonttu
Ogre

Post by Saunatonttu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:37 am

I don't believe in any "Expanded Universe" - there's Star Wars and that's that.

But, back to the question, I will accept as source material (in order of importance): Marvel Comics Run of Star Wars, the Original Trilogy, Rebels, Ewan McGregor, the X-Wing/Tie Fighter/Dark Forces series of computer games, some random bits and pieces from books and other Dark Horse comics. "Canon" will not be followed if it gets in the way of the game in any way, though.

Disney's Star Wars will be designated as acceptable as soon as they are released.
Surfing's the Source, man...

Jayce
Hobgoblin

Post by Jayce » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:25 am

In my D20 games I use the original trilogy, the prequels and the Thrawn trilogy of books, mainly because it's the only stuff I'm really familiar with. I'm quite partial to the Thrawn stuff - they're really enjoyable books, light reading ( as I believe Star Wars should be) and I think they capture the spirit and feel of Star Wars quite well.

My Edge of the Empire games have been so focused on dealing with the here and now situation of the Hutts and stuff that they've actually featured very little movie/book canon at all, but I see no reason to discard the stuff I used previously should it feel appropriate to the story.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:23 am

Man in the Funny Hat wrote:Restricting yourself to canon, regardless of point on the timeline or encompassing EU or not, only serves to restrict the choices of PC's and the DM to create and perpetuate what works for them in that campaign. Picking a STARTING POINT is one thing, but adherence to canon past that simply for the sake of adherence to canon isn't doing anyone any favors. PC's need to be free to UTTERLY derail events from what canon would dictate and the DM needs to take a game world in the direction that works given the events IN THAT GAME, not according to a canon script. Once the game is begun the most that canon should do for anyone is inspire, not control the direction and substance of play.
Restricting a campaign does have some advantages, since otherwise you may end up with a player wanting to play a spellthief or Captain Jack Harkness (or maybe even Sparrow) in your Star Wars campaign. Equally, PCs can expect not to encounter Merlin, the cybermen, or romulans.

The problem is that too many people tend to confuse "magic doesn't exist, and psionics is restricted to a few special orders" with "I'm a-gonna railroad you every way I like it!".

GMs absolutely should be able to say "this is what exists in the game world". That should form a springboard for what PCs can expect to encounter, and equally it should form a springboard for what the NPCs can expect to encounter (in the form of the PCs). Once the campaign has begun, keeping the story on track or changing its direction should ideally be a process of negotiation between players and GM. Everyone needs to be invested in the story that is being told. GMs have a responsibility to make their prepared story hooks interesting, and players should recognise that a prepared story is usually going to have more depth than anything that happens if they derail that prepared material. RPGs have a social contract of sorts. On the GM's part, they should recognise that the players are free agents, and want to make meaningful decisions for their characters.

However, I wouldn't want a simple re-telling of the story but with my character(tm). That is boring, because you know what will happen and what would work (it's also why the Dragonlance adventures fell a bit flat for me). As some of the old promotional material for SWSE said, "what's that guy's story?" Let me play a PC in the party that got the death star plans to R2D2 before episode IV, for example. Let me be involved in rescue missions to save people from Alderaan before it gets blown up. Or save some ewoks from Endor before the death star crash lands. Lots of other stuff happened.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Let me play a PC in the party that got the death star plans to R2D2 before episode IV, for example.
Sounds like you might like the plot of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. "This is a rebellion, isn't it?" :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:Let me play a PC in the party that got the death star plans to R2D2 before episode IV, for example.
Sounds like you might like the plot of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. "This is a rebellion, isn't it?" :)
They clearly stole my idea. I should have coprighted it.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed May 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Me personally, I'd just keep most of 4-6. Here's where I'd divert from canon.

The Clone Wars was really just the final years of a Galactic Civil War that raged for decades, if not centuries. The loss of life was so great that clones (and droids) came to replace armies depleted by constant warfare. The Wars' conclusion saw the rise of the Empire, which was seen at the time as being preferable to the ceaseless bloodshed that claimed the lives of hundreds of billions. For the most part, the galactic population has been severely depleted.

The Rule of Two is nonsense. There's LOTS of sith running around. But then, there's still lots of Jedi running around, too. Currently the Jedi are in hiding, but when the Emperor died, all sides emerged to renew the war. Lots more fighting, although the Rebels would be able to carve out an island of relative stability while the sith warlords fight it out.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Wed May 11, 2016 7:54 pm

My copy of The Force Awakens just arrived, so after tonight my opinion might change. I do like canon though, and am fine that all the bloat of the Expanded Universe is relegated to Legends. Last time I ran straight Star Wars was about 10 years ago using d20 RCR, and it was set pretty much right at Order 66 with the Padawan PCs fleeing for their lives. Good times.

Return to “Star Wars”