The Exile

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

The Exile

Post by night_druid » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:50 pm

David thought I should post this here. Been a long day, so I wasn't able to get to until now.

Dream I had last night - Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, the Empire had swept away the Jedi order and hunt the last Jedi down. Save for one: The Exile. Banished long ago by the Council for unspecified crimes, the Exile wanders the wastelands of the galaxy, waiting for the Sith Empire to fall into infighting and civil war. See, there has always been an Exile, for The Exile is a ruse. Every generation, the Council chooses one of their own, the most trusted and best capable individual, to become The Exile. The Exile is framed for some unspeakable crime and banished into the hinterlands of the Galaxy. For if anything were to happen to the Council and the Jedi, it is The Exile's duty to rebuild the Order in secret, and one day, the Exile's disciples will return to restore Order and Peace to the galaxy. In secret, he or she carries the tools necessary to recreate the Order, from scratch, if need be.

I suppose that, in my dream-mind, The Exile is banished to the galactic hinterlands as an insurance policy. If the Jedi Temple is overrun, The Exile would have largely been erased from the holicron records; just some vague references to a fallen jedi banished for some crime, nothing for the Sith to really worry about. This would give The Exile freedom to move about, to seek out budding jedi to train to create a new Jedi Order. The Exile would probably operate independently of any surviving Jedi; if they get caught, they could lead to The Exile and the new Jedi Order.

Effectively, in the movies this would be similar to Obi Wan, save that instead of watching over one young charge and not really doing much until prodded into it, The Exile would be much more active in gathering allies and training young Jedi. Probably a good mentor/quest-giver NPC for a Star Wars game, particularly one that doesn't follow the movies too closely.

One weird dream I had. But I figured I'd share.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: The Exile

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:40 pm

This quite an awesome prospect for a Star Wars game, great for an alternate universe if that is what one wanted to do.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 pm

In terms of equipment: I imagine The Exile would possess a lightsaber, at least one or more holicrons, and a collection of kyber crystals (so his disciples can create lightsabers). Probably possess a ship of some sort; probably a tramp freighter. They would likely have a number of underworld contacts, and the means to detect young force-users in the greater population of the galaxy.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:57 pm

The titling of the exile as, well, The Exile makes me want to brand this alternate universe as Fallout: Coruscant. :P

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:01 am

The Dark wrote:The titling of the exile as, well, The Exile makes me want to brand this alternate universe as Fallout: Coruscant. :P
Don't blame me, I was asleep at the time! :lol:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:11 am

The Dark wrote:The titling of the exile as, well, The Exile makes me want to brand this alternate universe as Fallout: Coruscant. :P
Jedi #111. :P
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:23 pm

night_druid wrote:
Don't blame me, I was asleep at the time! :lol:
It's pretty cool that you design RPG material, in your sleep. :cool:

I guess that, in your Exile campaign, PCs could start off as jedi wannabies, but there would be no Jedi Academy to train them. They would all work for your Exile NPC. I wonder if that would give you a similar sort of setup to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - not actual turtle Jedi - just a bunch of four or five apprentices that hang out together.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:42 pm

I agree, this could be a great setup for a campaign.

Of course, if Vader or the Emperor learned of this... :twisted:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Havard wrote:I agree, this could be a great setup for a campaign.

Of course, if Vader or the Emperor learned of this... :twisted:

-Havard
The Emperor - wait, what? My gawd...that's freak'n BRILLIANT! :lol:

Oh wait, been watching too much Robot Chicken...;)

XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Post by XstarkillerX » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:38 pm

night_druid wrote:[...]The Exile is a ruse. Every generation, the Council chooses one of their own, the most trusted and best capable individual, to become The Exile. The Exile is framed for some unspeakable crime and banished into the hinterlands of the Galaxy. [...]
With some work (and a little retcon) this idea could work with Meetra Surik's history, the original Jedi Exile from the videogame Knights of the Old Republic II.
Life won't wait for us, and love won't heal itself. Let's find our way. Descendents, "Without Love"

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:22 am

XstarkillerX wrote:
night_druid wrote:[...]The Exile is a ruse. Every generation, the Council chooses one of their own, the most trusted and best capable individual, to become The Exile. The Exile is framed for some unspeakable crime and banished into the hinterlands of the Galaxy. [...]
With some work (and a little retcon) this idea could work with Meetra Surik's history, the original Jedi Exile from the videogame Knights of the Old Republic II.
I showed this topic to some Star Wars fans on Facebook and someone, called John, also noticed the similarities with the Meetra Surik/Knights of the Old Republic II story:
John at The Cantina Australia group on Faceborg wrote:I read it and whilst it has some differences there is also similarities to Meetra Surik, The Jedi Exile from KOTOR 2. The Jedi council was scattered and in hiding (presumed dead by the galaxy at large) all whilst the Sith Triumvirate were ravaging the galaxy and hunting down all remaining Jedi. Of course this was not the true Sith Empire but powerful Sith Lords none the less and they came close to succeeding in wiping out the Jedi Order, if not for the actions taken by The Jedi Exile, Meetra Surik they may have succeeded. I think it's a cool idea but to EU fans the similarites to KOTOR 2 might create some heated debate.

I'm certainly not against his ideas. I know Star Wars fans often jump down peoples throats and can be super nasty when it comes to fan creations, whether they be films, stories, games etc. It doesnt appear that anyone has acted like that but I think it's something he will need to be wary of. I think as far as an RPG though it's filled with many possibilties. Will the player(s) reform the Jedi? Will the player(s) become a Grey Jedi? Will the player(s) follow the Dark Side? The possibilities for an RPG are endless and can be a lot of fun for players much like KOTOR I & II and TOR are. Any Star Wars fan creating content for others, regardless of its quality is doing so out of passion and that imo is a great thing.
Over in the Warcraft forum (at The Piazza) we often raid ideas for the tabletop game from the MMO, and it could be a good idea to look at the Synopsys of Knights of the Old Republc II to see if any similar events could be put into a Star Wars: The Exile tabletop adventure path.

I think the main advantage of this tabletop concept vs the original Knights of the Old Republic II story, is that a GM can take the action to any planets in the Star Wars Extended Universe (and not be restricted to the ones in the KotOR II game. So if this story was done as an alternative universe to the events in A New Hope, Meetra Surik would give the PCs a previous Exile, to find out about. (The Sith might also find out about the Jedi policy of creating an Exile, and assume that they needed to locate and destroy a hidden Jedi and their apprentices. )

That game also has alternative stories, in case players want to get Meetra Surik to follow the dark side. It might be useful to look at that too. I didn't see anything about the "Grey Jedi" path that John suggested was an option, but there is a Grey Jedi article on Wookiepedia that might be helpful.

"What if I were to tell you that Count Dooku, was another attempt by the Jedi Council to create an Exile." ;)

Dooku could perhaps be rebooted to be a former Exile, who went the wrong way. (I always thought it was a big shame that they didn't spin out the story about a Sith lord controlling the Senate, for longer.)

The Lost Twenty, could also be interesting, as some, or all, of these could be former Jedi chosen to be The Exile. It should be fairly easy to slot Meetra Surik into The Lost Twenty, and also invent a few more NPC Exiles. Then you could have some sort of Exile-related items or locations scattered around the Star Wars universe, and the PCs could go looking around to see what they can use to help them restore the Jedi.

It might also be possible to raid (and reboot) elements from the New Jedi Order. Presumably: Star Wars: The Exile would replace the New Jedi Order, in the timeline, but a lot of those elements should be there to be rebooted.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks for the ideas, night_druid! After reading this and replaying KotoR II, I decided to combine the two for the campaign I'm running right now. I had Meetra Surik establish the Exile Protocol, which designates one Jedi as the Exile, like your dream, who is treated as a failsafe in the event of the Order's collapse. In my campaign, my Jedi player (still a padawan) barely escaped Order 66 and is currently exploring the ruins of the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine. I'm going to have her activate a hologram of Surik that informs her of the Exile Protocol and designates her as the new Exile, as there is no one else to assume the role. Should be interesting to see where the player takes it!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:58 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:Thanks for the ideas, night_druid! After reading this and replaying KotoR II, I decided to combine the two for the campaign I'm running right now. I had Meetra Surik establish the Exile Protocol, which designates one Jedi as the Exile, like your dream, who is treated as a failsafe in the event of the Order's collapse. In my campaign, my Jedi player (still a padawan) barely escaped Order 66 and is currently exploring the ruins of the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine. I'm going to have her activate a hologram of Surik that informs her of the Exile Protocol and designates her as the new Exile, as there is no one else to assume the role. Should be interesting to see where the player takes it!
Interesting. You'll have to let us know how it turns out :)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:04 pm

Seems a good idea, indeed.
GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:44 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:I'm going to have her activate a hologram of Surik that informs her of the Exile Protocol and designates her as the new Exile, as there is no one else to assume the role. Should be interesting to see where the player takes it!
I like the hologram idea.

It fits in totally with the message that Princess Leia sent to Obi-Wan Kenobi, and is also a great plot device because the PCs can't ask Meetra to come along with them or ask for more information than they are given. :)

This kind of reminds me of Total Recall, for some reason. At least it reminds me of how Arnie's character was given some cool tools that would help him get to Mars and meet the right people.

I wonder if you could have Meetra Surik leave some stuff for the PCs, along perhaps, with an additional message.

Perhaps you could leave some crystals or other lightsaber components, so that the Exile PC can build a new lightsaber, if they have lost their own.

Or perhaps you could have a bunker with supplies, that was supposed to last 100 years, but that has actually been there a lot longer, and is not in perfect condition. For example, powdered food might be fine, but the water supplies have leaked and evaporated. The batteries in the guns and space ships are all flat and the droids have all run out of power.

If you could do something like that, you could perhaps hand the PCs a "broken base" that will be awesome, if only they can spend a ton of time and/or money fixing all the problems.

EDIT: Actually a "broken base" could be a good place to stick a monster lair that the PCs need to clear out. Imagine something like the base on Hoth, if it was left unmanned, except by maintenance droids, and a bunch of wampa creatures broke in, smashed up most of the maintenance droids and broke into the food stores. :twisted:

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:14 pm

I like the hologram idea.

It fits in totally with the message that Princess Leia sent to Obi-Wan Kenobi, and is also a great plot device because the PCs can't ask Meetra to come along with them or ask for more information than they are given. :)
I even have the hologram end with "you're our only hope" :P It is, however, a bit more than just a hologram. I decided that Meetra Surik left HK-47 with the Jedi Order when she left for the Unknown Regions, reprogramming him to serve the Jedi Exile (and the Order in the absence of an Exile). His droid brain was put in a new chassis, a prototype like PROXY replete with an advanced holographic projector allowing him to look like many people. He was tasked with training the Exile and other advanced students. There was some heavy reprogramming necessary to keep him from killing anyone and, in Meetra's absence, the Order reprogrammed him even further, though they were only able to supress some of his personality and couldn't erase his core functions. With his new body, he studied different Jedi combat techniques and maintained an internal library of hundreds of Jedi and soldiers that he could call up on demand. SO... when the player encounters him, they actually encounter "Darth Maul" first (you know, to give them an "OH CRAP" moment), before he reveals himself. When he plays the hologram for them, he changes his appearance to look like Meetra Surik personally delivering the message. If the player accepts the mantle of Exile, HK-47 will accompany the party and can provide extra information for them. The party will be able to get him back to his old self, but it will take many levels (they're only level 3 now). Until then, he is allowed to train the Exile and her companions, but cannot participate in actual combat.
I wonder if you could have Meetra Surik leave some stuff for the PCs, along perhaps, with an additional message.
Exactly what I'm doing :)
Actually a "broken base" could be a good place to stick a monster lair that the PCs need to clear out. Imagine something like the base on Hoth, if it was left unmanned, except by maintenance droids, and a bunch of wampa creatures broke in, smashed up most of the maintenance droids and broke into the food stores. :twisted:
You and I think alike, Big Mac! The ruins of the enclave are currently infested with Laigrek, though I'm making them a bit more interesting and am sort of running the party through an Aliens scenario (Queen Laigrek and all). I'm swiping the Kaevee subplot from the cut content of KotoR 2 and adapting it. They've already got an abandoned smuggler's safe house they use, but I'm setting the enclave on Dantooine up as a secondary base for them. The Empire has control of the main level, but they don't know the sublevels even exist, so staying there would be a risk, but we'll see what the players do.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:33 pm

<thumbsup>Awesome. Glad you took my silly dream and turned it into the basis for a campaign :D I look forward to hearing about how it goes :)

Return to “Star Wars”