X-Wing Pilot Campaign

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

X-Wing Pilot Campaign

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:51 am

Anyone run a campaign focusing on X-Wing pilots? Are there any supplements adressing this sort of campaign?

I think it would be cool to give each PC his own X-Wing. Maybe throw in a Y-Wing just to mix it up a bit.

Anyone done something like this?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: X-Wing Pilot Campaign

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:24 pm

Unfortunately, the only attempt was the Rogue Squadron source book from WEG, which was never published

GP

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:54 pm

A great "resource" would be the X-Wing Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron novels. You get a "special ops" style play going with the characters primarily flying their X-Wings but they are also expected to do other things. Each character then has a secondary specialization outside of flying their X-Wings. Espionage. Demolitions. Intelligence. Force-using. Mechanics/Engineering.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Bouv wrote:A great "resource" would be the X-Wing Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron novels. You get a "special ops" style play going with the characters primarily flying their X-Wings but they are also expected to do other things. Each character then has a secondary specialization outside of flying their X-Wings. Espionage. Demolitions. Intelligence. Force-using. Mechanics/Engineering.
I think you just described exactly how I would want the PCs set up.

And probably how I would want the adventures structured too. Not always focusing on X-Wing Dog fights, but other types of missions too, involving the specializations of the characters.

Now I just need to come up with a cool name like Rogue Squadron or Wraith Squadron... :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:52 pm

There are tons of X-Wing squadrons in the Extended Universe:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category ... _squadrons

I'd just pick one up and modify the details according to campaign needs -- unless your players have an extensive knowledge of the EU, they won't notice ;-)
And in any case, homonymous squadrons would not be too uncommon, given the large number of units (especially in the later New Republic era).

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:25 pm

One aspect that an X-Wing squadron campaign should take into account is to avoid repeating the same scenarios every time -- while X-Wing combat missions, sabotage/espionage missions and the like are interesting, running them for an entire campaign would cause the game to grow stale quite soon.

Like any good Star Wars campaign, I think the X-Wing campaign should be designed in three arcs:
  1. Recruitment and Training: this early stage of the campaign needs to avoid sending the PCs into major missions (no Death Star runs at this time). It could focus on PCs being recruited into the Rebellion (or the New Republic, or other sponsor organization). PCs may get training missions (against droid opponents, e.g.), or minor missions such as getting repair parts for their starfighters (which at this point might not be X-Wing, but rather older crafts) or performing favours for parties that their organization is interested in contacting. This time should allow some NPCs to be established (e.g., a mentor, a rival, a useful but seedy contact or fence, etc). It might include a main plot, pitting the PCs against a rival or a spy, whom they should defeat or expose at the end of the arc.
  2. Missions. The central arc should feature a mix of flight and land missions, stringed together in a military campaign (e.g. to eradicate enemy presence in a given sector, or to defend a sector against enemy attacks), but with enough variety to avoid boredom (i.e., if the primary goal is to remove Imperial Remnant presence from a sector, some missions may be dedicated to assisting a Jedi in recovering artifacts from enemy-controlled areas before the fighting gets there, or fixing problems caused by a third party like pirates or smugglers). This should end with a major success or defeat (e.g., the Imperial forces are chased out of the sector, or the Rebel base is discovered and assaulted).
  3. The final segment of the campaign should grow into something more epic, with PCs involved in some key aspect of the war. If set in the Rebellion era, then the PCs might take the place of Keyan Farlander in recovering the Death Star plans, or the Second Death Star plans (leaving a trail of dead Bothan spies...), otherwise it should be something equally dangerous (e.g., uncovering and foiling a plan to resurrect Palpatine, or destroying an Executor class Super-Star Destroyer). Here it is probably easier to adapt the plot of one of the EU novels or computer games. Alternatively, the PCs might now be all squadron commanders, and participate to larger-scale battles.
Note that a similar campaign may be staged in the Rebellion, New Republic/Jedi Order, Sequel Trilogy, or Legacy eras without too many changes. For Clone Wars and earlier eras, the difficulty is that starfighters of those ages lacked hyperspace capability, so the missions are more limited and the PCs need to rely on larger ships for close support, taking away from the uniqueness of the X-Wing squadron idea. One option is a small Jedi unit, as Jedi starfighters in Clone Wars have hyperspace capabilities through hyperspace rings. This setup has, as usual, the problem that Jedi are not really supposed to act on their own until level 7, so the training phase should probably be emphasized.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 16, 2016 12:25 pm

In the real-world, in World War II, they actually had women pilots delivering Spitfighter and Hurricane planes from the factories to the airfields where the fighter pilots took off to fight German pilots in dog fights. (Bizarrely, I think they didn't put bullets in the guns, when the women were delivering them, as they were not supposed to be fighting in the planes.)

I wonder if you could use this sort of thing (not for women PCs - but for low level PCs) and get them to do a few delivery missions of X-Wing ships (and maybe other ships) that have only just been built.

You could even have the pilots go to collect unfinished ships (maybe ones that don't have guns installed or ones that don't have the hyperdrive installed) and get them to deliver them to a bunch of NPC mechanics that work with them to get the ships "finished".

They could also salvage X-Wing parts from junkyards or maybe even break into an Imperial facility to steal a few components.

If you go down this route, with the PCs scrounging things, collecting things and working with "boffins" who build things out of bits, you could get to the stage where the boffins need pilots and the PCs are the people they trust.

And if your PCs are the "backup team" for the "real pilots", then you could have some of the "real pilot" NPCs get killed off, so that the commander needs another group of pilots to add to the main squadron. Or you could have the PCs scrounge enough ships that the commander wants to have more ships flying on the important missions.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Star Wars”