[EU] Game Material for the 8 Eras of the Extended Universe?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Which of these Eras do you find interesting?

Before the Republic
5%
The Old Republic (Also Sith Era)
21%
The Prequel Era / Rise of the Empire Era
13%
The Classic Era
26%
New Republic
23%
New Jedi Order
3%
Legacy Era
8%
I don't use the EU
3%
Other (Explain in post)
No votes

Total votes: 39

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[EU] Game Material for the 8 Eras of the Extended Universe?

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Eight different publishing eras were part of the Extended Universe (now renamed Star Wars legends):

Before the Republic
The Classic Era
New Republic
New Jedi Order
Legacy Era

How much RPG material is available supporting the different eras? My main experience is with the old WEG RPG which supported the Classic Era, the New Republic Era and had at least one sourcebook for the Old Republic. I dropped out of the D20 Star Wars when it was still focusing on the Prequels, but I know that the game later also supported the Classic era and perhaps a few others.

I also added a poll about everyone's favourte eras, so feel free to make comments about that in the text as well:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [EU] Game Material for the 8 Eras of the Extended Univer

Post by agathokles » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Saga has a book on each of the following eras:
- Rebellion
- Clone Wars (plus rest of the Rise of Empire era supported in the main books)
- Legacy (only supported in Saga, AFAIK)
- Knights of the Old Republic
- Force Unleashed (between Prequel and Original; it is also the only era supported by an adventure path)

D20 had greater support for the New Jedi Order, which was a bit reduced in Saga, but present in the main rulebook, while WEG had greater support for the New Republic.

Personally, I've used mostly KotOR and Force Unleashed.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Checking on Wikipedia, D20 has the following books for specific eras:
  • Rebellion Era Sourcebook
  • The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
There is no specific "Rise of Empire" book, but the original book provides details on Episode I, although it supports also NJO and Rebellion, and the revised edition adds Episode II (but not Episode III, which was covered only in a series of online articles, IIRC). Also, most of the supplemental material is primarily meant for the Phantom Menace era (i.e., before the Clone Wars).
Some support for the Old Republic eras (both KotOR and TotJ) is provided in the Dark Side Sourcebook.

Saga Edition has "The Unknown Regions", which is more of a area sourcebook rather than an era sourcebook (it focuses on the eponymous galactic region and on generating planets), but provides details for several New Jedi Order era species and planets (in particular, the Chiss).

The WEG game has many more sourcebooks dealing with specific subsections of the EU timeline, including the Thrawn and the Palpatine clones (Dark Empire) trilogies, which belong to the New Republic era. There should also be a book on Tales of the Jedi, IIRC.

I'm not familiar at all with the FFG game (its publication model of standalone sub-games for the same era doesn't appeal to me, nor does the use of custom dice). I gather from Wikipedia that all the games are set in the Rebellion era.

Overall, if you had to choose a rules system based on the available support for your target era, it would go as follows:
  • Before the Republic: there is no support for this era in the games (mostly because there is little information available elsewhere, too).
  • The Old Republic (Also Sith Era): for Knights of the Old Republic, it is definitely Saga (good luck finding a copy of the book, though). For other segments of this era, all have similar level of support (low to none)
  • The Prequel Era / Rise of the Empire Era: Saga has more material, since it was published after Episode III. Moreover, it supports the Force Unleashed and Clone Wars sub-eras, whereas the D20 game does not.
  • The Classic Era: all games have similar amount of material, IMO.
  • New Republic: WEG has a lot of material on the New Republic, especially the Thrawn saga.
  • New Jedi Order: D20 has a dedicated sourcebook, which none of the other games have.
  • Legacy Era: here Saga is the only viable choice. Luckily, it is relatively easy to find the book.
Last edited by agathokles on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Havard wrote:Eight different publishing eras were part of the Extended Universe (now renamed Star Wars legends):

Before the Republic
The Classic Era
New Republic
New Jedi Order
Legacy Era
It is worth noting that several of these eras are very long, and can be divided in sub-eras with different support:
  • Before the Republic
    • Rakata Infinite Empire
    • Xim the Despot
    • Formation of the Republic
  • The Old Republic (Also Sith Era)
    • Great Hyperspace War
    • Tales of the Jedi (Exar Kun and Ulic Qel Droma era)
    • Knights of the Old Republic (Revan era)
    • The Old Republic (the recent CRPG era)
    • Brotherhood of Darkness
  • The Prequel Era / Rise of the Empire Era
    • Phantom Menace Era (pre-Clone Wars)
    • The Clone Wars (from Episode II to Episode III)
    • The Force Unleashed (after Episode III but before the formation of the Rebellion)
  • The Classic Era
  • New Republic
  • New Jedi Order
  • Legacy Era

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:00 am

Not surprising to see the Rebellion and the New Republic getting lots of votes, as all of us grew up with the Rebellion and many of us grew up with the New Republic, too. What is interesting is to see so much love for the Old Republic. This, rather than the Rise of the Empire, seems to be the era of the Galaxy’s past which fans have most enthusiastically embraced. If the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire Saga were the honorary “Sequel Trilogy” of many fans’ fancy for two decades, I suppose the Knights of the Old Republic Series succeeded in giving us an honorary “Prequel Trilogy” that we could love, as a truly epic Sith era ripe for adventure.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Falconer wrote:Not surprising to see the Rebellion and the New Republic getting lots of votes, as all of us grew up with the Rebellion and many of us grew up with the New Republic, too. What is interesting is to see so much love for the Old Republic. This, rather than the Rise of the Empire, seems to be the era of the Galaxy’s past which fans have most enthusiastically embraced. If the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire Saga were the honorary “Sequel Trilogy” of many fans’ fancy for two decades, I suppose the Knights of the Old Republic Series succeeded in giving us an honorary “Prequel Trilogy” that we could love, as a truly epic Sith era ripe for adventure.
I think this is a good analysis. I first discovered the Old Republic through the Dark Horse comics, but the KotOR games were great too. I never played the online game.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:36 am

Did you feel the comics gave you a good enough feel for the time period? I have never played the video games (and don’t plan to).
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Return to “Star Wars”