Adventure modules

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Adventure modules

Post by agathokles » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi all,

one of the primary problems of Saga (and I suspect of all the d20-based versions of the game) is that building adventures takes quite some time, and there are basically no published modules (there are a number of free adventures, though, in particular the Dawn of Defiance series) for Saga, and only a few for d20 (I do have Tempest Feud, in particular).
In some sense, the various sourcebooks help by providing sets of encounters which in theory can be strung together to create full-length adventures.
However, Dawn of Defiance is the only full adventure path available (and I've already played it, of course...).

So, a couple of questions arise:
  1. Which other modules exist, and how good are they?
  2. Which other games can provide modules/scenarios that can imported?
I'm currently aware of the following:
Star Wars Saga Edition
  • Dawn of Defiance (official): a very good series set in the Force Unleashed era (right after Episode VI). Only suffers at very high levels, when the game tends to break down (like most d20 systems, AFAIU)
  • Iridonian Darkness (official): not part of a series, designed for the Knights of the Old Republic era. Good but short, some elements may be reusable in a longer game
  • The Fell Star (official): part of the Scum & Villainy supplement, a good introductory adventure for "fringe" characters
  • Eve of Destruction (fan): a series set in the Legacy Era, I know near to nothing about it
Star Wars d20
  • Tempest Feud (official): a longer adventure set on Tatooine in the Rise of Empire era (pre-Clone Wars). I think a (fan) Saga conversion may be available somewhere
  • Short modules from WotC website (official): there were some twenty freely downloadable adventures on WotC's website. I've got all of them, and have converted a couple (Gun Nut, in particular). Most are quite short.
Star Wars d6 (WEG)
There were several adventures for the WEG d6 edition, but I'm not familiar with them. Ironically, the only one I have is the one that was translated to Saga as part of Dawn of Defiance (Planet of Evil).

Other Games
A very incomplete listing, as I'm not terribly familiar with space opera games outside Star Wars.
  • Ashen Stars: this is a GUMSHOE dark-ish space opera game, more tuned to represent a Star Trek-like universe than Star Wars. However, the adventures (collected in "Dead Rock Seven") are rather good, as often happens with Pelgrane Press. I'm slowly converting them to Saga.
  • Traveller: an old-school space opera game. I'm asking over at the Traveller forum about the adventures.
Anything else worth looking at?

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Adventure modules

Post by Havard » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:42 am

Star Wars d6 (WEG)
There were several adventures for the WEG d6 edition, but I'm not familiar with them. Ironically, the only one I have is the one that was translated to Saga as part of Dawn of Defiance (Planet of Evil).
The D6 Star Wars material is excellent. It is the version of Star Wars RPGs that I have the most experience with. If you can get your hands on the Tramp Freighters Campaign book, that one is really good. It was the basis for one of my old campaigns. I really wanted to run the DarkStryder Campaign, but I never had a chance to do that. Other than those I mainly just made up my own adventures so I could not really tell you which ones are good.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:43 am

There were a ton of WEG modules. How about Tatooine Manhunt, Strike Force: Shantipole, Starfall, Crisis on Cloud City, or Black Ice?
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:35 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Some WEG material is still around in Italy -- from the remains at the publisher warehouse. I recently got the Italian edition of Planet of Evil, Politics of Contraband , and Graveyard of Alderaan.

I'll look into the others you mentioned.

GP

Return to “Star Wars”