[EU] Best parts of the EU?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[EU] Best parts of the EU?

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:53 pm

Warning: Don't click on this link if you haven't seen Ep VII yet: http://io9.gizmodo.com/8-parts-of-the-s ... 1749592339?

In the article linked, there is a discussion of which parts of the EU should have been kept as part of the official "Disney Canon". Turning this into a more RPG friendly discussion, what are your favorite parts of the Extended Universe? Based on the input so far from the discussion of using Episode VII as the basis of an RPG (SPOILERS here too), many here are big fans of the Extended Universe so maybe this could be a good thread to come up with some elements from the EU that we like including in RPG campaigns?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [EU] Best parts of the EU?

Post by agathokles » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:48 pm

I'd keep all of the EU rather than the Disney Canon.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Hehe, yeah I know that, but I was wondering if we could be more specific.

For instance, I like the New Republic as described by West End Games. I also like pretty much everything set up in the Admiral Thrawn novels. I do like the idea of Luke setting up the Jedi Academy, but I didn't care much for the actual Jedi Academy Trilogy.

I think the Dark Empire/Crimson Empire series was well made, but the story got a bit over the top for me, especially with Dark Empire II etc. I did like many concepts introduced in those series though, like the Nar Shadda (Spl) moon for instance, and of course the confirmation that Boba Fett survived.

I also like the Shadows of the Empire novels/comic books alot.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:28 am

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:24 am

Havard wrote:Hehe, yeah I know that, but I was wondering if we could be more specific.

For instance, I like the New Republic as described by West End Games. I also like pretty much everything set up in the Admiral Thrawn novels. I do like the idea of Luke setting up the Jedi Academy, but I didn't care much for the actual Jedi Academy Trilogy.

I think the Dark Empire/Crimson Empire series was well made, but the story got a bit over the top for me, especially with Dark Empire II etc. I did like many concepts introduced in those series though, like the Nar Shadda (Spl) moon for instance, and of course the confirmation that Boba Fett survived.

-Havard
Well, I think also Tales of the Jedi and Knights of the Old Republic (games and comics) are very good. And of course the clone wars animated series and film. Also, many characters in NJO were originally introduced elsewhere (Kyle Katarn and Keyan Farlander are originally from the Dark Force and X-Wing computer games, IIRC).

GP

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:37 am

The Yuzhaan Vong. Far and away the most interesting thing in the EU for my money. More interesting than most of what was in the novels. I rather wish they weren't confined to an obscure section of Star Wars; they're an extremely interesting alien concept which could be transplanted to any number of settings, making utterly horrific and compellingly weird yet oddly sympathetic antagonists. That sort of perfect storm is very hard to come by.

Also Mara Jade. Great character, with one of the best villain motivations I've ever seen.

(And on a more flippant note, the image of a white-armored Darth Vader at the end of one rather dumb comic book has always stayed with me. They didn't treat it with much gravitas, but I still found it highly amusing and thought-provoking.)

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:09 am

willpell wrote:(And on a more flippant note, the image of a white-armored Darth Vader at the end of one rather dumb comic book has always stayed with me.)
That *would* be something interesting to see. And somewhat startling too, which is why I'm not at all surprised it would stick with you. I'm having difficulty just trying to visualize it.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Hugin wrote:
willpell wrote:(And on a more flippant note, the image of a white-armored Darth Vader at the end of one rather dumb comic book has always stayed with me.)
That *would* be something interesting to see. And somewhat startling too, which is why I'm not at all surprised it would stick with you. I'm having difficulty just trying to visualize it.
No visualization required; I found the exact panel online, along with numerous other renditions of the concept (apparently I'm not the only one who found it striking). The image is too big for me to embed, so follow this link:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0110203600

Mind you, I don't think it necessarily follows that a white-armored Vader actually has to be good. The stormtroopers wear white, after all; Vader is playing into his "ancient religion" by dressing in honor of the Dark Side, but maybe he decides to let it go and pretend he's turned over a new leaf, while still remaining just as ruthless and power-hungry, just with a bit more self-control about it.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:12 pm

I think my favorite parts of the EU are the Thrawn Series novels and Knights of the Old Republic I and II (but not the MMO). Thrawn, as a non-Forcue using antagonist is absolutely fantastic. The KotoR games expanded the universe considerably and gave a great backdrop to the era that can be mined for RPG gold. Though I've never played any of the Dark Forces games, I like what I've read of them. Also, I really like the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:49 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:I think my favorite parts of the EU are the Thrawn Series novels and Knights of the Old Republic I and II (but not the MMO). Thrawn, as a non-Forcue using antagonist is absolutely fantastic. The KotoR games expanded the universe considerably and gave a great backdrop to the era that can be mined for RPG gold. Though I've never played any of the Dark Forces games, I like what I've read of them.
Agreed! I didnt mention the KotoR/Old Republic stuff earlier, so just want to say that I am a fan of those as well. :)

Also, I really like the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series.
I *love* Rebels and I am watching the Clone Wars now and warming up to it. I only watched individual episodes before.

Am I right in thinking that Rebels is not part of the EU, while the Clone Wars is both part of the EU and Disney Canon? Although I haven't seen anything in Rebels contradicting the EU yet (only watched Season 1 yet though).

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:56 pm

I *love* Rebels and I am watching the Clone Wars now and warming up to it. I only watched individual episodes before.
Clone Wars takes a bit to get going, but Season 3 onward really starts to tackle some weighty issues and goes for a more mature tone (while still being a kids show).
Am I right in thinking that Rebels is not part of the EU, while the Clone Wars is both part of the EU and Disney Canon? Although I haven't seen anything in Rebels contradicting the EU yet (only watched Season 1 yet though).
Rebels is certainly Disney Canon, no question there. I haven't seen it contradict the EU any more than Clone Wars has (and Clone Wars does contradict established EU canon pretty heavily near the end). Clone Wars was always in this grey area of canon. It was happy to contradict the EU, but it also played to that fan base from time to time. I always felt that Dave Filoni and the guys treated the EU like sourcebooks for a campaign they were running that happened to be a TV show :P

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:59 am

Also, I think this should be a canonical depiction of the band that Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron, and Justin Timberlake used to be in together.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 am

Havard wrote:Hehe, yeah I know that, but I was wondering if we could be more specific.

Generally, elements of the EU are stronger when they are part of a multimedia project. E.g., KotOR has the computer games, the comics, and the Saga RPG sourcebook which create a coherent set. The same is true for The Force Unleashed (computer games, books, comics, RPG sourcebook) and Shadows of the Empire (novels, comics, computer game, etc.), and the Thrawn Trilogy (books plus WEG RPG supplements plus comics).

These large projects are IMO the backbone of the EU, especially the pre-Prequel trilogy part of it.

GP

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:41 pm

That reminds me of two other things I really liked in the EU. As a slightly amusing point, I found the mention of the Shell Hutts in one of the Boba Fett novels entertaining - one of the few places that's too deadly for the Hutts to survive, and they live there anyway, they just wear ARMOR. And, as a point of substantially greater satisfaction, one of the comic books contained a character named Embra the Hutt, who was different from the others, in that he believed that treating his subordinates fairly would better maximize his profits. Embra and Jabba and one other Hutt all hired a bunch of bounty hunters to go after some prize, but Embra was the only one who actually thought it would be worth giving his agents detailed dossiers on the prize and on all of their competition; the other two Hutts were sabotaging their own patsies for their amusement, and Embra was just as selfish as any of them, but without the pointlessly mercurial habits that ultimately only hurt your cause. I thought that was a REALLY good character concept.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:25 pm

That's... super cool. I'm totally going to use that in my campaign now. Reminds me a lot of how Thrawn differed from the majority of Imperial officers.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:12 pm

I just saw The Force Awakens, this week. I like it, though only time will tell whether it will worm its way into my imagination as the legit continuation vs. an alternate dark future.

I am also listening to The Thrawn Trilogy audiobooks (unabridged), currently, and enjoying it very much.

Any opinions as to whether TFA contradicts TTT in any substantial way? Official or not, might they not, in one’s imagination, inhabit the same universe? The most obvious contradiction, I guess, is that apparently Han and Leia don’t have twins in TFA (although, who knows?).
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Falconer wrote:I just saw The Force Awakens, this week. I like it, though only time will tell whether it will worm its way into my imagination as the legit continuation vs. an alternate dark future.

I am also listening to The Thrawn Trilogy audiobooks (unabridged), currently, and enjoying it very much.

Any opinions as to whether TFA contradicts TTT in any substantial way? Official or not, might they not, in one’s imagination, inhabit the same universe? The most obvious contradiction, I guess, is that apparently Han and Leia don’t have twins in TFA (although, who knows?).
I agree. There are very few contraditions between the TFA and the early EU.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

finarvyn
Bugbear

Post by finarvyn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:20 pm

My short answer to the question would be "anything with Timothy Zahn's name on it." If I had been George Lucas, I would have found a director and handed him copies of Zahn's books and told him to film them.

I remember liking Shadows of the Empire as well as the "Jedi Academy" trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson, but it's been a long time since I read them and they may not be as cool as I remember.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Return to “Star Wars”