[Shatterzone] A Repository for Star Wars Concepts?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Shatterzone] A Repository for Star Wars Concepts?

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:07 pm

Back when West End Games were making D6 Star Wars, they also published a Sci Fi RPG called Shatterzone:
Wikipedia wrote:The Shatterzone universe shares much in common with the Star Wars role-playing game produced by the same company and was a repository for original ideas produced for Star Wars but which were turned down by the legal department of Lucasfilm.[citation needed] As such, the universe of Shatterzone shares some structural similarities to the Star Wars expanded universe including an intergalactic government called the Consortium (like the Republic from Star Wars) run from a central region of space known as the Core Worlds, large megacorps that run galactic affairs (a theme common in the cyberpunk genre of storytelling), and a super-industrialized capital world, called Centaurus but similar to Star Wars' Coruscant. Likewise, there is a sentiment of xenophobia in the setting similar to that of the Empire in Star Wars. Humans, Glahns, and Ishantras, the three ruling races of the Consortium and a few others are given full citizen status while other races suffer under prejudice and second-class-citizenship.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatterzone

According to the article above, the Shatterzone game line was a repository for ideas (perhaps also modules, sourcebooks etc?) that were turned down by Lucasfilm. It should be noted that former president of West End Games Scott Palter, denied this to me on Facebook a few years ago.

However, has anyone thought about using Shatterzone material for Star Wars? The RPG is now back in print from Precis Media so the books are fairly easy to get hold of. Conversion to D20, Saga or the current RPG might take alot of work, but D6 conversion guidelines should be available on the web.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Shatterzone] A Repository for Star Wars Concepts?

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:58 am

In his recent interview at Precis Intermedia Games, Scott Palter denied this rumour:
Scott Palter Interview wrote:5. Is the rumor true that Shatterzone resulted from having a lot of rejected ideas by Lucasfilm? I don't see it, but lots of people seem to believe that.

No. It was supposed to be a darker space opera more to my taste than Star Wars. My favorite series is Cherryh’s Company Wars. Not an unlicensed steal but more the way I would have done such a military space opera. I had a template. Sadly I didn’t supervise it well enough [one of the running stories of my life] and it drifted from my vision.
Doesn't mean Shatterzone material cannot be converted to Star Wars of course! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Star Wars”