Is a D&D/Star Wars crossover game possible?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Is a D&D/Star Wars crossover game possible?

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:52 am

I've been thinking a lot lately about the idea of a game that is one part D&D and one part Star Wars, blending the two into a cohesive whole.

In a lot of ways, I think this works out well enough, but I have a couple of hangups.
1. Magic and the Force in the same game. The simple answer is that magic is a Force-using tradition from a primitive world where the Jedi aren't known. Yet magic does things the Force can't.
2. Can you have dragons and stormtroopers in the same game? In other words, can iconic elements from both settings mix?

So what do you guys think? Is a crossover possible, and if so, how would you do it? Or are the two so different that they should remain separate?

Discuss!
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Is a D&D/Star Wars crossover game possible?

Post by agathokles » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi, you are certainly right. Magic as a Force tradition exists in the Extended Universe (now called "Legends" by Disney), for example in the Dathomiri Witches or the Sorcerers of Tund. (Krayt) Dragons and other monsters reminiscent of D&D also exist.
Since the two WotC Star Wars games also use d20-based rules systems, a crossover is certainly feasible.

I can see at least two angles to this:
  • A D&D world as a primitive world in the Star Wars galaxy. If you want consistent rules, just use SW Saga the primitive world as well (this has been done already for pure fantasy games, so why not...), or a more closely D&D-based SW conversion for Star Wars.
  • Note that a Star Wars + D&D crossover is in some sense already present in The Strange RPG, since the "Rebel Galaxy" is basically Star Wars and the "Sword Realms" are a D&D mini-setting, both with their serial numbers filed off.
There are a number of issues that arise from the D&D cosmology -- e.g., how to map the Inner and Outer Planes, etc. In most cases, the Marvel treatment of such issues would work -- i.e., Outer Planes are simply other planets, although the inhabitant of primitive worlds do not know it. Some dimensions with more fantastic properties might map to the hyperspace or other dimensions as seen in Star Wars EU.

GP

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:32 pm

I know someone let Star Wars characters show up through a portal in Sigil in a Planescape campaign. That doesn't really require any complex cosmological justification other than "Sigil's portals can go anywhere."

The rules from the Magic of Incarnum hardcover are essentially the Force, so they could be used to create a Star Wars-like setting minus the technology.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:31 pm

In my current campaign where I do just this here are my solutions. D&D races are just aliens that were not yet discovered, and live out in the rim, or on planets less traveled. Some of those races have star faring technology and can be found in places like Mos Eisley. How I handle magic is that its a lesser version of the force. There are lesser force users that have to study to focus the energy and greater force users that can do it through a connection to the energy itself (thing Greater and Lesser Wizards from Raymond Feist's Magician, and just like that series the two versions of weilders cant cross over). Dragons and stormtroopers can, and do exist in the same universe. Some in my campaign are even crime bosses on their particular planets. Right now my group is on the world of Noran, which has a primitive spaceport (i.e. a large field with a large tower that has primitive radio equipment). The town there is run by Drax, an ancient Black Dragon and he is currently using the pcs to help fight the stormtroopers that have just landed to try to take over his "piece of the action."
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:50 pm

agathokles wrote:Hi, you are certainly right. Magic as a Force tradition exists in the Extended Universe (now called "Legends" by Disney), for example in the Dathomiri Witches...
This appeared in Star Wars The Clone Wars making it Canon. Asajj Ventress, Darth Maul and his brother Savage Opress are all from Dathomir.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:30 pm

agathokles wrote:Hi, you are certainly right. Magic as a Force tradition exists in the Extended Universe (now called "Legends" by Disney), for example in the Dathomiri Witches or the Sorcerers of Tund. (Krayt) Dragons and other monsters reminiscent of D&D also exist.
Since the two WotC Star Wars games also use d20-based rules systems, a crossover is certainly feasible.

I can see at least two angles to this:
  • A D&D world as a primitive world in the Star Wars galaxy. If you want consistent rules, just use SW Saga the primitive world as well (this has been done already for pure fantasy games, so why not...), or a more closely D&D-based SW conversion for Star Wars.
  • Note that a Star Wars + D&D crossover is in some sense already present in The Strange RPG, since the "Rebel Galaxy" is basically Star Wars and the "Sword Realms" are a D&D mini-setting, both with their serial numbers filed off.
There are a number of issues that arise from the D&D cosmology -- e.g., how to map the Inner and Outer Planes, etc. In most cases, the Marvel treatment of such issues would work -- i.e., Outer Planes are simply other planets, although the inhabitant of primitive worlds do not know it. Some dimensions with more fantastic properties might map to the hyperspace or other dimensions as seen in Star Wars EU.

GP
Why, thanks for the plug! From a mechanics standpoint, it's not altogether that hard to blend the two together. The Strange is a good system for blending genres and settings. From a story perspective, D&D will accept pretty much anything. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was all about exploring a crashed spaceship and finding fantastic future tech. Pathfinder went ahead and built a whole subsetting based on blending magic and futuristic technology together. Now, if I wanted to bring D&D to Star Wars, instead of the other way around, it would be fairly easy to have a planet where "magic" resided (yes, like Dathomir). Magic, of course, simply being a manipulation of The Force through natural talents (like Sorcerers), study (like Wizards), or communication with "spirits" (like Warlocks). They just happen to view the Force through the lens of verbal, somatic, and material components. Except for those who understand Psionics. They totally get The Force.

Now, Golems and Warforged and the like would be really interesting. Can a Warforged use the Force? It certainly can cast spells. Why can't a droid, then? How did a construct get access to the Living Force? (Of course, whether or not Warforged have souls is a question that the Eberron campaign setting leaves up to the DM, so it would be quite the mystery to explore in Star Wars).

EDIT: Does magic do anything The Force can't? Or do we simply not know the limits of The Force? The Aing-Tii can fold space and teleport themselves and ships vast distances by using The Force in a way no Jedi understands.

EDIT 2: Yes, yes, a bit of hyperbole. Luke and Ben Skywalker did learn how to Fold Space from the Aing-Tii. Regardless, it requires a very different understanding of The Force.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:07 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:2. Can you have dragons and stormtroopers in the same game? In other words, can iconic elements from both settings mix?
No.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:06 pm

willpell wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:2. Can you have dragons and stormtroopers in the same game? In other words, can iconic elements from both settings mix?
No.
I find your lack of creativity disturbing.

I can think of a couple ways to use both Stormtroopers and Dragons at the same time. A Krayt Dragon was captured and experimented on using Sith Alchemy to produce a variant that could breathe fire (or any other elemental type). Heck, maybe it grew wings. Now you have a traditional D&D dragon. Maybe the Sith infused his own dark essence into the beast, giving it some dark intelligence. Want it to cast spells? The Sith's spirit within the dragon lets it use The Force. Or dragons could be massive beasts tamed or bioengineered by the Yuuzhan Vong. Or stormtroopers enter a D&D setting via some hyperspace malfunction or strange rift in the Unknown Regions.

It is far from impossible.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:18 pm

Story Hook: A group of Stormtroopers are searching the swamps of Dagobah because they've heard rumors that the Jedi Master Yoda has taken up residence there. They discover a strange hut, resting on top of what looks two large avian feet. Curious, they investigate, and find themselves trapped within the hut that is far larger on the inside than it appeared. Dangers are everywhere and their perceptions are difficult to reconcile with reality. They manage to escape as the hut deposits them in a strange and unfamiliar world...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:21 pm

BTW, City of the Gods is essentially "Star Trek spaceship stranded on a D&D world" (Blackmoor in this case), plus blasters and lightsabers...

GP

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:58 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:I find your lack of creativity disturbing.
A milieu is defined as much by what it lacks as by what it has. Putting guns, laser or otherwise, into a fantasy scenario utterly changes its feel, in a way that I regard as "ruining it". Starships, computers, radio - they all have utterly transformative effects on the social politics, economy, religious framework, and every other aspect of life; they can't simply be "dropped in" without completely destroying my suspension of disbelief.

And to go the other direction, D&D has a lot of bizarre assumptions built into it which work in a medieval context; people go dungeon-delving because their only entertainment their entire life has been bardic tales of previous adventurers. But in a more "normal life, except IN SPACE" kind of setting, its tropes begin to look utterly silly. A stormtrooper or Han Solo type could never take the behavior of typical fighters and wizards seriously; he'd be out there sawing ladders in half and selling the resulting 10-foot poles at a profit, because why would you ever risk your neck when you can break the flawed economy of a bunch of moronic backworlder hicks?

No, I don't think these streams can ever benefit from being crossed.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I've been thinking a lot lately about the idea of a game that is one part D&D and one part Star Wars, blending the two into a cohesive whole.

In a lot of ways, I think this works out well enough, but I have a couple of hangups.
1. Magic and the Force in the same game. The simple answer is that magic is a Force-using tradition from a primitive world where the Jedi aren't known. Yet magic does things the Force can't.
2. Can you have dragons and stormtroopers in the same game? In other words, can iconic elements from both settings mix?

So what do you guys think? Is a crossover possible, and if so, how would you do it? Or are the two so different that they should remain separate?

Discuss!
Depends on what your after. Star Wars elements in D&D, or D&D elements in Star Wars? Either is possible, and in a way, they are already mixed. We saw orc-like creatures in Jabba's palace. Various creatures look similar to D&D critters. They often share common themes. Various Star Wars races and critters have shown up in D&D. Some magic items are no doubt inspired by Star Wars (many attempts at lightsabers, for example).

I'd say its not only possible, but cross-contamination has happened on both sides already.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:28 pm

Science Fiction has been part of Dungeons and Dragons for a long time. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, the City of the Gods and just about anything Blackmoor, Needle and others I can't think of off the top of my head though I know my first taste of advanced weaponry came from the AD&D 1e Dungeon Master's Guide over 30 years ago. Saying they don't mix is decades late.

I've been working on a similar campaign idea for a while. Back when 3.5e was the D&D of the day, crossing over with d20 Revised Star Wars was very easy. I ran a d20 Revised campaign for years and whenever a player would get rules lawyery with me I'd pull out a Monster Manual, flip through it and chuckle. Crossover was easy enough and there were many things I could use from D&D which could easily be refluffed to fit into Star Wars.

Lately I've been working on converting a homebrew version of Star Wars for D&D 5e for use in Fantasy Grounds. The races were easy enough to input though the classes may be more challenging. Still, I like the approach the game uses. Force powers work the same as spells because they are refluffed spells and I think it works. Many low level Force powers can be used as cantrips and from the classes you can see how force users are created using the base D&D classes as templates. Since it is D&D, material from d20 Star Wars most notably the aforementioned Revised Edition as well as the subsequent Saga edition can be used as is in the game.

As mentioned before, there have been some weird uses of The Force in Clone Wars and more recently Rebels which are considered canon and therefore you don't even have to the now defunct Expanded Universe to cite Force Magic.

As mentioned I am working on a campaign, though mine is probably even stranger than just crossing over D&D. A little over a year ago I started working on a crossover between Star Wars and Star Trek. Not the "versus" kind of crossover which enrages fans on either side, but something a little more integrated. The premise with that something known as The Event (probably Q induced) caused the two Galaxies to merge. The Event occurred around the time of the original Five Year Mission in Star Trek and around the end of the Clone Wars in Star Wars with the campaign itself taking place some 20 years later which puts it around the time of the Wrath of Khan in Trek and A New Hope in Star Wars. In this version, technology has been cross seeded and new boundaries have been formed. Entities like the Federation, Romulan Star Empire and Klingon Empire had to deal with suddenly having larger populations. I won't get into it too far as I want to avoid enraging fans who have their own head canon.

Integrating D&D into the mix is something more recent but not without precedent. Back when I ran d20 Revised, I had one world which was basically Ravenloft and another which was basically Granbretan from Hawkmoon. I had already decided to add other Science Fiction elements on a smaller scale, such as playing out Wrath of Khan except that Tau Ceti V turned out to be LV-426/Acheron. Fully blown Tyrell, Waylon-Yutani, and Cyberdyne Corporations appeared. I'll add other things as I feel like it, though the locations of the D&D worlds will take some time to work out. I could go the cheap and easy way and stick them in the unexplored regions though being in more populated areas could be fun.

This is a map I kludged together by drawing on a Star Wars Galaxy Map and adding Trek Stuff. It would be easy enough to integrate D&D without the Trek stuff, but since I've already been working on it it's easier for me to keep it. Image

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:29 pm

willpell wrote:
enderxenocide0 wrote:I find your lack of creativity disturbing.
A milieu is defined as much by what it lacks as by what it has. Putting guns, laser or otherwise, into a fantasy scenario utterly changes its feel, in a way that I regard as "ruining it". Starships, computers, radio - they all have utterly transformative effects on the social politics, economy, religious framework, and every other aspect of life; they can't simply be "dropped in" without completely destroying my suspension of disbelief.

And to go the other direction, D&D has a lot of bizarre assumptions built into it which work in a medieval context; people go dungeon-delving because their only entertainment their entire life has been bardic tales of previous adventurers. But in a more "normal life, except IN SPACE" kind of setting, its tropes begin to look utterly silly. A stormtrooper or Han Solo type could never take the behavior of typical fighters and wizards seriously; he'd be out there sawing ladders in half and selling the resulting 10-foot poles at a profit, because why would you ever risk your neck when you can break the flawed economy of a bunch of moronic backworlder hicks?

That's a much better reply than just "no". Hm. Do you feel that no two genres can or should ever be mixed, then? Or is it these two in particular that you find distasteful?

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:45 pm

I do plan on having expies of Star Wars and Star Trek (among other SF franchises which I like) exist in distant galaxies of my Whiteleaf setting, but they are explicitly meant to be so far away and so wrapped up in their own affairs as to have almost no possibility of crossing over. It's the kind of thing that might be mentioned, but would only ever happen if the campaign went to epic levels (and thus were bored enough to need this kind of barrel-scraping). Mostly the concept exists more to have these galaxies cross over with each other, in the framework of a loose arbitration by Whiteleaf's cooperative deities, rather than to have the D&D characters of Terrestra (the name of the Earth-equivalent planet) ever come in contact with any of them.
enderxenocide0 wrote:That's a much better reply than just "no".
Yes, I mostly started that way for comic effect.
Hm. Do you feel that no two genres can or should ever be mixed, then? Or is it these two in particular that you find distasteful?
Science fiction is not a "genre", it is a "mega-genre" which contains numerous sub-genres within it. Fantasy is another mega-genre, of which the D&D style is one subset. Genres can be blended sometimes, but mega-genres exist for a particular purpose which is usually incompatible with each other. It's sometimes possible to patch the two of them together - horror is a distinct genre as well, but can be crosshatched into either F or SF without too much difficulty. However, it's impossible to have a story which maximizes the purposes of two different mega-genres, so the result is usually a somewhat awkward compromise, like comedy-horror or romance-fantasy, where the main thrust is somewhat diluted by trying to have it both ways. F and SF in particular pull in almost exactly opposite directions; a story that tries to be both at once usually ends up poorly representing either.

The point of SF, in my opinion, is to explore possible alternate futures (or occasionally possible alternate presents and pasts) by asking a single "What if?" question, or a small handful of related ones. Everything that isn't specifically changed ought to be realistic, so that the simulationist value of the what-if question is pure. For instance, if you write a story about the invention of the teleportation device, you should assume that such concepts as human nature, economics, and geopolitical reality remain as they are in the real world, in order to explore how the world would change if a teleporter were invented. If you write a story in which a teleporter is invented and human beings magically set aside millennia of internecine conflict and selfishly avaricious motives, just because you want your story to be about people visiting their friends in seventeen different countries within an afternoon, then you have to make some effort at explaining why this supposed future of Earth bears so little resemblance to the Earth we know, or else your story is really more like fantasy rather than sci-fi.

Now fantasy, on the other hand, is pure invention. Its purpose is not to ask "what if", but rather to ask "why?", or simply to meditate upon the answers thereto. Fantasy usually has human characters, or at least anthropomorphizes the nonhuman ones to a large extent, and ultimately it's about reflecting on the innermost truths of the people reading and writing it. We might live on a flat planet where flying cities full of talking anthro dragons do all our laundry for us, but love is still the most powerful human emotion, and the story is basically just a reframing of Romeo and Juliet or Tristan and Isolde or some other classic romance. Fantasy stories can change anything with no need to rationalize it; magic simply exists, and the story isn't about how it works or what it can do, it's just there to facilitate the story of an inept young wizard learning cofidence while protecting the shapeshifted magical beast he's trying to keep out of the evil king's cruel clutches. That story isn't about the exact properties of ground unicorn horn and how society changes when it gains access to that power, it's a tale of friendship and love and defiance of evil, and it could take place equally well in any setting; you just choose the backdrop and trappings that appeal to your sense of aesthetics.

In essence, science fiction is a thought experiment, while fantasy is a modern form of mythology, not explicitly taken as being true, but still reflecting on our values and inner life the same way the old Norse sagas and Greek tragedies did. So mixing the two up generally only dilutes the point.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the replies thus far. I look forward to reading them later tonight. :)

So let me give you some background on my thoughtline. The very first D&D campaign I played in was a homebrew AD&D 2nd edition game that was part fantasy and part tech. I have always wanted to do my own take on the idea, using some inspiration from this game.

The fantasy side had all your standard tropes, including a bad-ass dragon war and Tiamat. I think Bahamut was in the setting, but we never saw him. My character had a sword of the planes that could plane shift twice a day. There was a Spelljammer element to it as well. We had a sci-fi vessel that could pass as a spelljamming vessel. We even went to the Rock of Bral. One of the themes of this game was that the fantasy side of things was limited to this one system, or crystal sphere.

The sci-fi side was one part Star Trek, one part Star Wars, and one part Babylon 5. You had a lot of standard sci-fi tropes, like robots, blasters, laser swords, starfighters, a capital ship (with a forward section that could detach), and eventually a space station. We even had our own brand of Psi Corps. The Empire actually showed up once, having come through a wormhole to our station. We all served as part of an Alliance.

My buddy Patrick Stutzman ran this campaign. If the name sounds familiar, it's because he was a designer on the Star Wars Saga Edition game. He put in a few items from our game into his work (such as gauntlet computers and the aerosled airspeeder). Even my character, Kylun, makes an appearance as Kai Lunn, head of a mining guild. But I digress.

So the point is, I'd like to do a bit of worldbuilding, which may or may not be run as a game someday. I want to create my own thing, where D&D and Star Wars can meet and work together. My main concern is magic, of course. I thought about calling this area of space the Frontier Sector, inspired by Star Frontiers. That way, I can take some stuff from SF and d20 Future as well.

My biggest problem is magic. We had psionics as well, but that's not a huge deal since psionics can equate somewhat to the Force. Tiamat and Bahamut may be problematic as well. In terms of deities, I'm tempted to throw out all deities and have cleric magic come from the Force.

I'm going to look over this thread when I have time. My hope is to come up with something that feels like it seamlessly works together, rather than being forced.

Thanks, everyone!
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:22 pm

willpell wrote:*snip*
(What I'm about to say may tengent a bit too much, and if it does, we can always start a different thread elsewhere)

That's certainly one viewpoint, but it's not the only one. Firstly, genres are not well-defined by any means and often borrow or merge elements from other genres, adapting and evolving as they go. There was a good panel at GenCon last year discussing how the concept of genres was introduced by publishers and book stores so they knew how to better market books to customers. Tropes make for a much better analysis of the fundamental building blocks of what we consider genres.

Fantasy does not always disregard the process by which magic works (see absolutely any Brandon Sanderson magic system) nor always fail to explore the repercussions of adding a fantastical element to society (see Watchmen or many works of urban fantasy). Fantasy can refuse to explain or explore the inner workings of a setting and assume that everything seen is accepted, but so can science fiction. Space Operas rarely take the time to delve into the details, glossing over such pedantry to instead focus on the adventure in the moment. Star Wars, itself, is widely regarded as a space opera that many consider to be more fantasy than science fiction to begin with. Do we care what exactly a lightsaber is or does? Why did everyone balk at Lucas including the midichlorians in Episode 1? Because it removed the mysticism of The Force. If Star Wars is science fiction, then is it a thought experiment? Or is it fantasy myth? It's a good vs. evil struggle that utilizes the Hero's Journey to great effect. To pigeonhole it and drive such a large wedge between science fiction and fantasy ignores many of the similarities between the two genres/mega-genres/proto-genres.

The same can be said for any number of genres. Horror can encompass a wide range of other genres, acting more of a template overlay. Aliens is a military science fiction horror movie, while the original Alien is a science fiction horror movie (mostly survival horror), without the military aspect. But more than that, science fantasy exists. And I'd like to point to Jack Vance's Dying Earth series. It's the reason that D&D's vancian magic system was developed. It's set during a point in time where the Earth is dying and magic has asserted itself again. Magic is actually described as something that was developed through mathematics and an advanced understanding of science. Clarke's Third Law is pretty applicable here. The story is primarily about the adventures of individuals living in this world, but it explores the setting through a very science fiction lens. And let's discuss Shadowrun for a moment. Cyberpunk and fantasy together there. Shadowrun makes a point of calling out the societal impact of The Awakening. The whole changed drastically when magic was reintroduced and many people were forever altered. The clash between magic and technology, and the surprising compatibility between the two, is a staple of the setting. It's not about individual people, but rather about how magic has changed the world.

Be careful when defining genres too rigidly. It's the story that's important and any genre can facilitate any story if written well.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:43 am

enderxenocide0 wrote:(What I'm about to say may tengent a bit too much, and if it does, we can always start a different thread elsewhere)
Done.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:37 pm

willpell wrote:
No.
Yes. Look at Dragonstar, I think that is a prime example of science fantasy for D&D done right.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:58 am

My old group has done crossovers in AD&D 1e over 20 years ago. I'm sure I still have hybrid Force Power/Psionic rules kicking around somewhere. That's kind of why I haven't said much. It's hard to think of a reply to a wall of text saying "No you can't" when you already did it decades ago. :mrgreen: I still hang out with one of the friends from the old group and we still play... the same campaign. I have managed to get him to warm to the idea of playing 5e and I will probably use my hybrid Star Trek/Wars Galaxy with some D&D added. We'll probably start in Sigil and I have this massive metaplot based on the anime Noein which I have been getting him to watch. My friend is not an anime fan so I take some pride in the fact I've got my 54 year old friend to watch 20 episodes so far. Now if I could just find a solution to his lack of internet issue, I could fire up Netflix and get him to start watching Clone Wars.

Sorry if I don't worry about things like "genre" or neat little boxes for sci-fi and fantasy which can never meet. We went down that rabbit hole back in the 80s with one of my first games in the group having Xenomorphs as enemies (can you tell it was '86? :D). Making weird crossovers work with D&D (we're talking everything from Ghostbusters to the Beverly Hillbillies) is basically the entire premise of our 30 year long campaign. In fact, it's so entrenched that when playing with the old group it's kind of hard to conceive of something otherwise.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:40 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Yes. Look at Dragonstar, I think that is a prime example of science fantasy for D&D done right.
Love me some Dragonstar. Tell me, if my goal is to have a sci-fi D&D, would Dragonstar be the better option?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:33 am

willpell wrote: A milieu is defined as much by what it lacks as by what it has. Putting guns, laser or otherwise, into a fantasy scenario utterly changes its feel, in a way that I regard as "ruining it".
Well... Dave Arneson did it in Blackmoor (Temple of Toad, City of Gods, etc.) and you can still find "L-shaped wands" (i.e. laserguns) and similar in various Mystara Gazzetteers. all stuff that for many people is super-classic D&D fantasy scenario.
I guess it depends on how you introduce this stuff in a game and how you manage to keep a balanced approach that still makes sense.
Not always easy, I agree.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:53 pm

This thread inspired me to create this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15525
(FYI... Babylon 5 not Star Wars)
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 am

Knightfall wrote:This thread inspired me to create this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15525
(FYI... Babylon 5 not Star Wars)
Yeah the thread did inspire me to work on my Trek/Wars and now D&D Galaxy.

Otto Harkaman
Orc

Post by Otto Harkaman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:06 am

The TSR Buck Rogers XXVC game does a good job putting D&D into a Space Opera setting.
draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Return to “Star Wars”