Bill Slavicsek's Star Wars: Definining A Galaxy

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Bill Slavicsek's Star Wars: Definining A Galaxy

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:37 pm

Bill Slavicsek, designer of WEG's D6 Star Wars RPG has written a book called Star Wars: Definining A Galaxy.

It retells his experiences with creating the Star Wars RPG and how he was allowed to flesh out the Star Wars Galaxy, in many ways having the RPG lore make its way into comics, novels and movies.

You can read a review here:

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Sta ... 183835.asp?

Buy it on Amazon here: Defining a Galaxy: 30 Years in a Galaxy Far, Far Away
It Was a Dark Time for the Galaxy
In the late 1980s, Star Wars was becoming a fading memory. The movie trilogy had concluded. The comic books and novels were winding down. The action figures had run their course. As the franchise celebrated its tenth anniversary, there was a new ride at Disneyland and … not much else. Not until a small hobby game company released Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game and The Star Wars Sourcebook. And suddenly the galaxy began to expand. This is the story of how a group of dedicated fans and gaming professionals helped pave the way for the Star Wars Expanded Universe — as told by one of the original architects! This book explains how material created for roleplaying games helped shape the Star Wars universe — and continues to influence it to the current day.

I think this could be of great interest to fans of the RPG? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Bill Slavicsek's Star Wars: Definining A Galaxy

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Looks like you can get it at a lower price from DrivethruRPG.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:25 am

Havard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 pm
Looks like you can get it at a lower price from DrivethruRPG.
The Amazon link says it's published by CreateSpace, so Bill Slavicsek must have self-published this book on CreateSpace and DriveThru to get access to both their Print on Demand options.

That wouldn't have happened a few years back. I would have expected a "proper" publisher to be putting this out, but we live in interesting times and a lot of RPG designers have "multiclassed" in publisher, so that they can crank out products that they believe in.

Given the Star Wars connection, I'll be interested to see if this stays a cult PoD book or if non-RPG fans go crazy over it, down to the fact that it covers the creation of the Extended Universe.

I could easily see this book being reprinted in a full-blown print run and Bill turning up to Star Wars conventions and RPG conventions to sign copies. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Sharkbelly
Bugbear

Post by Sharkbelly » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:52 am

That would be cool.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 am

Havard, would you be willing to repost this at Beggar’s Canyon as well, by any chance? If not, may I? But I would be happier for you to.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:05 am

I only knew Bill’s work from Council of Wryms and I’m constantly surprised at where his name shows up. Star Wars fans can probably say more about this, but I hear the Star Wars RPG actually defined much of the lore. Given the deep themes embedded and adventure hooks in Council of Wryms I suppose it’s logical that Bill kept world building in future projects.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Falconer wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 am
Havard, would you be willing to repost this at Beggar’s Canyon as well, by any chance? If not, may I? But I would be happier for you to.
Done.

Thanks for suggesting it :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:13 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:05 am
I only knew Bill’s work from Council of Wryms and I’m constantly surprised at where his name shows up. Star Wars fans can probably say more about this, but I hear the Star Wars RPG actually defined much of the lore. Given the deep themes embedded and adventure hooks in Council of Wryms I suppose it’s logical that Bill kept world building in future projects.
From what Scott Palter (President of WEG at the time) has told me, they were given very much creative freedom by Lucasarts. And when they started launching Star Wars novels again in 1991, Timothy Zahn used the RPG books from WEG to familiarize himself with details of the universe. Even just with the core book, Bill Slavicsek helped define things like how The Force worked. Concepts like being Force Sensitive became a thing. I'm guessing details on how Hyperspace works ("Astrogation") and types of droids being pinned down could have been his work. Later books (not by Slavicsek) like the Alien Guides were allowed to name alien home planets which then found their way into EU "canon".

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Wed May 01, 2019 12:06 am

Havard wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:13 pm
From what Scott Palter (President of WEG at the time) has told me, they were given very much creative freedom by Lucasarts. And when they started launching Star Wars novels again in 1991, Timothy Zahn used the RPG books from WEG to familiarize himself with details of the universe. Even just with the core book, Bill Slavicsek helped define things like how The Force worked. Concepts like being Force Sensitive became a thing. I'm guessing details on how Hyperspace works ("Astrogation") and types of droids being pinned down could have been his work. Later books (not by Slavicsek) like the Alien Guides were allowed to name alien home planets which then found their way into EU "canon".

-Havard
A similar thing happened with Larry Niven’s Known space. When he opened up the setting to allow other authors to contribute to the “Man-Kzin Wars” series of anthologies Larry would send contributors a copy of the Ringworld game as a guide to the canon.

P.s. I hate many of the new ideas raised in the Man-Kzin wars stories and don’t personally regard these as canon, so there is that.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Return to “Star Wars”