Does Star Wars offer a community use policy?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Does Star Wars offer a community use policy?

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:56 am

There are tons of fan sites and productions that use the Star Wars IP. Is anyone familiar with a community use policy that spells out what fans are allowed to use and under what circumstances? I did a search for one, and only found the Community page on the site, which links to lots of fan projects, but doesn't offer the policy.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Does Star Wars offer a community use policy?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:24 pm

That's going to be a tough one, as you are dealing with a licensed IP that has a third party doing the RPG material.

West End Games, Wizards of the Coast and Fantasy Flight Games do not own Star Wars, so they can not issue a fan-licence. And Disney (and before them Lucasfilm) does not own the RPG systems, so they can't either.

I know there was no SRD for the d20 Star Wars games. But d20 Modern and d20 Future might be broadly compatible with that game.

I do know that someone made some sort of open gaming version of the d6 System (from the original Star Wars books).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:24 pm
That's going to be a tough one, as you are dealing with a licensed IP that has a third party doing the RPG material.
I suspect such a thing doesn't exist, but figured it didn't hurt to reach out to the community and ask. In this case, I'm not likely going to find anything in the RPG space, but thought Lucasfilm just might have offered an official fan policy, as it's been so big on allowing fans to celebrate all things Star Wars for so many years. So I'm seeking a more general community use policy for Star Wars that essentially says, "You can use Star Wars IP as long as it isn't a commercial product and portrays Star Wars in a positive light." It wouldn't need to specifically mention RPGs, as long as it didn't exclude them.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:26 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:24 pm
I suspect such a thing doesn't exist, but figured it didn't hurt to reach out to the community and ask. In this case, I'm not likely going to find anything in the RPG space, but thought Lucasfilm just might have offered an official fan policy, as it's been so big on allowing fans to celebrate all things Star Wars for so many years. So I'm seeking a more general community use policy for Star Wars that essentially says, "You can use Star Wars IP as long as it isn't a commercial product and portrays Star Wars in a positive light." It wouldn't need to specifically mention RPGs, as long as it didn't exclude them.
That's the general sort of thing that people do with fansites (that are written without specific permission) anyway.

One resource to look at is Wookieepedia, which is the eighth largest wiki in the world. I've not found a mention of a Lucasfilm policy there, but Lucasfilm obviously knows they exist. According to the Wikipedia article about Wookiepeedia, some of the newer Star Wars actors have used Wookieepedia articles to check on the history of the character they have played.

I think that a tabletop RPG fan could easily work with a combination of Wookieepedia articles and the RPG books in order to create new fan content. I can't see a community use policy for this, so it would be under "fair use conditions".

Roleplaying games require people to create derivative material, so any company that sells or licences a RPG knows that people are going to be making their own content. And there are plenty of people out there making Star Wars content, so you can get a good idea of the sort of good-will fair use behaviour that fansites have, even if you can't find a policy pushed out by Lucasfilm.

(As for the rules, that free d6 game, that had the Star Wars IP pulled out and d20 Future are close to the West End Games and WotC rules for Star Wars.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:03 am

I think that this is a good idea: this is Wokieepedia copiright policy https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Wookie ... Copyrights that I think explains well how you can legally produce derivative work from their content.
You can well make sure that anything you do is a derivative of Wokieepedia content (and the RPG ruleset that you chose to implement), following their guidelines on derivative productions.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Star Wars”