[5E] Midgard Heroes Handbook

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[5E] Midgard Heroes Handbook

Post by Havard »

I just picked up this book. I really like it! Lots of new options for players. Perhaps too many options, but there are some real solid races in there and also some interesting subclasses.

Anyone else have this book? I am curious to hear your opinions.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [5E] Midgard Heroes Handbook

Post by Tim Baker »

I like this book as well. It offers several flavorful options that fit well with the setting. As a playtester for various Kobold Press products, I often rely on this book to build pre-gens to test new player options, monsters, or adventures, so it's seen a lot of use at my table.

And as a GM who run Midgard campaigns using 13th Age, there are some good ideas in the book that I've used for 13th Age PC options, too.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 pm
I just picked up this book. I really like it! Lots of new options for players. Perhaps too many options, but there are some real solid races in there and also some interesting subclasses.
I don't have this book.

You say there are lots of new options.

I checked the preview on DriveThru RPG and it looks like there are 17 racial options, a varying amount of options for character classes*, new feats, backgrounds and spellcasting rules. Is this stuff all applied across the entire campaign setting or are specific races, class options, domains or arcane traditions nailed down to specific regional, religious or racial groups or organisations?

* = I see different amounts of stuff from one barbarian option to six fighter options. I also see lots of different domains for clerics and other options for wizards.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 am
Is this stuff all applied across the entire campaign setting or are specific races, class options, domains or arcane traditions nailed down to specific regional, religious or racial groups or organisations?
The options are spread out quite a bit, although Zobeck, which serves as the setting's focal point, is cosmopolitan enough that you can find PCs with just about any Midgard options.

To give a sense of what I mean:
  • Bearfolk are typically from the Northlands or from the Realm of Shadow.
  • Centaurs are from the steppes of the Rothenian Plain.
  • Dhampirs probably come from the vampire baronies of Morgau.
  • Dwarves are from the Northlands, the Cantons, or the Egypt-themed city of Nuria Natal.
  • Elves are from the Arbonese Forest, the last enclaves of the elves, most of whom left Midgard.
  • Gearforged originated in Zobeck.
  • Gnolls are often found in the Southlands, which are inspired by African and Middle Eastern myths.
  • Gnomes are from Niemheim, where they're hidden from Baba Yaga thanks to their pact with devils.
  • Kobolds have warrens in (and under) the slums of Zobeck. But they're first-class citizens in the Dragon Empire to the south.
  • Minotaurs are generally from the Italy-inspired Seven Cities.
A GM has lots of options in Midgard, choosing to focus on one portion of the impressively large map, or allowing the adventure to take the party across the world (or even the planes). Depending on the tone that the group wants, limiting options based on a certain geographical area is possible. Or if the table welcomes all character types, then the sky's the limit, and they can figure out sufficient motivations for these disparate PCs to work together (icon relationships do a really great job at that, and Midgard has an official set of icons for use with 13th Age).

genghisdon
Ogre

Post by genghisdon »

Havard wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Anyone else have this book? I am curious to hear your opinions.

-Havard
I like it quite a lot, although I've used it mostly for other settings thus far. It's loaded with good stuff, as I now would say is typical for Kobold Press books

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

genghisdon wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:27 am
I like it quite a lot, although I've used it mostly for other settings thus far. It's loaded with good stuff, as I now would say is typical for Kobold Press books
I do the same thing. :) Even when I'm running an adventure in, say, the default 13th Age setting, I'll suddenly have the PCs come across a ravenfolk NPC or a practitioner of void magic or reveal that the gods may actually be wearing masks. It's like a dusting of Midgard on my fantasy world.

Return to “Midgard”