First Duke-Admiral icon for 13th Age

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

First Duke-Admiral icon for 13th Age

Post by Tim Baker »

The latest Midgard Icon is up on the Kobold Press site. Have you included Midgard icons in your games?
https://koboldpress.com/midgard-icons-t ... e-admiral/

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: First Duke-Admiral icon for 13th Age

Post by Big Mac »

The core 13th Age stuff is kind of not nailed down (so a GM can turn icons into anything) but Midgard goes all the way back to the 3rd Edition Era.

Has Cadua, the First Duke-Admiral of Triolo featured in any previous Midgard material?

Has The Golden Council been used in any previous material?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 am
The core 13th Age stuff is kind of not nailed down (so a GM can turn icons into anything) but Midgard goes all the way back to the 3rd Edition Era.

Has Cadua, the First Duke-Admiral of Triolo featured in any previous Midgard material?

That's a great question. I know Cadua goes back to at least the Midgard Campaign Setting for Pathfinder (2012). I believe the Golden Council is in there, too. I'll need to take a look later to see if I can find any early references.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

As far as I can recall, the First Duke-Admiral was opened to patrons for competitive submission and anonymous voting during the Midgard CS project. Cadua was the winning entry by patrons, second place became the elderly semi-retired former Duke Admiral Andreos Galatino, to provide support for Cadua who was an unknown factor to Triolo at the time. Commander Raniero Daliato may have been third place and made a military leader.

A similar process was opened for the Bibliotori of Friula, the Emperor of Valera, and most of the other Seven Cities. With the exception of Kyprion (probably, but don't quite remember) and Kammae Straboli (definitely) because Wolfgang already had material written up on them, plus they are major establishing pieces for the region tonally.

When ever possible, the runner ups were also mentioned in the write up, naturally giving more interesting NPCs and twists for the area.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Isuru wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:45 pm
As far as I can recall, the First Duke-Admiral was opened to patrons for competitive submission and anonymous voting during the Midgard CS project. Cadua was the winning entry by patrons, second place became the elderly semi-retired former Duke Admiral Andreos Galatino, to provide support for Cadua who was an unknown factor to Triolo at the time. Commander Raniero Daliato may have been third place and made a military leader.

A similar process was opened for the Bibliotori of Friula, the Emperor of Valera, and most of the other Seven Cities. With the exception of Kyprion (probably, but don't quite remember) and Kammae Straboli (definitely) because Wolfgang already had material written up on them, plus they are major establishing pieces for the region tonally.

When ever possible, the runner ups were also mentioned in the write up, naturally giving more interesting NPCs and twists for the area.
That's amazing insight! I love it! Thank you for sharing that. :)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 am
Midgard goes all the way back to the 3rd Edition Era.

I looked at the old Kobold Quarterly issues, the 3rd Edition content, and the 4th Edition content, and found no references to Cadua or the Golden Council. The 2012 Midgard Campaign Setting was the first occurrence I found, which is supported by what Isuru recalls, too. The Player's Guide to the Seven Cities has the next reference to the First Duke-Admiral, as it was published in 2013.

Return to “Midgard”