Brilliant East book on the way?

In this dark time, new heroes must arise to claim the crowns of Midgard, and restore the jewels to her scattered thrones...
Isuru
Ogre

Brilliant East book on the way?

Post by Isuru »

Carrying over this discussion from the Kara-Tur subforum to Midgard as the topic change is more relevant here.
Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:33 am
On the topic of fantasy names that draw from East Asian culture, myth, and language, it makes me wonder how Kobold Press is going to handle its upcoming Brilliant East sourcebook for the lands to the east of the Southlands and core Midgard portions of the setting.
This completely flew pass my radar. I didn't think KP were even working on it let alone have a title for it. Do you know who's working on it?

Don't know if it's feasible, but it would be great if it is possible. It seems David "Zeb" Cook has busy writing and developing video game materials over the last decades. If anyone can get him to do even a guest spot it would probably be Wolfgang Baur. They both worked on Green Ronin's early d20 era book of eastern-themed monsters: Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghost (2001). I always felt if Kobold Press did an "eastlands" book, some of the authors would be drawn from the big names there, if available.

It seems from Midgard and Southlands, a lot of naming awkwardness is mitigated by borrowing more from real world names and changing out some elements, leaving the expected framework. Discrepancies are usually due to fantastical elements. It's not perfect, but results end up pretty good.

Ben McFarland has mentioned more than once in discussions I've followed, that perfect is the enemy of good. If everything had to be perfect, we would never get any products.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Brilliant East book on the way?

Post by Tim Baker »

Isuru wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:24 am
This completely flew pass my radar. I didn't think KP were even working on it let alone have a title for it. Do you know who's working on it?
I believe I've seen Marc Radle and Ben McFarlane post about the book. These are generally little hints, such as a photo of a bunch of books on their desks that focus on Indian and Chinese myth, or speaking in hypotheticals. No date for the Kickstarter has been announced. They're focused on getting Deep Magic and Tome of Beasts 2 out the door before they take on another large Kickstarter.
Isuru wrote:
Don't know if it's feasible, but it would be great if it is possible. It seems David "Zeb" Cook has busy writing and developing video game materials over the last decades. If anyone can get him to do even a guest spot it would probably be Wolfgang Baur. They both worked on Green Ronin's early d20 era book of eastern-themed monsters: Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghost (2001). I always felt if Kobold Press did an "eastlands" book, some of the authors would be drawn from the big names there, if available.
That would be a great addition for this book.
Isuru wrote:
It seems from Midgard and Southlands, a lot of naming awkwardness is mitigated by borrowing more from real world names and changing out some elements, leaving the expected framework. Discrepancies are usually due to fantastical elements. It's not perfect, but results end up pretty good.
For the most part, I agree. The exception for me is "Midgard" itself. It's the name of the world, but also tends to be used as the name for the core part of the setting (as opposed to the Northlands or Southlands). What are we supposed to call the continent that's the equivalent of Europe in the setting? Additionally, the name brings with it all these assumptions about a Norse setting. While the Northlands draw heavily from Norse myth, the majority of the setting is inspired by other real-world myths, plus a splash of unique additions. I've had to explain to countless new players that we're not playing in a setting that focuses on Vikings or on the Thor of Marvel Comics or the MCU. It's a relatively minor gripe, but since you were talking about their naming, I thought I'd mention it.
Isuru wrote:
Ben McFarland has mentioned more than once in discussions I've followed, that perfect is the enemy of good. If everything had to be perfect, we would never get any products.
We use this saying frequently at my job. I'm totally on board with this.

BrianSuskind
Kobold

Post by BrianSuskind »

While I can’t confirm or deny anything...It is possible that a project is being worked on by the same team that brought you the Southlands (McFarland & Suskind), plus some other designers new and old. This theoretical project would make use of tons of research material and careful consideration by various cultural readers. The project if it exists at all would no doubt include maps by the amazing Anna Meyers.....if it exists....

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

BrianSuskind wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:57 pm
While I can’t confirm or deny anything...It is possible that a project is being worked on by the same team that brought you the Southlands (McFarland & Suskind), plus some other designers new and old. This theoretical project would make use of tons of research material and careful consideration by various cultural readers. The project if it exists at all would no doubt include maps by the amazing Anna Meyers.....if it exists....
;) :lol:

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

shesheyan wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm
BrianSuskind wrote:
;) :lol:
;) Indeed!

Since it cannot be confirmed or denied, it must surely not exist...
Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:14 am
For the most part, I agree. The exception for me is "Midgard" itself. It's the name of the world, but also tends to be used as the name for the core part of the setting (as opposed to the Northlands or Southlands). What are we supposed to call the continent that's the equivalent of Europe in the setting? Additionally, the name brings with it all these assumptions about a Norse setting. While the Northlands draw heavily from Norse myth, the majority of the setting is inspired by other real-world myths, plus a splash of unique additions. I've had to explain to countless new players that we're not playing in a setting that focuses on Vikings or on the Thor of Marvel Comics or the MCU. It's a relatively minor gripe, but since you were talking about their naming, I thought I'd mention it.
Following the pattern of continent and subcontinent names, the core setting is probably just called "Midlands" if the people living there have to refer to it at all, which probably still defaults to "Midgard" in everyday use.

Keep seeing on gaming boards about GMs having to show newer players that Norse-influenced materials are not some off-brand version of Marvel's Thor. This is will probably be an ongoing issue for some time.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

BrianSuskind wrote:
While I can’t confirm or deny anything...It is possible that a project is being worked on by the same team that brought you the Southlands (McFarland & Suskind), plus some other designers new and old.
Thanks for hopping over here to share that, Brian. I'm so sorry to have left your name off my list of folks I'd seen hypothetically talking about such a project, above. That wasn't intentional.
BrianSuskind wrote:
This theoretical project would make use of tons of research material and careful consideration by various cultural readers. The project if it exists at all would no doubt include maps by the amazing Anna Meyers.....if it exists....
That sounds fantastic! So looking forward to such a project...should one ever materialize.

By the way, I noticed that this was your first post in several years. You might want to drop by the Introduce yourself here thread to share some information about yourself. You can also create a small signature that will appear at the bottom of each post. That way, each time someone reads a post from you, they'll see your latest project or a link to the products you've contributed to. And finally, if you'll add a comment to the Celebrities at The Piazza thread, one of the admins can add you to the main post.

Hope to hear more from you in the future!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Isuru wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:50 pm
Following the pattern of continent and subcontinent names, the core setting is probably just called "Midlands" if the people living there have to refer to it at all, which probably still defaults to "Midgard" in everyday use.
Brian Suskind confirmed on Facebook that "Midlands" is the correct term.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Midlands it is then.

After looking at it, I have no interest in Midgard itself. It's not the Viking Lands source book I was looking for. Also, I already have my home-brew Fantasy European-like portion designed and mapped out. On the other hand the South and East books could prove very useful to me as I continue to expand my world.

ben_mcfarland
Orc

Post by ben_mcfarland »

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:12 pm
It's not the Viking Lands source book I was looking for.
The Kobold Press PFRPG supplement, Northlands, might be more of what you're looking for in that regard. It's pretty good, but I'm biased.

It's probably a 65/35% split of setting versus mechanics, so it might be useful regardless of the system you're running.

-Ben.
Ben McFarland
Progressio sine timore aut praejudicia - Spectemur agendo - Sub Rosa, the Ars Magica Fanzine, find us on Facebook

ben_mcfarland
Orc

Post by ben_mcfarland »

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:29 am
Brian Suskind confirmed on Facebook that "Midlands" is the correct term.
And seconded.

-Ben.
Ben McFarland
Progressio sine timore aut praejudicia - Spectemur agendo - Sub Rosa, the Ars Magica Fanzine, find us on Facebook

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

ben_mcfarland wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:27 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:12 pm
It's not the Viking Lands source book I was looking for.
The Kobold Press PFRPG supplement, Northlands, might be more of what you're looking for in that regard. It's pretty good, but I'm biased.

It's probably a 65/35% split of setting versus mechanics, so it might be useful regardless of the system you're running.

-Ben.
Thanks! Specifically I'm looking for D&D 5e versions of the books.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BrianSuskind wrote:
Kobold Press said this is not happening:
Kobold Press on Facebook wrote:That is correct. It is a rumor and a dream and maybe someday it could be a thing.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:49 pm
BrianSuskind wrote:
Kobold Press said this is not happening:
Kobold Press on Facebook wrote:That is correct. It is a rumor and a dream and maybe someday it could be a thing.
My 2020 gaming budget is spent any way... :lol: ;)
Last edited by shesheyan on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

Probably a distant goal due to the number of project irons already in the fire.
The only real mention of a Brilliant East I found was on 1d4chan, "and the upcoming Brilliant East...": https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Midgard
I checked before starting this thread and that was the only hit on search result. I thought it had been announced or strongly hinted somewhere I couldn't find. Not sure where they got the name from.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Isuru wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:25 am
Probably a distant goal due to the number of project irons already in the fire.
The only real mention of a Brilliant East I found was on 1d4chan, "and the upcoming Brilliant East...": https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Midgard
I checked before starting this thread and that was the only hit on search result. I thought it had been announced or strongly hinted somewhere I couldn't find. Not sure where they got the name from.
I'm not sure if search engines pick up discussions on social media groups, such as Facebook. I'm pretty sure that's where the name has been mentioned.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

That might explain it. The search engine bots may only have partial success with social media posts. That said, I had no problem finding posts about some gaming topics of interest on FB and Twitter. Time, age of site/account, and backlinks probably also play a huge role as the bots have to skim through the vast ocean of posts. The Piazza for instance tends to show on searches pretty quick. As we can see here on the Piazza, there's a constant Google(Bot) and Bing(Bot) cataloguing the posts. These forums have well over a decade of history and activity and there are plenty of links and backlinks. Any topics on gaming and game settings ranks decently, especially more niche topics that only get a mention once in a blue moon.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Isuru wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:59 pm
The Piazza for instance tends to show on searches pretty quick. As we can see here on the Piazza, there's a constant Google(Bot) and Bing(Bot) cataloguing the posts. These forums have well over a decade of history and activity and there are plenty of links and backlinks. Any topics on gaming and game settings ranks decently, especially more niche topics that only get a mention once in a blue moon.
Yep, it's one of the things I like about communicating via forums. They might be "old fashioned," but there are still advantages to discoverability and search accuracy.

ben_mcfarland
Orc

Post by ben_mcfarland »

I may have spent two years working on ...something.

Just saying.

-Ben.
Ben McFarland

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

ben_mcfarland wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:02 pm
I may have spent two years working on ...something.
I have no doubt it's going to be incredible! If it were to ever come to being, of course.

Return to “Midgard”