[Lankhmar] Dragonswords of Lankhmar

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Lankhmar] Dragonswords of Lankhmar

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 12, 2013 11:35 pm

I've just heard of a product line that TSR put out called a "1 on 1 adventure" which apparently used two books gamebooks that allow two players to compete against each other in the same adventure. I'm guessing these books might have been similar to Endless Quest.

Anyhoo, one of these 1 on 1 adventures was called Dragonswords of Lankmar and one player got to use the You Are Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser book, while the other player got to use the You Are Thieves' Guild Assassins book.
ImageImageImage

There are 158 pages in each of the two books, so that has got to be a lot of content.

Here is the back cover blurb:
Dragonswords of Lankhmar wrote:A New Kind of Game
Inside are two books for two players. One of you becomes the famous pair of thieves, FAFHRD and the GRAY MOUSER. The other takes the part of members of the Thieves' Guild. Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are in search of the fabled Dragonsword. The Thieves' Guild is in search of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, trying to put an end to their "unauthorized" thieving activities!

Enter the famous city of Lankhmar where wealth, beautiful women, and danger await you on every corner. The Gods of Trouble and Death have an intense interest in your quest! (Your opponent takes the part of all monsters and enemies you fight, just as you take the part of any enemies he faces!) An easy, dice-less combat system simulates battle.

In is an exciting game of thievery, assassination, and adventure as you roam the streets of Lankhmar. Everything you need to play is provided: two books, magic spells, Combat Table, Character Sheets. No dice required. All you provide is one friend and two pencils.
Has anyone got this? Do you think it would be possible to deconstruct the story/stories or encounters and turn this into a tabletop plot?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Re: [Lankhmar] Dragonswords of Lankhmar

Post by NPCDave » Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Big Mac wrote: I'm guessing these books might have been similar to Endless Quest.
It is more a combination of Endless Quest, Lost Worlds combat booklets, and a mix of AD&D rules to resolve combat.
Big Mac wrote: Anyhoo, one of these 1 on 1 adventures was called Dragonswords of Lankmar and one player got to use the You Are Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser book, while the other player got to use the You Are Thieves' Guild Assassins book.
ImageImageImage

Has anyone got this? Do you think it would be possible to deconstruct the story/stories or encounters and turn this into a tabletop plot?
Yes...and probably.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon May 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Cool,
I had never heard of these. Its interesting to see how many forms of gaming TSR experimented with.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 15, 2013 11:50 pm

NPCDave wrote:
Big Mac wrote: I'm guessing these books might have been similar to Endless Quest.
It is more a combination of Endless Quest, Lost Worlds combat booklets, and a mix of AD&D rules to resolve combat.
I don't know what Lost Worlds is, but if there is a mix of AD&D rules in the combat resolution, that is promising, because it means it might be possible to convert the 1 on 1 Adventure Gamebooks to D&D stats. :)
NPCDave wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Anyhoo, one of these 1 on 1 adventures was called Dragonswords of Lankmar and one player got to use the You Are Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser book, while the other player got to use the You Are Thieves' Guild Assassins book.
ImageImageImage

Yes...and probably.
Thanks I might keep an eye out for these.
Havard wrote:I had never heard of these. Its interesting to see how many forms of gaming TSR experimented with.
Me neither. You will probably want to check out the entire line of 1 on 1 Adventure Gamebooks. Some are non-fantasy, and one is Dragonlance, but the others are non-specified fantasy products, that you may be able to connect to Mystara.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu May 16, 2013 1:34 am

Big Mac wrote: You will probably want to check out the entire line of 1 on 1 Adventure Gamebooks. Some are non-fantasy, and one is Dragonlance, but the others are non-specified fantasy products, that you may be able to connect to Mystara.
I own seven in that list, #1 and #3-8. If you guys ever get some of these let's start a "Let's Play" thread and take each other on one-on-one.

Warlords is set in Kara-Tur I believe, but the rest are generic fantasy, other than the DL one.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 am

NPCDave wrote:Warlords is set in Kara-Tur I believe, but the rest are generic fantasy, other than the DL one.
You are right. I've set up a thread about Warlords in the Kara-Tur forum.

Return to “Lankhmar”