[Lankhmar] How much did Gygax borrow from Lankhmar?

Newhon's City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, based on the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber.
The Book-House: Find Lankhmar products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Lankhmar] How much did Gygax borrow from Lankhmar?

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:06 pm

I don't know all the details, but from what I understand, Gary Gygax was both a fan and friend of Fritz Leiber and Gary has named Leiber's work as an important influence on D&D. So my question is, how much of Lankhmar can be found in the core material of D&D/AD&D?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Re: [Lankhmar] How much did Gygax borrow from Lankhmar?

Post by The Dark » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:11 am

The Free City of Greyhawk basically is Lankhmar, an individual city near powerful nations. There are some ideas that cross over - an all-powerful Thieves' Guild, barbarians living in the snow. "Two Sought Adventure" (aka "The Jewels in the Forest") is one of the purest instances of two PCs outwitting a killer DM. It is moderately gritty, but the characters keep a sense of humor (sometimes black humor) about things, without going to the absurdity or satire of Xanth or Discworld. There was also some "Rule of Cool" in the stories where practical reality was overridden if it made the narrative more awesome, like when Fafhrd straps fireworks to his skis to make an impossible jump. Thieves reading spell scrolls (and the potential for backfire) come straight from one of the Lankhmar stories.

Avoid Slade's Lankhmar modules, though - they don't fit the tone at all.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:06 pm

How easy is it to reverse-engineer Free City of Greyhawk stuff to extract the Greyhawk elements and replace them with Lankhmar ones?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

DMMike
Orc

Post by DMMike » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:05 pm

Havard wrote:I don't know all the details, but from what I understand, Gary Gygax was both a fan and friend of Fritz Leiber and Gary has named Leiber's work as an important influence on D&D. So my question is, how much of Lankhmar can be found in the core material of D&D/AD&D?

-Havard
A better comparison is Judges Guild's City State of the Invincible Overlord, especially the 1970s version. The very name Invincible Overlord is directly from the IO of Lankhmar.

Wheras the City State of the World Emperor is closer to Melnibone. ;)

mike

Return to “Lankhmar”