Does anyone use Kara Tur?

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Re: Does anyone use Kara Tur?

Post by Philosopher » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 pm

waylander39 wrote:Incidentally the Complete Warrior has the samurai class and kensai prestige class, and I think complete scoundrel or adventurer has the ninja class.
Yes, but they're not the same as the ones found in OA. The CW kensai is pretty interesting, so is worth looking at. OA only has a prestige class for the ninja, so the CA ninja could be a good addition to your game. The CW samurai, however, isn't very good, unless it just happens to match exactly the type of samurai you want. The OA samurai allows for much more flexibility.
- Selman

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Yeah I was aware they weren't the same :) but I felt that it would be useful to know those classes are out there. As you say, they could prove useful as counterpoints or variations on the classes presented in OA.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:47 pm

waylander39 wrote:Yeah I was aware they weren't the same :) but I felt that it would be useful to know those classes are out there. As you say, they could prove useful as counterpoints or variations on the classes presented in OA.
Absolutely, but I felt that the differences were worth mentioning. Even if you have the Complete series of books and all you want is some classes with Oriental flavor, the OA book is still worth looking at. Just for the sake of completeness. :)
- Selman

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:55 pm

Regarding the business of ki in 3rd ed, it is still there, and is used by a variety of classes and prestige classes as special abilities linked to the class. I've finally had a chance to have a good look through the character section of my 3rd ed OA, so rest assured, Big Mac 3rd ed OA has what you're looking for. Incidentally, Big Mac I take it you're looking for background info on Shou Lung and the other spacefaring nations of Kara Tur for your Spelljammer game?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 pm

waylander39 wrote:The 1st ed OA rules are easily convertable across to 2nd ed as both systems are pretty interchangeable. There were some 2nd ed kits developed for OA use, you'llfind the samurai in the Complete Fighter's and the Wu jen in the complete Wizard's. There was even an entire book devoted to Ninjas and a Monstrous Compendium devoted to Kara Tur, something I was always a bit confused about as the setting was very much on the back burner in 2nd ed times. You can get the main Kara tur boxed set on drive thru as well and again, probably on paizo as well. Certainly the drivethru one is available for $4.95, so could well be worth a look. Bear in mind that the Kara Tur boxed set was written with 1st ed in mind, but it fortunately doesn't have a lot of rules in it, primarily it's a background resource.
FYI: Paizo downloads are nearly $1.00 cheaper than DriveThru and RPGNow downloads.

Just be careful, because Paizo (and the others) have no problem selling you things that you can download for free from WotC. So check the WotC website before buying any ESD PDFs.
waylander39 wrote:OA 3rd ed is also available as a pdf but is quite expensive. If you can track down a print copy do so, you may well get it cheaper through e-bay. OA 3rd ed has info on pretty much what you would expect: Races, classes, prestige classes, feats and skills, equipment, martial arts, monsters, spells and campaign design. There are also several chapters dedicated to Rokugan, which may or may not be useful for your own campaign. I personally don't think there'll be a problem with 3rd ed Kara Tur as such. 3rd ed OA provides the bulk of the stuff you'll need and the ki powers, while important within the classes could easily be replaced by feats or Special abilities duplicating thier abilities. Incidentally the Complete Warrior has the samurai class and kensai prestige class, and I think complete scoundrel or adventurer has the ninja class.
Thanks for the heads-up.
waylander39 wrote:Regarding the business of ki in 3rd ed, it is still there, and is used by a variety of classes and prestige classes as special abilities linked to the class. I've finally had a chance to have a good look through the character section of my 3rd ed OA, so rest assured, Big Mac 3rd ed OA has what you're looking for. Incidentally, Big Mac I take it you're looking for background info on Shou Lung and the other spacefaring nations of Kara Tur for your Spelljammer game?
Thanks for this. I'll put this back onto my shopping list.

I do mostly want this to sort out the Shou Lung stuff for Spelljammer. The main thing I want to sort out is the way that Shou Lung divine magic could work. I know there is a lot of Ki going on, but think they have gods too.

But would like to have this stuff for the Kara-Tur area of Toril too. I can see myself using it for a FRCS character. I might even play an Oriental Adventures game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Well i'm glad I could be of help. Good luck with integrating OA and Kara Tur into your game. Please let us know how you get on. I for one would be very interested to see how you get on.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:30 pm

It is going to be a long time before I actually get to do anything with this.

I've been buying up 3rd edition products and am going to have a mountain of things on my reading list, but I would love to talk about Kara-Tur when I've (bought it and) had a chance to read through it.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

wtrmute
Goblin

Post by wtrmute » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:24 pm

I bought OA3e back in the day (2001?), because I wanted to run a Kara Tur campaign. I was a bit keelhauled by the change in the book. The weirdest thing in it, though, is that it gave us stats for all the old races and classes: hengeyokai, vanara, spirit folk, korobokuru, shaman (AKA shugenja in 1e), kensai, etc... and then doesn't give you an opportunity to use all of that material in the official setting.

On the flip side, if you get the 1e material for the fluff, the conversion of the crunch is all done in OA3e (well, I suppose you'd have to update it to 3.5). It would have been a useful book if only I had the OA1e boxed set...

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:54 pm

wtrmute wrote:On the flip side, if you get the 1e material for the fluff, the conversion of the crunch is all done in OA3e (well, I suppose you'd have to update it to 3.5).
FWIW, Dragon #318 had a 3.5 update of OA. It wasn't complete, but it had the basics.
- Selman

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Philosopher wrote:
wtrmute wrote:On the flip side, if you get the 1e material for the fluff, the conversion of the crunch is all done in OA3e (well, I suppose you'd have to update it to 3.5).
FWIW, Dragon #318 had a 3.5 update of OA. It wasn't complete, but it had the basics.
Thanks for all of this information.

I didn't realise that so much of the stuff needed to play a Kara-Tur game was included in the new OA product before. I think maybe we should compile some sort of advice for 3rd edition gamers wanting to play with Kara-Tur, because WotC don't really explain this very well. (I'm still trying to work out if OA + old school Kara Tur gives me a 3rd edition Kara-Tur or if further conversions are required. I know there are a few missing monsters, as I've seen the to do list that the Creature Catalogue team, over at ENWorld, have.)

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 am

I cast Thread Necromancy!

I have played in OA2 Night of the Seven Swords. I have all of the OA and FROA modules. I have the Kara-Tur boxed set, and the 1e and 3e OA books. While I found ideas in all of these that I liked, the setting as a whole never captured me.

I got into Legend of the Five Rings for a bit. Cool visuals for sure, and a rich history. But in a way, it's too much for me to keep up with. And as it turned out, it was a horrible place for a full-fledged OA game. It's not heroic in the slightest. It's all about service to your clan and empire, and saving face. Sorry, but I need heroic action.

As you guys can tell by recent threads, I'm fairly excited by the Dragon Empires products from Paizo. This is the OA I've been looking for, I think.

What's the difference? I think a lot of it boils down to presentation. Kara-Tur is basically the Realm's answer to real-world Oriental nations. There's Japan, China, and Korea to name a few. I don't get that same vibe from Dragon Empires. I know some of it is due to presentation. Kara-Tur was written a long time ago, when books had B&W interiors. Pathfinder has a lot of color going on. I find, too, that I like the gods better in Dragon Empires.

So right now, I'm of a mind to use Kara-Tur to mine ideas from for Dragon Empires.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:37 am

I agree, and as I think I stated elsewhere, one of the things I like that you mention is that Dragon Empires/Tian-Xia doesn't feel like just a Golarion 'port over of RW cultures. The developers really seem to have taken a lot of inspiration from RW Asian history and mythology, of many different cultures, but used them as a tapestry on which to hang otherwise completely new nations and mythologies. It is how/what I think should have been done- if not with Kara-Tur, per se- but certainly when adding Kara-Tur to the Realms (a similar problem to the nations of Unther and Mulhorand, IMO). The Realms under Greenwood and its initial developers was much more an original (if generic) fantasy setting; when they started to pile on the RW analogues, it was just a bad fit altogether, since it wasn't designed that way.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I cast Thread Necromancy!

I have played in OA2 Night of the Seven Swords. I have all of the OA and FROA modules. I have the Kara-Tur boxed set, and the 1e and 3e OA books. While I found ideas in all of these that I liked, the setting as a whole never captured me.

<snip - Lot5R stuff>

As you guys can tell by recent threads, I'm fairly excited by the Dragon Empires products from Paizo. This is the OA I've been looking for, I think.

What's the difference? I think a lot of it boils down to presentation. Kara-Tur is basically the Realm's answer to real-world Oriental nations. There's Japan, China, and Korea to name a few. I don't get that same vibe from Dragon Empires. I know some of it is due to presentation. Kara-Tur was written a long time ago, when books had B&W interiors. Pathfinder has a lot of color going on. I find, too, that I like the gods better in Dragon Empires.

So right now, I'm of a mind to use Kara-Tur to mine ideas from for Dragon Empires.
...and...
Cthulhudrew wrote:I agree, and as I think I stated elsewhere, one of the things I like that you mention is that Dragon Empires/Tian-Xia doesn't feel like just a Golarion 'port over of RW cultures. The developers really seem to have taken a lot of inspiration from RW Asian history and mythology, of many different cultures, but used them as a tapestry on which to hang otherwise completely new nations and mythologies. It is how/what I think should have been done- if not with Kara-Tur, per se- but certainly when adding Kara-Tur to the Realms (a similar problem to the nations of Unther and Mulhorand, IMO). The Realms under Greenwood and its initial developers was much more an original (if generic) fantasy setting; when they started to pile on the RW analogues, it was just a bad fit altogether, since it wasn't designed that way.
Two great posts, but I think they are wandering away from the original topic.

Dragonhelm has comments about Lot5R mixed in here, but I find the fact that Kara-Tur did not "capture" your interest interesting.

I cast Thread Split! :twisted:

Return to “Kara-Tur”