Just wondering stuff?

Old School Revival at its best?

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Just wondering stuff?

Post by BPIJonathan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 pm

So, this is not really a question about rules specifically, but just some general thoughts and musings.

I own the RC and I have been running games using BECMI/RC for a couple of years now. However, in the reading of my Dark Dungeons I noticed there were skills involved. So, anyone see any issues with allowing my players to add the skills to their characters (as they are veteran 3.x players and are comfortable with the skills)? Even if thats not the case, can anyone think of a reason that I should or shouldnt allow this in play? I bought Dark Dungeons specifically because it emulated the RC and therefore emulated the version of BD&D that I prefer to play/run. Also, what about the conversion of AD&D to Dark Dungeons? Adapting of Spells, kits etc? I was thinking of maybe adapting Spelljammer to it as well. So, any thoughts, even not even related, are welcome here...just trying to settle down with a bit of direction, nothing so far from my warped mind. We have been on a hiatus so there are a lot of things going on on my head right now. I will quit rambling now, thanks for listening.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: Just wondering stuff?

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 pm

I can see no really major problem for veteran players to add the skills system during a campaign hiatus.
I'm not very knowledgeable of AD&D, but apartt from some extra work for you, probably won't be a major problem as well - I know a few DMs that can "translate" from D&D to AD&D on the fly, so I assume it is not something that definitely requires superheroes...;-)
Same can be probably said about Spelljammer, but there I've been only a (once in a long while) player, never a DM...

Have Fun!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 pm

I know you have already seen my Advanced Dark Dungeons thread, as you replied in it! ;)

IIRC, Pelenore Revived! are using both Dark Dungeons and Darker Dungeons to work out some fanon content on their website. I think that an Advanced Dark Dungeons, built on the same lines could allow for people that want to run with the Dark Dungeons rules, but import the Weapon Proficiencies/Non Weapons Proficiencies system from the ADD version. But I think that Blacky the Blackball has moved onto other free/low cost gaming projects and, as was said in the other thread, there are other AD&D clones out there.

I think my ultimate desire for D&D rules would be to convert Dark Dungeons and Darker Dungeons into SRDs and have them on a multi-SRD website along with the 3.0, 3.5 and Pathfinder SRDs. But I'm mostly thinking of this from a point of view of using that as a tool to convert between editions (as well as using it as something to link to when talking to people that don't know a specific version of D&D very well. Blacky the Blackball has already made Dark Dungeons into OGC, so he wouldn't be standing in the way of something like that, but I'm not sure he has the time to do something like that. I think that other people would need to step in and volunteer for something like that to happen.

Talking of Dark Dungeons being OGC, have you considered making a house ruled version (like Blacky did with Darker Dungeons) and then putting that out? Maybe you could call it "Battlefield Dungeons". ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45 am

Big Mac wrote:Talking of Dark Dungeons being OGC, have you considered making a house ruled version (like Blacky did with Darker Dungeons) and then putting that out? Maybe you could call it "Battlefield Dungeons". ;)
I dont really think that the world needs yet another D&D clone, and I have no real motivation to create one since I own all the original material anyway. Mostly the question has to do with me as a player and gamemaster. Sometimes its hard for others to remember that I am a gamer as well as a designer and publisher, I sometimes just build stuff for the sake of building it and using it with my games. Ive been working on a new campaign setting that I had thought to design along the lines of ALL so that it could be used with 1e and 2e. I guess thats still a possibility (right now I have been running it in Pathfinder). I have a lot of material on my shelf that doesnt quite see the love like I want it too.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 am

BPIJonathan wrote:I own the RC and I have been running games using BECMI/RC for a couple of years now. However, in the reading of my Dark Dungeons I noticed there were skills involved. So, anyone see any issues with allowing my players to add the skills to their characters (as they are veteran 3.x players and are comfortable with the skills)? Even if thats not the case, can anyone think of a reason that I should or shouldnt allow this in play?
I can't see any reason why it would be a problem. The skill rules in Dark Dungeons are based on the optional skill rules in the RC anyway (although I tweaked the skill list a bit to make them more consistent and avoid overlap with thief abilities).

The big difference from 3.x skills that your players will need to be used to is that in 3.x:

1) Your skill ranks are the primary indicator of your competence with your ability score adding a modifier but being of secondary importance.
2) You are assumed to be rather useless with a skill unless you've bought lots of ranks in it, consequently low level characters are much less competent than high level ones.

Whereas in Dark Dungeons:

1) Your ability score is the primary indicator of your competence with a skill, with skill ranks adding a modifier but being of secondary importance.
2) You are assumed to be competent even in skills that you haven't bought any ranks in, and level makes little difference to that competence.
I bought Dark Dungeons specifically because it emulated the RC and therefore emulated the version of BD&D that I prefer to play/run. Also, what about the conversion of AD&D to Dark Dungeons?
As with the RC itself, it's mostly compatible with AD&D. For example you could probably use AD&D's races with Dark Dungeons' classes (including dual-classing and multi-classing) and it wouldn't break anything. Similarly, you can use AD&D's monsters and adventures mostly without needing any conversion at all.
Adapting of Spells, kits etc?
I can't imagine spells being a problem. Kits I'm less sure about, because they're a late 2e thing and that's the only edition I skipped.
I was thinking of maybe adapting Spelljammer to it as well. So, any thoughts, even not even related, are welcome here...just trying to settle down with a bit of direction, nothing so far from my warped mind.
Spelljammer should be easy to adapt - in fact Dark Dungeons' rules for the Void, gravity envelopes, Celestial Spheres and the Luminiferous Aether are directly based on Spelljammer's equivalents and the rules for Sails of Skysailing are an emulation of Spelljammer's rules for Spelljamming Helms. In other words, Dark Dungeons pretty much includes Spelljammer anyway when run straight out of the book.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Return to “Dark Dungeons”