DA3 City of the Gods PDF now available!

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

RobJN
Dire Flumph

DA3 City of the Gods PDF now available!

Post by RobJN » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:52 pm

WOTC just put up DA3: City of the Gods on The DM's Guild/DnDclassics site :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: DA3 City of the Gods PDF now available!

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:41 pm

Hurrah!

Here's what I wrote on my blog about it:
Finally DA3 City of the Gods is available at DrivethruRPG. Third in the series of DA modules, DA3 was that last in the series where Dave Arneson had much actual input. The final module, DA4 didn't even have Dave's name on the cover, although some things in that module must have come from Dave as well. When the module came out in 1987, many people must have been surprised to see the amazing cover by Douglas Chafee, showing a fabulous futuristic city that really sparked one's imagination of what a D&D module could be. The idea of fantasy heroes discovering a crashed spaceship had been explored in S1 Expedition to Barrier Peaks, but Dave Arneson had been matching science fiction and fantasy tropes in his games even before Blackmoor was invented. Stephen Rocheford's character had become central in what would become the Temple of the Frog adventure and the hints provided already in the first published version of that adventure (D&D Supplement II) would finally be revealed in this module.

I was really happy to see DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor become available again because that is such a great introduction to the setting. DA2 Temple of the Frog gave us the most iconic adventure location from Dave Arneson's imagination. Now DA3 City of the Gods really shows us the extremes of the Minnesota gamer's experimentation with the genre. Hopefully it won't be long untill DA4 Duchy of Ten becomes available so that we can have the complete series on PDF format.

More discussion of this article: http://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/vie ... 564#p32564
Source: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... -gods.html

Who has a copy of DA3? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Havard wrote:Who has a copy of DA3?
I have paper copies of all 4 if you have a specific question.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:54 pm

I as well have the physical copies of the DA series, I do not have e copies.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:15 pm

I have all four, either in one form or another. :)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:23 pm

This is one seems useful for my Blackmoor campaing. I'll get it ASAP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Thanks! I have all the modules myself, but I am interested in other people's opinions of them. Did you ever get a chance to run DA3 or any of the other DA modules?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:53 am

Ah - that would be a "no" - I have not gotten to use any of my Expert or higher level modules iirc. ;(
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:34 am

I've updated the listing on The Piazza's book house site: DA3 City of the Gods
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Havard wrote:
Khedrac wrote:
Thanks! I have all the modules myself, but I am interested in other people's opinions of them. Did you ever get a chance to run DA3 or any of the other DA modules?

-Havard
I've read the first three from cover to cover, and of them all, I could probably run DA2 - Temple of the Frog - with the least amount of trouble. DA1 was problematic with me (note that I am going by my fuzzy memories of the time when I first read these), in that I'd need to do too much adjusting to a more organic setting; meaning that I wasn't interested in transporting "modern" characters from KW/Mystara back in time to Blackmoor. I was really hoping for a simple setting (which it was) but with a lot more info for a BM based campaign, not a "PCs are time-traveling visitors to BM" perspective.

My only critique of DA3 - that I remember! - is that I really hated the "map" of the ship. :P It really came across as a line-drawn diagram more than a map. I was really hyped to finally see what the spaceship on the cover looked like on the inside!

These days, I'd have less trouble going in and running these with ad-libs to make it a BM centrist campaign.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:21 pm

Ashtagon wrote:I've updated the listing on The Piazza's book house site: DA3 City of the Gods
That saved me doing it. :)

For anyone looking for dead-tree copies, the price-checking gizmo on the Book-House is currently showing Amazon prices as $29.99 USD, £22.95 UKP and $37.99 CDN (+ shipping/postage of course).

How does the original version of DA3 compare to the 3rd Edition remake of City of the Gods?

Did the 3e version add any extra stuff that isn't in the original?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:42 am

Noobster question: is necessary to get DA2: "Temple of the Frog" to fully enjoy DA3? I only have DA1, is the module I using for my Blackmoor campaign right now (I soon will post about the bizarre adventures I'm doing in Blackmoor), but I'm really interested in this module since I knew about the City of the Gods.

Dartamian
Troll

Post by Dartamian » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:49 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Noobster question: is necessary to get DA2: "Temple of the Frog" to fully enjoy DA3? I only have DA1, is the module I using for my Blackmoor campaign right now (I soon will post about the bizarre adventures I'm doing in Blackmoor), but I'm really interested in this module since I knew about the City of the Gods.
No, you don't need DA2 to fully enjoy DA3. If I recall correctly any on the DA modules have enough fluff to stand on their own.
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

Dartamian
Troll

Post by Dartamian » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:51 am

Big Mac wrote:How does the original version of DA3 compare to the 3rd Edition remake of City of the Gods?

Did the 3e version add any extra stuff that isn't in the original?
Each City of the Gods were very different modules. DA3 ismore open ended, explore and meet your goals. 3e reminded me of an old tournament module, seemed to be lead through an adventure path.
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:18 am

Dartamian wrote:
Zeromaru X wrote:Noobster question: is necessary to get DA2: "Temple of the Frog" to fully enjoy DA3? I only have DA1, is the module I using for my Blackmoor campaign right now (I soon will post about the bizarre adventures I'm doing in Blackmoor), but I'm really interested in this module since I knew about the City of the Gods.
No, you don't need DA2 to fully enjoy DA3. If I recall correctly any on the DA modules have enough fluff to stand on their own.
Seconded.

DA2 Temple of the Frog is the first module to really introduce the idea of advanced technology and alien civilizations having a presence on the planet. But it is DA3 City of the Gods that fully explores this concept and explains to the players what is really going on. It might actually be interesting to run DA2 after DA3 as well. Perhaps while exploring the City of the Gods the PCs could learn of a regenegade crew member who fled into the swamps...?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”