Anyone have the 1995 TSR 1134 AD&D Intro Set?

Published 1989.
The Book-House: Find 2nd Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Anyone have the 1995 TSR 1134 AD&D Intro Set?

Post by Havard »

Item Code: TSR 1134
Title: Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Game [BOX SET]
Type: Core Rules
Published: 1995

I don't own this set, but from various website I have found that it contained:
  • Player Handbook (32 pages)
  • Dungeon Master Guide (64 pages)
  • Monstrous Manual (32 pages)
  • Dungeon Master Screen
  • Map (2 sides: Tomb of Damara / House on Harrow Hill)
  • Play cards, including 6 hero cards
  • Audio CD
  • 6 plastic figures
  • 7 dice

In a discussion over at the Piazza's Spelljammer forum, Morfie explained that this boxed set actually reuses much of the same material that previously appeared in the 1994 First Quest Boxet Set which has a thread about it here.

The First Quest Boxed Set came with four adventures, Tomb of Damara, House on Harrow Hill, Under Mount Dread and Wildspace! I hear that Wildspace! was dropped for the 1995 release, but that the other adventures were included. Can anyone confirm this? Morfie also said in the Spelljammer thread linked above that the adventures in the 1995 version had been adapted to the town of Freedale in Shadowdale.

How much Forgotten Realms material was added to the boxed set?
If the Under Mount Dread adveture is included, is the fold out map of this adventure also included? Other sources suggest that it is not...

-Havard

Edit:
Three versions of this boxed set were published between 1995-1996. The original, labelled First Quest was set in Mystara, while the two revised boxed sets replaced the Mystara references with Forgotten Realms and removed the Spelljammer adventure:
Last edited by Havard on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Anyone have the 1995 TSR 1134 AD&D Intro Set?

Post by Big Mac »

This has a CD. How could they reboot the adventures to move them from Mystara to Forgotten Realms if the CD is the same? :?

From what I saw of the First Quest DMs Guide, it was really just four adventures (and they didn't have proper D&D rules IIRC).

I'd be interested in seeing the contents section of all three of these books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Very interesting. I'd never heard of either of these sets.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie »

I have it, but it was given to me second-hand a long time ago. Being second-hand it is incomplete, so it does not have the CD, dice, or figures. IIRC it was from a family member who knew I was into D&D but didn't know what D&D I was into.. I've never actually used it so it was quite dusty :oops:
Big Mac wrote:This has a CD. How could they reboot the adventures to move them from Mystara to Forgotten Realms if the CD is the same? :?
I don't have the CD's of either set, so cannot say for sure.. but my guess is they are fairly generic, containing incidental music, sound fx and basic conversation. Would be interesting to hear if they contained actual references to Mystara and then Forgotten Realms. If they did they may have just over-dubbed them.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Morfie wrote:I don't have the CD's of either set, so cannot say for sure.. but my guess is they are fairly generic, containing incidental music, sound fx and basic conversation. Would be interesting to hear if they contained actual references to Mystara and then Forgotten Realms. If they did they may have just over-dubbed them.

Great news!

Turns out I actually own the CD for this boxed set as well as the First Quest CD. First Quest is the only version I have the actual boxed set for though.

Anyway, I gave it a quick listen through and it seems that the contents of the CDs are identical, though they have different covers and prints. Each has 60 tracks. From what I have heard so far they only reference specific characters and locations to the modules, not ones that are connected to the setting, so it would be easy to use it both for the Forgotten Realms and for Mystara. The Wildspace! adventure from the First Quest Box does not make use of the CD so it would not have been a problem to remove this adventure.

From what I understand, all of the TSR CDs were produced by Fint Dille's Company, TSR West. I cannot find the quote right now, but one game designer said that they had very little input on what got onto the CDs and it was then up to the designers to write adventures that would fit with the tracks. So it is possible that the adventure designers (Richard Baker, Zeb Cook and Bruce Nesmith) wrote the details for Mystara later and then they (or someone else) rewrote those bits for the Forgotten Realms in the two revised versions.

I could not say for certain, but it seems that the same actors are used that were used for the Dragonstrike and Board Game VHS video (and the planned sequel Wildspace). Their voices sound very similar and the acting follows the same over the top style.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “AD&D 2nd Edition”