[Points of Light] Rob Conley talks about PoL's origins

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[Points of Light] Rob Conley talks about PoL's origins

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:53 am

In a recent episode of Tavern Chat, Rob Conley begins talking about the history of the Points of Light setting that he created for Goodman Games. That portion begins around 49:45. This isn't the same as the Nentir Vale/Points of Light campaign that Wizards of the Coast created for 4th Edition D&D, but he acknowledges that this is where the name came from.

Each book contains four hex maps with a few paragraphs of background and a bunch of details for locations on the maps. They're system neutral, but I'd always read them with the assumption that they were intended to be used with 4th Edition D&D.

However, the interview paints a different picture. The second portion of the book, Southland, is connected to Conley's Blackmarsh, which is directly north of Southland. The Blackmarsh adventure was written for Delving Deeper, an OD&D retroclone.

So despite the "Points of Light" name and Goodman Game's creation of products using the 4e GSL, the book was written with more of an old-school mentality. Still, it's system-neutral and adheres to WotC's design principles for a "points of light" setting, so there's nothing wrong with continuing to use it as a 4e supplement!

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: [Points of Light] Rob Conley talks about PoL's origins

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:52 am

I always wondered about the PoL version of Goodman Games. I have a few books from them and I don't see any real difference between their approach and 4e's besides changing a few names.

robertsconley
Gnoll

Post by robertsconley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks for the shout out!

I will be happy to answer any question folks have.

robertsconley
Gnoll

Post by robertsconley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:53 am
So despite the "Points of Light" name and Goodman Game's creation of products using the 4e GSL, the book was written with more of an old-school mentality. Still, it's system-neutral and adheres to WotC's design principles for a "points of light" setting, so there's nothing wrong with continuing to use it as a 4e supplement!
Actually we didn't use the GSL as we didn't use anything that was covered by the license from D&D 4th editions. The closest we came was in PoL 2 when notes about the "roles" of various creatures were added. But since those terms were generic english terms and not other 4e mechanics were used PoL 2 also didn't use the GSL.

The connection with 4e is thematic, outposts of civilization in a wilderness either natural (Southland) or one created by humans (Wildlands and Borderlands). With PoL 2 the Sunrise Sea, the theme is exploration of a New World.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:50 pm

robertsconley wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm
Actually we didn't use the GSL as we didn't use anything that was covered by the license from D&D 4th editions. The closest we came was in PoL 2 when notes about the "roles" of various creatures were added. But since those terms were generic english terms and not other 4e mechanics were used PoL 2 also didn't use the GSL.
I didn't think the PoL products used the GSL, but didn't some of Goodman Games' other books use it? For example, I know they published Dungeon Crawl Classics modules for 4th Edition. I assumed those used the GSL.

robertsconley
Gnoll

Post by robertsconley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:50 pm
I didn't think the PoL products used the GSL, but didn't some of Goodman Games' other books use it? For example, I know they published Dungeon Crawl Classics modules for 4th Edition. I assumed those used the GSL.
No idea, I didn't get involved with that.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:50 pm
I have some of those books, so I checked and yes. Some of the books (the Dungeon Crawls, some of the adventures, and the race focused ones) use the GSL.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:07 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 pm
I have some of those books, so I checked and yes. Some of the books (the Dungeon Crawls, some of the adventures, and the race focused ones) use the GSL.
Thanks for confirming; I appreciate it!

To be clear, I realize that the PoL books didn't use the GSL, but due to the names of the books, the theme, and Goodman Games' creation of other books using the GSL, it had led me to believe the PoL books were intended to be used with D&D 4e. Thanks to the Tavern Chat interview, I realize now that I was incorrect. I'm glad that got clarified!

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”