Star Wars used in non-Star Wars rules systems?

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Star Wars used in non-Star Wars rules systems?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 pm

The have been may Star Wars rules systems over the years. I am curious if anyone has ever run a Star Wars one-shot or campaign in a system that wasn't one that was meant to be used specifically for the setting. An example would be Mutants & Masterminds, which would probably be one of the easiest third party systems to use for the setting.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: Star Wars used in non-Star Wars rules systems?

Post by Coronoides » Fri May 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Great Question.
A few SF rules sets feature Star Wars ideas with the ‘serial numbers’ filed off. Two very good products spring to mind.
Savage Worlds Science Fiction Companion: yeti (Wookiee), energy weapon sword (light sabre), repair bot (astromech).
Hyperlanes (D&D 5e rules. For space opera) Psionic Knight (Jedi), Interpreter Droid (protocol droid), Power and repair bot (astromech), Also the classes in the book do a good job of emulatating any of the non-force using characters in the films (all the characters in all the films).
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri May 03, 2019 5:39 pm

I believe I once played in a one shot for the Star Wars setting using the HeroWars: Roleplaying in Glorantha Rules.

Feng Shui would also be fun, I would think :)

Our Space Master campaign felt a lot like Star Wars even though it was set in that universe.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:19 pm
Great Question.
A few SF rules sets feature Star Wars ideas with the ‘serial numbers’ filed off. Two very good products spring to mind.
Savage Worlds Science Fiction Companion: yeti (Wookiee), energy weapon sword (light sabre), repair bot (astromech).
Hyperlanes (D&D 5e rules. For space opera) Psionic Knight (Jedi), Interpreter Droid (protocol droid), Power and repair bot (astromech), Also the classes in the book do a good job of emulatating any of the non-force using characters in the films (all the characters in all the films).
Also AFMBE has such a space opera expansion, IIRC it is found in All Tomorrow's Zombies.

GP

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri May 03, 2019 8:40 pm

One could do it with Alternity (alas, the d20 line and WotC's Star Wars license were no doubt nails in Alternity's coffin). WOIN's N.E.W. also has the *ahem* Star Knight career, complete with psionic powers and laser-swords. Both systems also allow for military/civilian character types found in the Star Wars Universe.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 pm

I never did that but I would seriously consider using The Expense AGE (green ronin) rule set if I did. Combined with the powers contained in the Modern & Fantasy AGE books, for the Jedi, it could work.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 pm

RobJN wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:40 pm
One could do it with Alternity (alas, the d20 line and WotC's Star Wars license were no doubt nails in Alternity's coffin). WOIN's N.E.W. also has the *ahem* Star Knight career, complete with psionic powers and laser-swords. Both systems also allow for military/civilian character types found in the Star Wars Universe.
The more I am hearing about WOIN the more I am wanting to get those books in the collection.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat May 04, 2019 12:03 am

I haven't had a chance to run it, but I've worked on converting WEG Star Wars to Traveller: The New Era.

Each pip of a stat is a point in Traveller, with SW Strength being both Strength and Constitution, Dexterity becoming Agility, Knowledge to Intelligence, Technical to Education, and Perception to Charisma. I've considered using either the average of Mechanical and Technical or the better of the two, but haven't come down on a firm solution yet.

Each pip of a skill higher than the stat is a level of skill (although once it's converted over, points over the stat should be halved).

Example: Han Solo at the start of the Corporate Sector Sourcebook is 9A9689. He has Astrogation 11, which I would consider an EDU skill. Since Solo's EDU is 8, he gets the first 8 points straight and halves the rest, so his actual Astrogation would be 9.

Most "named" characters are almost ludicrously overpowered, but it works well for mooks (stormtroopers, no-name smugglers, etc).

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sun May 05, 2019 6:52 pm

I posted about using Tiny Frontiers last year. My wife requested a continuation this year. I haven't posted the details yet.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon May 06, 2019 3:25 am

dulsi wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:52 pm
I posted about using Tiny Frontiers last year. My wife requested a continuation this year. I haven't posted the details yet.
Tiny d6 would be a good choice to match the fast moving heroics of the franchise. However, the choice of PC species and robots is limited and they don’t provide a system to design your own PC robots and aliens. You could re-skin some of the presented races to cover some star-wars species (Gens would be great clone storm-troopers) but there is nothing like say an astromech available.
We’re your PCs all human? How do you solve this?
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon May 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Two were human. The third was a Jawa using Khalumra for rules. The new game added another Khalumra but didn't reskin it. I have TinyDungeons 2e and TinyWasteland so I have some additional races available. Since it was a one-shot I didn't focus on converting things.

Description of recent game now online.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:33 pm

Stellar Adventures https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/21 ... Adventures has a customisable set of rules for psyonics that seems written to be easily adapted to Star Wars. Maybe in future I will use it for running some Star Wars adventure.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Artikid
Orc

Post by Artikid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:33 pm

One or two years before WEG published its own Star Wars rpg, my brother ran a SW game using Pendragon's game system.
Illustrator for hire, my Patreon campaign: https://www.patreon.com/artikid
My online gallery https://artikid.deviantart.com

Return to “Star Wars”