Star*Drive - Should I run this with Alternity?

The Future Has No Limits Gamma World can be discussed in it's own forum. Dark•Matter, StarCraft Adventures, Star*Drive, Tangents, Dark Nebula, Protostar and other Alternity settings can be discussed here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Star*Drive - Should I run this with Alternity?

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am

The Star*Drive Setting was never fully converted to d20 Modern, so Alternity is the only system that fully supports this sci fi setting. Are there other reasons why Star*Drive and Alternity are a good match? What is the main appeal of Star*Drive overall? How difficult would it be to convert Star*Drive from the original version of Alternity to the version from Sasquatch GameS?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Starglim
Orc

Re: Star*Drive - Should I run this with Alternity?

Post by Starglim » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 pm

The TSR Alternity rules (and Warships capital ship supplement, if you wanted to use it) support the species, gear and starship designs that match the campaign setting. A different system might bring in assumptions that alter aspects of the setting.

If you wanted to run the original adventures with another rule system, of course you'd have to convert them.

I don't think there would be particular problems, or on the other hand, much advantage against any other rule set, converting to Alternity 2017. Some people on alternityrpg.net have already started on some of the species. Psionics and therefore the fraal species work a bit differently.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 am

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am
The Star*Drive Setting was never fully converted to d20 Modern, so Alternity is the only system that fully supports this sci fi setting. Are there other reasons why Star*Drive and Alternity are a good match? What is the main appeal of Star*Drive overall? How difficult would it be to convert Star*Drive from the original version of Alternity to the version from Sasquatch GameS?

-Havard
Star*Drive and Alternity are a good match because Star*Drive is the default setting for Alternity.

Yeah, Alternity is supposed to be a generic game system, and there were a few different settings produced for it using different genres (most of which appeared in the pages of Dragon Magazine), but at its core, Alternity was written to be a far future space opera game system.

As a setting, I don't think that Star*Drive has any more appeal to it than the settings behind Star Frontiers or Traveller for example. I mean, they all propel humanity into the far future, where we have made some kind of "first contact", and with the help of those (and/or other) aliens, finally managed to colonize the stars.

So the choice boils down to:

1. What technology for being able to reach the stars do you like best? And if you're already familiar with the d20 Future rules for Star Drives, then you already have a good understanding of how they work in TSR's Alternity RPG.

And...

2. What mechanical game rules do you prefer? You can find the Fast-Play rules for TSR's Alternity here:
https://www.alternityrpg.net/downloads.php

If you like 2nd edition AD&D, then TSR Alternity is a good choice as it is fairly easy to convert back and forth between those two games (with plenty of resources at your disposal to do so).

As for converting the old to the new... While I have not looked at the new rules too closely, from what I have seen, it doesn't look like it would be hard to do; maybe even easier than converting 2e AD&D with TSR Alternity, but that's just a guess.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 am

Starglim wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 pm
Some people on alternityrpg.net have already started on some of the species.
Oooh! Do you have a link to that? (Is it one topic, or are they scattering Star*Drive conversions around in different topics?)
Starglim wrote:
Psionics and therefore the fraal species work a bit differently.
Would that change the feel of the fraal a lot? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 am

Digitalelf wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 am
Star*Drive and Alternity are a good match because Star*Drive is the default setting for Alternity.

Yeah, Alternity is supposed to be a generic game system, and there were a few different settings produced for it using different genres (most of which appeared in the pages of Dragon Magazine), but at its core, Alternity was written to be a far future space opera game system.
Well, actually Dark*Matter is equally detailed and designed to work with Alternity. In general, I don't see any reason why Alternity (the TSR version, at least) would not work for other low-magic, medium to high technology settings.

G

Starglim
Orc

Post by Starglim » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 am
Starglim wrote:
Some people on alternityrpg.net have already started on some of the species.
Oooh! Do you have a link to that? (Is it one topic, or are they scattering Star*Drive conversions around in different topics?)
Sure, logically enough: Conversions I'll link to the first post working on species.
Big Mac wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 am
Starglim wrote:
Psionics and therefore the fraal species work a bit differently.
Would that change the feel of the fraal a lot? :?
It would depend how someone decided to do it, really. Mechanically, fraal in TSR Alternity get more psionic energy points, but Sasquatch Alternity doesn't use anything comparable, so that species ability would have to be worded differently. I suspect also that psionics has been made so strong in the new game even for humans that giving fraal still more psionic oomph could be a distortion.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am
My personal opinion is run it using whatever system your group is most familiar with and comfortable with. Alternity is massively OOP, barring drivethrurpg, so your players might not have access to the rules. If your players all have and are familiar with d20 Modern, I'd go with that, converting what you need on the fly. Just my personal take on the matter.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:31 pm

It's a good thing the Fast Play Rules -- which explain the basics of the system -- are still available at alternityrpg.net, in Star*Drive and Dark•Matter flavors
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:13 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 am
Well, actually Dark*Matter is equally detailed and designed to work with Alternity.
This is true, Alternity was designed to be a generic system and Dark*Matter was the second setting produced for it.

However, the Dark*Matter book converts and reprints a lot of the rules from the Alternity Player's Handbook and Gamemaster's Guide in order to work within the Dark*Matter setting, which is substantially different than the base assumptions of those core rulebooks. This is something that wasn't needed for either the Gamma*World or Star*Craft settings as those fell more in line with the rules as presented within the two core rule books.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Return to “Alternity”