First, lets have a look at the patch notes, from the Patch/1.x article on Wowpedia. Wowpedia has these in reverse chronological order, so I'll flip the order:
Looking at that, only the 1.2.0 patch appears to include plot changes.Patch/1.x article on Wowpedia wrote:Patch 1.2: Mysteries of Maraudon
- Maraudon is introduced:
- Gurubashi Arena Event
- Cloak / Helm Graphics can be toggled
- The first Feast of Great-Winter Event
- The EU version of patch 1.2
- Rolling for items in the French and German will now work properly
- Resolved an issue with looting in click to move mode that could cause crashes
- Performance issues occurring with certain CPUs have been resolved
(no notes on Wowpedia)
- This is a minor patch to address localization issues.
- Improved performance when large numbers of players are gathered in a small area of the world.
All we seem to have is: Maraudon, Gurubashi Arena and Feast of Great-Winter.
I've double checked all the patch pages and none of them mention any more plot changes, except Patch 1.2.0. Here are the bits that relate to the plot changes:
The patch name has "Maraudon" in it, so Maraudon is probably the most interesting thing to look at.Patch 1.2.0 article on Wowpedia wrote:Patch 1.2.0
World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.2
- Happy Holidays! - The holidays are here and the citizens of Azeroth are celebrating the occasion with festive decorations and winter time activities. Keep an eye out for some fun and exciting surprises throughout the world!
- New Dungeon - Maraudon - In the vast gray of Desolace lies the earthen tomb of Zaetar, fallen Keeper of the Grove and son of Cenarius. Zaetar rejected his Keeper heritage when he joined with the princess of the chaotic earth elementals, Theradras. Their unholy union gave birth to the misshapen and cursed centaur, who promptly slew their father for his part in their misbegotten creation. Fearful of Cenarius' wrath, the grief-stricken Theradras sequestered her dead lover's body in her secret sanctuary, the Crystal Caverns of Terramok, where she watches over him to this day. Travelers who come to Desolace have little trouble spotting Zaetar's tomb, for the blessing of nature that permeates his being transformed his resting place into a verdant paradise of flora and tranquil pools. Today, this tomb is now trodden by the hooves of Zaetar's children, who have claimed this great cavern as their sacred stronghold Maraudon.
Maraudon, a level 40-49 dungeon in Desolace, is now open and ready for business
Player versus Player
- Gurubashi Arena - The arena in Stranglethorn Vale has been changed so that free-for-all PvP will only take place on the floor of the arena, and no longer in the stands or on the entrance ramp. Please keep in mind that on PvP realms, members of the opposite faction can still attack you anywhere in the arena because Stranglethorn Vale is a contested area.
There is now a short countdown before a duel starts.
There is a chain of four quests linked to this dungeon. The first has both an Alliance and Horde variant and the others are all Neutral quests. So I think the quests could be converted for any group of tabletop PCs:
- Adventurers Wanted: Maraudon (Alliance and Horde versions)
- Corruption in Maraudon
- Servants of Theradras
- Princess Theradras
There is also a list of dungeon denizens (which also includes encounters with boss monsters) that could probably be converted into a Random Encounter table for Maraudon.
Has anyone run a tabletop campaign that was based in this area? Have you used the content from this dungeon?
Do you think the two events (Gurubashi Arena and Feast of Great-Winter) could fit in with a campaign set mosstly in the dungeon? Or would you leave those two out?