The Original 3E Book Covers Were Physically Built

Published 2000 & 2003.
The Book-House: Find 3.0 Edition products, Find 3.5 Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

The Original 3E Book Covers Were Physically Built

Post by Havard »

Not sure that is news, but you can see some photos of the models here:

https://twitter.com/benjamilt/status/11 ... 9330803712

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: The Original 3E Book Covers Were Physically Built

Post by Princess Strega »

Wow...that is truly amazing!

pawsplay
Stone Giant

Post by pawsplay »

Neat!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

I saw these on HG Higginbotham's website some time ago.

You will be interested in the Red Steel pistol, no doubt. (I'm not sure if that predates 3rd Edition or if it is evidence of an abandoned attempt at a 3rd Edition Red Steel campaign setting.)

I spoke to him, some time ago, on Facebook, when he posted some of the pictures there.

EDIT: I've had a search and can't find where I spoke to him. Blasted Faceborg. :oops:

The DMG actually has a model (or half a model) of the planet Oerth, from the Greyhawk campaign setting.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am
I saw these on HG Higginbotham's website some time ago.

You will be interested in the Red Steel pistol, no doubt. (I'm not sure if that predates 3rd Edition or if it is evidence of an abandoned attempt at a 3rd Edition Red Steel campaign setting.)
Nice! I started a separate thread for the Red Steel replicas here.

I spoke to him, some time ago, on Facebook, when he posted some of the pictures there.

The DMG actually has a model (or half a model) of the planet Oerth, from the Greyhawk campaign setting.
Would be cool to have physical replicas of more D&D planets! :)

I was never a huge fan of the D&D 3E covers, but at least they looked different enough to stand out from the rest of the books in the gaming store.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:03 am
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am

Would be cool to have physical replicas of more D&D planets! :)

I was never a huge fan of the D&D 3E covers, but at least they looked different enough to stand out from the rest of the books in the gaming store.
What Henry Higginbotham's 3e book models are, IMO, is a set of awesome replicas of what D&D magical books might look like.

They are brilliant, for what they are, but the branding decision obviously means that the sort of iconic paintings of D&D combat, that we saw in earlier editions, didn't get a look in.

I do like the way there is a common theme to all of his books. There are a few of his book props that I don't quite like as much as the others. And I'd love to know what each prop represents.

I know that the second (revised) DMG was kind of "giving the GM the world" (with the world being Oerth) but the other themes have mostly gone over my head.

I have actually considered trying to knock up a fake Higginbothamesk book prop, so that I can photograph it and use the photo as the background image of a 3rd Edition Spelljammer Core Rulebook cover. (I figured that could help tie in a SJ3e book to a "Greyspace-lite" theme, in people's minds, as they would unconsciously associate that fake cover with the Greyhawk-lite covers.) But I'm not sure where to start and what objects might help add a Spelljammer theme. (It might need something like a big buckle shaped in the outline of The Spelljammer, or a bunch of gemstones that represent the worlds of Greyspace for example.)

Anyhoo (getting off of my hypothetical Emergency Henry Higginbottom Hologram - "Please state the nature of the 3rd Edition netbook emergency!" :P ) he has some other stuff you might like for Dragonlance, Planescape and non-D&D stuff.

WotC has an artist who builds gigantic beholder models. I'm not sure if it is the same person or another artist.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “D&D 3rd Edition”