List of Generic D&D and Module Settings

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
SinLeqiUnninni
Orc

List of Generic D&D and Module Settings

Post by SinLeqiUnninni »

This is a short list of small, generic D&D settings that originate in modules or as sample settings. They need to have multiple points of interest - towns, villages, dungeons, et cetera, and they also should be small enough that you could pop them into a standard D&D setting with minimal fuss. Suggestions are more than welcome!

Classic D&D
Thunder Rift - Thunder Rift

AD&D
Andevar – Destiny of Kings

Beacon Point – Thieves’ Challenge II

Barovia - Ravenloft; later retconned into Ravenloft.

Eor and the Great Southern Swamp - Tomb of the Lizard King; later retconned into Greyhawk.

Garlin – Thieves’ Challenge

Haranshire - Night Below

Honshar – The Silver Key

Paradise Lakes region - Tale of the Comet

Pellham – To Find a King and The Bane of Llywellyn

Sturnheim-Northbank Area – Fighters’ Challenge and Wizards’ Challenge

The Shirelands – Composite from various Bruce Cordell books, including Gates of Firestorm Peak, with a map of an adjacent area in Masters of Eternal Night, and other locations in the series of linked modules beginning with Sunless Citadel. The latter adventure path is 3.x.

Tramilar – Fighter’s Challenge II

The Vale - Eye of the Wyvern

3.x
Elsir Vale - Red Hand of Doom; later retconned into Nentir Vale.

Hidden Coast - Secrets of the Windswept Wall and The Sea Witch

Valley of Obelisks - Shattered Gate of Slaughtergarde

4e
Nentir Vale - Dungeon Master's Guide and generic 4e adventures

5e

3rd Party
Blood Plateau - Tales From the Blood Plateau series. 3.x

Dolmenwood – Dolmenwood series. Classic D&D OSR

Serpent's Teeth - Freeport. 3.x, 4e, Pathfinder and Castle and Crusades, as well as several systems not connected to D&D.

Thessalaine - Shadows Under Thessalaine. 3.x
Last edited by SinLeqiUnninni on Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: List of Generic D&D and Module Settings

Post by ripvanwormer »

There's an earlier thread on this topic here.

Some of the areas from the Hero's Challenge series might also qualify.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

Third Party (for 3.0, 3.5, and 4e):
Freeport (and the Serpent's Teeth) - The Freeport Trilogy, Freeport: The City of Adventure, and several additional books and adventures

Freeport was always designed to be easily dropped into almost any campaign world; references to gods, other nations, etc., were always kept generic and easily adaptable to the larger setting used. The Pirate's Guide to Freeport introduced the World of Freeport, but the amount of detail about the wider world was minimal, and that chapter was strictly optional.

(ETA: Green Ronin's Bleeding Edge Adventures series was nominally set in part of the Continent near Freeport, but only one of them had a direct tie to that city.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

SinLeqiUnninni wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:48 am
Sahu – Complete Necromancer’s Handbook
According to this post by Oqlanth the Complete Necromancer's Handbook is set in Al-Qadim.

And DMs Guild lists Elsir Vale and Nentir Vale as the same world. (But that's probably more of a retcon, as Nerath has a ton of locations from Greyhawk or Mystara - or early generic locations that got retconned into Greyhawk or Mystara - in it.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

SinLeqiUnninni
Orc

Post by SinLeqiUnninni »

ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 am
There's an earlier thread on this topic here.

Some of the areas from the Hero's Challenge series might also qualify.
Y'know, I think I'd read that thread before, forgotten about, and when I asked around on discord people didn't seem to recall seeing on before. Should've checked with the search bar. Thanks! I've checked and compiled some of the suggestions in the thread, and will be doing the rest of them. Also checked the Hero's Challenge stuff and added everything but the single towns. Thank you!
timemrick wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:37 pm
Third Party (for 3.0, 3.5, and 4e):
Freeport (and the Serpent's Teeth) - The Freeport Trilogy, Freeport: The City of Adventure, and several additional books and adventures
I was iffy on including Freeport since I'm also pulling together a list of generic, placeless towns from adventures, but you are right. Freeport was part of a larger region from very early on. Don't remember if it was the very first module, but definitely the original trilogy. Adding the Serpent's Teeth. Thank you!

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:47 pm
SinLeqiUnninni wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:48 am
Sahu – Complete Necromancer’s Handbook
According to this post by Oqlanth the Complete Necromancer's Handbook is set in Al-Qadim.
Double checked the book, and page 108 confirms this. It always gave me a "Self contained setting" vibe, so I didn't look to closely when I saw it mentioned in the other thread. I thought it would work pretty well as a Ravenloft domain out of the box, but it's been some time since I've given it a full read. Cutting it.
Big Mac wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:47 pm
And DMs Guild lists Elsir Vale and Nentir Vale as the same world. (But that's probably more of a retcon, as Nerath has a ton of locations from Greyhawk or Mystara - or early generic locations that got retconned into Greyhawk or Mystara - in it.)
For the purposes of this list I'm inclined to disregard later retcons. Because of that I should probably throw Barovia in too, honestly.

apotheot
Troll

Post by apotheot »

Following

Return to “Other Worlds”