[Star Wars]Fantasy Flight Games nabbed the SW license

'A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." Discuss the Star Wars campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[Star Wars]Fantasy Flight Games nabbed the SW license

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce that it has entered a comprehensive licensing partnership with Lucasfilm Ltd. for the worldwide rights to publish card, roleplaying, and miniatures games set in the popular Star Wars™ universe!

”Being able to publish gaming products in the Star Wars universe is quite simply a hobby-game company’s dream come true,” said Christian T Petersen, CEO of Fantasy Flight Games. “I’m confident that both Star Wars fans as well as FFG’s regular customers will be blown away by the game experiences we have planned for this legendary IP.”

“As a leader in hobby gaming, we’re excited to be partnering with Fantasy Flight Games,” said Howard Roffman, President of Lucas Licensing. “Fun and adventure are hallmarks of the Star Wars saga, and FFG perfectly captures this in their games.”

FFG’s first two Star Wars game lines will be the X-Wing miniatures game and Star Wars: The Card Game, both scheduled to launch in early 2012.

Just the beginning...

X-Wing is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game in which players take control of powerful Rebel X-wings and nimble Imperial TIE fighters, pitted against each other in fast-paced space combat. Featuring stunningly detailed and painted miniatures, X-Wing recreates exciting Star Wars space combat throughout its several included scenarios. Select your crew, plan your maneuvers, and complete your mission!

Star Wars: The Card Game is a cooperative card game that puts 1-4 players* in command of the Rebel strike force and mission team. Players will launch fleets of starships and direct some of the most famous heroes in the Star Wars galaxy as they confront the might of the Empire. By working together, players can fend off Imperial assaults and complete their mission, winning the game! With a wealth of characters, starships, missions, and enemies, Star Wars: The Card Game immerses players in gripping galactic conflict.

Visit our X-Wing website or Star Wars: The Card Game website to learn more, and keep checking back. These two exciting titles are only the beginning, and we’ll be announcing additional Star Wars card, roleplaying, and miniatures games in the coming months!
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Fantasy Flight Games nabbed the Star Wars license

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Squee! :cool: :ugeek:
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:52 am

This is awesome news! I'll be watching to see whether they do anything with the RPG. I've been a hardcore WEG Star Wars fan for ages and gave the WotC version a skip. However, seeing the excellent work FFG has done with the 40K line, I have very high hopes.

Hooray!
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:46 am

Whoah!

Of course, now that Bill Slavicsek is out of a job, they should hire him and make him do D6 Star Wars again! :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Havard wrote:Whoah!

Of course, now that Bill Slavicsek is out of a job, they should hire him and make him do D6 Star Wars again! :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

-Havard
I second this notion, most certainly!
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:26 pm

As a semi-related note, I just purchased the FFG game Lord of the Rings: The Card Game over the weekend (I've turned to boardgames since being unable to play D&D). I think any Tolkien/Middle Earth/fantasy fan would really enjoy it.
Last edited by Hugin on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:02 am

There should be some way to lobby FFG to have Bill hired. :ugeek:
Of course, it can't be D6, but let's face it, with him at the helm, how could the enterprise fail?
Hugin wrote:As a semi-related note, I just purchased the FFG game Lord of the Rings: The Card Game over the weekend (I've turned to boardgames since being able to play D&D). I think any Tolkien/Middle Earth/fantasy fan would really enjoy it.
I'm actually quite interested in this, having played the Decipher CCG for LotR for quite a while. I thoroughly enjoyed this, but of course they no longer have a licence (and haven't for a number of years). You mention you've purchased it, but have you had the chance to play it? Any description of the play experience would be most appreciated.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:27 pm

True_Atlantean wrote:There should be some way to lobby FFG to have Bill hired. :ugeek:
Of course, it can't be D6,
Ahem, D6 is now Open Lisence. :cool:
but let's face it, with him at the helm, how could the enterprise fail?
Slavicsek is somewhat controversial when it comes to D&D, but much less so when it comes to Star Wars. Perhaps that is what he should have been doing all along? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:52 pm

True_Atlantean wrote:I'm actually quite interested in this, having played the Decipher CCG for LotR for quite a while. I thoroughly enjoyed this, but of course they no longer have a licence (and haven't for a number of years). You mention you've purchased it, but have you had the chance to play it? Any description of the play experience would be most appreciated.
So far I've only played it solo. Since it was designed as a co-op (like the new Star Wars card game from FFG), it can be played with any number of "hands" (decks) from one to four. The scaling of players is done (with limited success) by having one encounter card drawn per player. So when playing a solo game with one deck you simply draw one encounter card.

A note on the hands (decks) for other readers; each player plays with three heroes and a deck of cards consisting of either one of the four "spheres" (being a cost centre for a card; leadership, lore, spirit, tactics) or a combination of them (I wouldn't recommend any more then two in one deck). So, to get interesting interactions between cards of different spheres, you'd have to mix your deck. Or, use the other solo option of playing two decks of different spheres, which I've found much more enjoyable. In this case, even though playing solo, you'd still draw two encounter cards.

I have yet to play with someone else, but I look forward to it as I think it would only increase the fun. My wife will likely be the first person as she enjoys boardgames as well.

Lastly, the play experience (from a solo perspective up to this point). I've played twice using the single-deck style and lost twice to the easiest quest (one of three that come with the core game). I was expecting to lose the first several games based on what I had read but I didn't really feel that great about the game. I felt as though I was really good (well, the deck was really good) at one aspect of the game but it just beat me down at all the others.

That's when I decided to try the two-deck style as if there were two players. Once I did that, I saw the game shine with more possibilities. Trying the first quest again this way lead to winning five of the next six games, but they weren't all easy. I tried the second, more difficult, quest for the first time last night and lost, yet it was full of fun tension.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:01 am

Havard wrote:Ahem, D6 is now Open Lisence. :cool:
Awesome. I haven't been following WEG very much since the demise of Star Wars (although I have, and love, my copy of D6 Fantasy), so I'd completely missed this development. Bears much more reading, now that I know of it - thanks!
Hugin wrote: Lastly, the play experience (from a solo perspective up to this point). I've played twice using the single-deck style and lost twice to the easiest quest (one of three that come with the core game). I was expecting to lose the first several games based on what I had read but I didn't really feel that great about the game. I felt as though I was really good (well, the deck was really good) at one aspect of the game but it just beat me down at all the others.
That's when I decided to try the two-deck style as if there were two players. Once I did that, I saw the game shine with more possibilities. Trying the first quest again this way lead to winning five of the next six games, but they weren't all easy. I tried the second, more difficult, quest for the first time last night and lost, yet it was full of fun tension.
This does give me hope, as I'll maybe be able to rope one other person into buying a deck. The solo play aspect, whilst it sounds difficult would actually be an attraction for me. I also noticed that the choices of 'missions' and background material was quite good and showed that the designers actually have some in-depth knowledge of Middle Earth (beyond watching the movies :D ).
As there are a bunch of different missions, do all players need to have the mission deck to participate? To clarify, if the players have the core boxed set, can one person have 'Hunt for Gollum' and the other have 'Conflict at the Carrock' and play?

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:56 pm

True_Atlantean wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread.
Hopefully it's only a partial hijack as, from what little understanding I have of the Star Wars Card Game, they have commonalities in gameplay (even though specifics differ).
This does give me hope, as I'll maybe be able to rope one other person into buying a deck. The solo play aspect, whilst it sounds difficult would actually be an attraction for me. I also noticed that the choices of 'missions' and background material was quite good and showed that the designers actually have some in-depth knowledge of Middle Earth (beyond watching the movies :D ).
As there are a bunch of different missions, do all players need to have the mission deck to participate? To clarify, if the players have the core boxed set, can one person have 'Hunt for Gollum' and the other have 'Conflict at the Carrock' and play?
Hmm... you may have some misunderstandings so I'll see if I can clarify them. The Core Game Set itself contains four player 'decks' itself which consist of a theme or "sphere". These decks may be used by themselves or selectively combined together to create custom "multi-sphere" decks. So as long as you have the Core Set you are able to play a two-player game; no need to have your friend buy his own Core Set. This is a 1-2 player game officially, and is easily played by up to 4 players unofficially (one player for each of the four sphere decks available).

The Adventure Packs that will come out roughly every month, such Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock, require only one copy to play with multiple players just like the Core Set. Each Quest/Adventure uses only one "Encounter" deck regardless of the number of players in the game. What does change is how many of these cards are drawn in the Quest Phase. The Adventure Packs also come with new cards for the player decks (cards for each of the spheres as well as neutral cards). So, to make absolutely clear, to play a multi-player game you only need one copy of the Core Set and only one copy of any Adventure Pack that you'd like to play.

I bought the game based mainly on the solo play option as well. It is difficult, and luck does play a part (however, as D&D players we're rather used to that!), but like you I'm glad it isn't easy. Please feel free to ask any other questions too.

Belathauzer
Ogre

Post by Belathauzer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:44 pm

That's some blow to Wizards of the Coast; considering their parent company, Hasbro, has been producing Star Wars toys for years, and Kenner (a Hasbro subsidiary) for decades before that. I can't wait to see what Fantasy Flight does with it. They've been one of my favorite designers for years now. A WEG-like treatment would be awesome!
-- Long live Mystara!

Return to “Star Wars”