1 Mile Hex Mapping

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Robin
White Dragon

Re: 1 Mile Hex Mapping

Post by Robin »

KtA wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:22 am
Awesome - I really like Sphinx Island, and placing piranha birds on Flooded Rock! Piranha birds are such an awesome concept I don't know why they never got into other D&D editions...
Thanx Glad somebody likes it.

Actually the Sphinx (as given by link source above) was created by Irving Galvez Blight Swamp Compilation. And although I do not believe to remember which canon/fanon? source, I do remember the concept of such a source existing. I do prefer the base what he made of it though, it was however incomplete and needed some extra information. So I just added some more information from PC2, and RC which was missing.

I do like the BECMI creatures too, they are fantasy creatures, yet fit in perfectly with existing ecologies, making these fantasy creatures a realistic view. Something I miss with many creatures created in the AD&D, AD&D2, and almost all later D&D edition creatures, only a few there are somewhat plausible at best.
Did you know there are actually 2 canon kinds of Piranha birds? In my Monster Manual Compilation on animals, I collected the canon statistics/pictures and these were too different for both being the same creature...especially the description. So there exist two versions.

I will use several more of the rarer D&D creatures where I find these applicable ecological end storywise. Expect things like Diger, Bubbles, Wytchglow, Wytchlamp, Surtaki, Thunderheads, Steam weevils(actually these can be found near any warm & wet area), Serpentweed, Lesser Phantom, Kal-Maru, Ice/Frost Wolves, in upcoming map & sources. For example, in the 1mile hex map of Karameikos and Ierendi north you will soon find a perfect location for a Mesmer.

what I find the most obscure in later D&D editions is removal of Morale.. It is in my opinion one of the best methods of behavioral effects on any creature if treated rightfully; check 1r, 1st damage, 1st death on either side, 50% death on either side, all wounded, etc --and rightfully applying behavioral modifiers individually per creature species and sentient ones even behavioral/personality. Tthere are several pages in the RC detailing running away, and morale, so why not use it?. What ever method used 2d6 or AD&D 1d20 it is needed...no creature is a just "kill for xp creature", and that is the feel i get from almost all later D&D editions , whereever played, by most DM's and players alike. in fact it is actually the opposite, most creatures except most undead/constructs, have a powerful sense to stay alive, and do so by whatever means possible, and so should PC's act similar.
The aspect of running away and escape is soo removed from most of these sources, both on the PC as the DM side, and that is unrealistic....let your PC's run, shit their mental pants for something soo fearful/powerful, or make the literally hunt a creature they desire, as it regularly escapes in the environment. I always remember a PC group I had many years ago, which played on the isle of dread...here these 2nd orso level pc's blundered right in the vicinity of a roaming beholder...something soo over the top dangerous, I had to play it rightfully and use all my wits and those of the PC's to give them a plausible chance to survive. that single hour they played this, none has forgotten. :twisted: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Robin on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Suddenly feeling very depressed :o :? . Maybe the Shingles, combined with the corona hype & regulations, and 20 years living alone and having no physical cantact all that time....is maybe too much. ;(
Don't be afraid, I don't want to end it, yet this is not fun feeling to end it all. :evil: The depression must end. That is it...!! :?
Still succeeded to make this Photomanipulation/merging of 3 photos ;)

Karameikos
The Gargoyle Bridge in the Blight Swamp
For the Research of my Karameikos 1 mile hex map. I came upon a faint notice in the works of Irving Galvez http://pandius.com/blight_swamp_compilation.pdf
A unmapped bridge over the Achelos river in the middle of the Blight Swamp of Karameikos, close to the Burned ruins of the village Gorica.
Quote from the above Source;
GORICA THE BURNED TOWN The veterans of the Harrowing found a small town with a palisade on a strategic overlook of the Achelos River… near the Gargoyle Bridge. The new town, Gorica, is burned to the ground and the populace slaughtered. After a frustrating war fighting an unseen enemy, the Thyatian Tribune Marcus Polika brokered a cease-fire with a promise for humans to never again build on the river. This was known as the Blood River War. The town is nothing more than moldering ruins that are haven for foul undead. Not all the buildings have collapsed. Some floors are solid and can safely support persons. Junk is scattered throughout the buildings that remind standing. A group of 15 Ghouls inhabit this ruins.
Quote from Irving himself in mail with me;
It is a bridge to cross the river use to go to the villages. I didnt create that i took it from a site. I dont remember which, but is a site that talks about a campaing. I think there are real gargoyle guarding the bridge.
Quote from me;
to keep it logical it is then best to keep it a wooden bridge with gargoyles terrorizing it ...maybe these gargoyles are placed here by Bargle to limit the use of the already existing bridge
It is then best to assume the bridge is at or just above water level and any ship must open it themselves by hand...and here the gargoyles placed by Bargle come in...
He does not want peeking eyes on his secret experiments up river. Only those showing a specific item/symbol can pass safely. What do you think of this idea.
Quote from Irving himself;
It is ok. I also think this bridge could be use also by the cayman to trade
Final thought; The Caymen, being little and similar in build as Gargoyles(without wings) know how to trick the gargoyles. they cloak themselves with blue-grey mud and wear a wingshaped cloak. Only in this composition the Caymen can cross the river. the Gargoyles do not react as they deem them gargoyles...even if they draft cart, bags, and such. The caymen know not to carry weapons or large objects, they bind these and pull them behind themselves like drafting a cart.

Added; Vessel with a height of 4.5' above the water can co underneath the bridge without opening it. Those higher must allow someone to go to one of the embankments, sneak as carefully as possible up to the bridge and pull one of the ropes to the left of the picture(minimum strength 15, and average weight or more), thereby lifting the bridge. he/she must hold this until the vessel is passed, and then escape the gargoyles as soon as possible. Rumours speak there are about 40 in the region, which attack anyone using the bridge (ie. passing through, opening/closing or traversing it. persons or vessels beside the bridge wikll not be attacked, so low boats can still pass without any danger

Still to all Have Fun and Health
Don't forget to touch/hug your loved ones living with you...touch is sooo important, even in these dire times...I know out self experience.
Last edited by Robin on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

Greenbrier
Hobgoblin

Post by Greenbrier »

Sorry you are not feeling great Robin, but you're doing awesome work! Maybe you are one of those tortured artists who suffers themselves yet produces things that bring joy to others. Love the Caymen Bridge and especially the Sphinx Island!
:?: Vote for your favorite Prince of Glantri! http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23516

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Indeed great work as usual!
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Both Sturm and Greenbriar. Thanx...really thanx ..that felt good
It is just being alone since 4 jan 2000..no family and only a few friends, even which now can't come. over 20 years living without love and minimal touch is hard, and now, being struck with very painfull shingles and no touch-- or visit-- at all due the corona virus is just too much... and that makes me very sad.

D&D creations keep me alive, and that is why I create so much for I need life, and hopefully find love ...although I am afraid that will never happen. My life is just too different.
Yet that I am depressed and feeling alone, and without any love received or can share, is not that I express that in my art, or disregard such in others...contrary...I love seeing love, seeing children, families, animals, nature, art, and such...that, and how people react to my art keeps me going.

So thanx for the reflection...I will continue to create.
I hope all of you fare well, with your loved ones.

oleck
Bugbear

Post by oleck »

Great job!!!!

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

oleck wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 pm
Great job!!!!
Thanx

Doc Chaos
Orc

Post by Doc Chaos »

You are a very awesome person, as far as I'm concerned! I show people who don't have any idea what they are looking at your maps and explain the details until their ears light up in flames.
I appreciate what you do.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Doc Chaos wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 pm
You are a very awesome person, as far as I'm concerned! I show people who don't have any idea what they are looking at your maps and explain the details until their ears light up in flames.
I appreciate what you do.
The blessings of the community. :)
You all give me some warmth to continue ;)
Thanx

And details...hmm yeah...there are a lot...in the upcoming Karameikos map. :mrgreen:
I worked today a broken but total of 7 hours only to place all battles of Sturm's 13!! historic maps in an ecological/tactical location. and he has placed many..... And I have to determine exactly for each battle depending on the location, environment, altitude, roads where they should have taken place within the perimeter of what sturm placed these...And that is heavy :o

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Great work. Well the ones belonging to ancient past may not have much left to show for the ancient battle, but maybe some lost tombstone, dungeon or undead could do :)

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Sturm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 am
Great work. Well the ones belonging to ancient past may not have much left to show for the ancient battle, but maybe some lost tombstone, dungeon or undead could do :)
Oh thanx
I'll add that sentence to the additioning text I am writing...or at least try...its a humongous batch of information and tidbits(similar to what I did in the last Thresholds about the Dymrak Forest. And probably post it here in sections as accompanying the map....that way we create an extensive detailed Expension-gazetteer of Karameikos.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

eventually I could provide more information on each battle if necessary

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Sturm wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 am
eventually I could provide more information on each battle if necessary
Oeh awesome.
That would be great
Thanx ..in advance for that is the hardest part...collecting, organizing and adding information.
When the first map is near to ready it will be placed here.
Then I'll make a list (west to east) of all location named/labelled on this map.
And a seperate list for battle fields of Karameikos
And then post it all here, for you and others to add on.
As always a great help

KtA
Hobgoblin

Post by KtA »

Robin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 am

Final thought; The Caymen, being little and similar in build as Gargoyles(without wings) know how to trick the gargoyles. they cloak themselves with blue-grey mud and wear a wingshaped cloak. Only in this composition the Caymen can cross the river. the Gargoyles do not react as they deem them gargoyles...even if they draft cart, bags, and such. The caymen know not to carry weapons or large objects, they bind these and pull them behind themselves like drafting a cart.
This is an awesome idea!

I suppose as BECMI gargoyles are constructs (unlike gargoyles in some other D&D editions) they are 'programmed' and therefore fairly easy to fool if you can match their 'search image'...

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

KtA wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:41 am
Robin wrote:

This is an awesome idea!

I suppose as BECMI gargoyles are constructs (unlike gargoyles in some other D&D editions) they are 'programmed' and therefore fairly easy to fool if you can match their 'search image'...
Thanx... That was indeed the general idea. ....especially when reading the following collected information....making Gargoyles and Caymen genetically closer than even they would know themselves
See my Mystara Monster Manual Compilation on Constructs page 1405+ where i compiled all canon sources and merged it together.
Gargoyles are very cunning, at least semi intelligent, and incredibly patient. Never needing food or drink, they can sit and watch a site literally for years. Because of the purposes for which they were created, gargoyles tend to be very territorial creatures. If not still commanded by a wizard, they will normally choose a place (such as a ruined building, a cave complex, or a mountain) and defend it from all intruders, attacking nearly anything that encroaches on their territory......Gargoyles attack anything they detect, regardless of whether it is good or evil, 90% of the time.
both thse informations suggest a basic programming which seems to count for all gargoyles, whichever mage created them. However, personal programming (apparently only done by about 10% of the gargoyles), gives extra commonds over this. and this seems to be an extra other than the initial command " protect this location from all but me, and ..."
Gargoyles live in small groups with others of their kind, interested in little more than finding other creatures to hurt. Smaller animals are scarcely worth the trouble to these hideous monsters, which prefer to attack humans or other intelligent creatures. Gargoyles often collect treasure from human victims. Individuals usually have a handful of gold pieces among them, with the bulk of their treasure hidden carefully at their lair, usually buried or under a large stone.
this section clearly states that the gargoyles revert to their basic, almost animalistic programming.
Originally, gargoyles were carved roof spouts, representing grotesque human and animal figures. They were designed in such a way that water flowing down gutters would be thrown away from the wall, so as to prevent stains and erosion. Later, some unknown mage used a powerful enchantment to bring these horrid sculptures to life. The race of gargoyles has flourished, spreading throughout the world.
The gargoyles came into existence in the assumed year 4000BC (it existed already long before Blackmoor prior to the rain of Fire),
and were probably an invention of the Carnifex
Making Magical Constructs
Constructs (magical monsters such as Golems and Gargoyles) are created much as magical treasures are. For some of the steps listed in this section the caster can refer to the previous section on making magical items. The Spellcaster creating the construct must be of 18th experience level or as mentioned or a level equal to the Hit Dice of the construct being created, whichever is greater. If the construct has more than 36 Hit dice, it needs more mages to create. Just add all the levels of all mages working on this complex enchantment. The accompanying mages may be the apprentices of the Mage initially enchanting the construct, as long as they are capable to cast the spells necessary to enchant the construct. Mostly they will be level 9 or higher, but there exist construct created with the help of level one Mage apprentices. If the construct is to have up to two special abilities (that is, from zero to two abilities), the magic-user musty have the Create magical monsters spell. If the construct is to have any special abilities that would
give it three or more asterisks, the magic user must have the Create Any Monster spell instead. For information on finding rare components see spell components under “Making Magical items “in the RC. These special procedures are often written down in special codexes.
all this information combined suggest that these things were createdwith special components, apparently needed to program them. they have however a sturdy basic programming; which enables them to fly, attack , move and wait, and even discern between intelligent and noninteligent opponents. Since they do not need to eat, why would they have such a hunters basic programming, and beside that one that can be altered somewhat....
this deems me that these components are of a creature able to do similar things. Our common Humanoids did not exist when the first gargoyle was created, yet lizardkin did. And there do exist lizards able to fly. This apparently low ranked critter has above animal level intelligence, yet still below human level. I think the Carnivex(lizardkin on themselves) thought responsible for the first gargoyle creations discovered the abilities of these low status critters and experimented on them. My assumption is that they removed the little vbrains of the creature and somehow inserted these in the Gargoyle body, magically attatching it to it, enabling to control it. My best assumption of this lizard creature is either a prehistoric flyer, yet it seems thatdue the continued creation of Gargoyles assumes the Draco Lizard (MMMC-animals page 380) is the best source of similar abilities ans exists up to today. generally thought to have an animal intelligence of 2-4, it might be(since they seem to be related to the earliest dragons) some individuals have a higher intelligence, maybe even up to 6...and these would be the best brain components.
There is a White Wolf webpage detailing garoyle creation, the method on Mystara would be similar however some components would be different, especially as this is a different game and history. For example to create gargoyles from the dismembered parts of other the Cainites would have been replaced with dismembered parts of other the the Dracolizards, and a female Draco Lizard would be used instead a female Gargoyle(since Gargoyles have no gender)

Gargoyles seem to have an infinite lifespan, especially in rest, however, most will eventually being slain by opponents, or by the environment(erosion, lightning, etc)
thus far my rambling on Gargoyle programming. hope you enjoyed it

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles »

Robin wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:01 am
Sturm wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:06 am
Great story, well done! :)
Thanx
It is an readjusted to Mystara, the Mount Pavel and magic version of Edmund Hillary's dairy on his climb on Moount Everest, and an expansion of the vague canon/fanon informations.

I also hope you all like the map. For making it was very Tricky. I succeeded to follow all the Ridgelines as given in B10 maps 3 and 2 mile hex maps. The did vary significantly, yet in the end fusing these together made Mount Pavel more realistic and dominating...at least in my opinion.
The hex scale flaw I recentlky discovered in the Karameikan 1 mile maps is now gone, and this map is as good as it gets, and fits like a glove the 1 mile hexes.
So have fun with it.

Shawn? This whole post can be stored on Pandius if you desire. thanx
thanks, will do Robin
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles »

Robin wrote:
Suddenly feeling very depressed :o :? . Maybe the Shingles, combined with the corona hype & regulations, and 20 years living alone and having no physical cantact all that time....is maybe too much. ;(
Don't be afraid, I don't want to end it, yet this is not fun feeling to end it all. :evil: The depression must end. That is it...!! :?
Stay strong Robin, these are difficult times but we will get through them.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

stanles wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:54 am
Robin wrote:
Stay strong Robin, these are difficult times but we will get through them.
I do ...I do try.

KtA
Hobgoblin

Post by KtA »

Robin wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:09 am
all this information combined suggest that these things were createdwith special components, apparently needed to program them. they have however a sturdy basic programming; which enables them to fly, attack , move and wait, and even discern between intelligent and noninteligent opponents. Since they do not need to eat, why would they have such a hunters basic programming, and beside that one that can be altered somewhat....
this deems me that these components are of a creature able to do similar things.
That makes a lot of sense, gargoyles do have vaguely reptilian/dragonlike features. Maybe rather than using the actual brains though it's more of a sympathetic magic/function follows form kind of effect "baked into" the magic used to animate them?
Gargoyles seem to have an infinite lifespan, especially in rest, however, most will eventually being slain by opponents, or by the environment(erosion, lightning, etc)
Yeah, I agree, as constructs they wouldn't have anything like a natural life cycle or genuine biology. With no real "metabolism" they wouldn't age.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Hmm I agree, it must not always be the brains, spine and nerves would do as well ;P

I do think you need some original component in addition to magical ones (like footfals of a cat, or whisper of a leaf), for magic to adhere too...the brain then seems the most logical in somewhat sentient creations.

Not aging, not altering, and not learning...the only learning constructs are those that are biological, and able to reproduce, and maybe Golems, which have often sentient minds attached to their creation

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos

This time something that can't really be mapped, but seems to be in inherent part of the Real World of Eastern Europe, and therefor something that deemefd most logical to the World of Mystara also.
The Gypsies are partially drawn from the AD&D2 Ravenloft Vistani. (also because Ghistani is linguistically equal to Gypsy and the Dutch word Zigeuner)
I hope You like these.
Blue colored text is DM information to use creating PC's or NPC from their stock (follow the Traldar Creations as from Gazeteer 1 for basics, yet these have no birth- or home town)

The Ghistani of Karameikos.
Plagued through the ages these original Traladaran refugees from times so long passed, they themselves have even forgotten their original source. However, grouped together a history can be made. Far before Halav The Taymoran took over control of the region, and forced these primitive humans under their control. It is the Ghistani who first discovered the secret of the Undeath/vampiric state of these Taymoran. They shared this information and prepared to resist. They detected that these vampires could not enter a house uninvited, which was used against the Taymoran. This worked initially, however the Charm ability of the vampires soon faded this resistance away.
The ancestors of the Ghistani grouped together in mutual homes, here the sharing of the home ownership was their strength as the vampires had to charm all of them to succeed taking over control. Then these Traladaran grouped together even more, in simple home wagons, like their ancestors did trying to survive the Great Rain of Fire and its fearsome aftereffects like the Wasting Disease.
They did so never a door could be forced open, as there was no house. They used the ancient magic from a millenium before the Great Rain of Fire, natural witch magic, and fused this into their wagons and identities. Unknowingly it did affect them greatly. They no longer were able to build stone structures, or live longer on the same location than a single moon. Yet it gave all of the inherent magical abilities and understanding of the magical world. Some say that amongst these Traladaran were Sidhe, which over the ages merged together with these Traladarans into a single fey-like human race.
Normal Humans have a 5% chance to have Second Sight (See PC1 Tall Tales of the wee Folk), Ghistani have a 20%.
They are very religious and follow the old Traladaran Immortals. Even the mages and witches understand this importance of their faith and follow all their ancient traditions to the letter. Over the centuries this group consisting over 17 families traversed the country and travelled even beyond. They are known to traverse Darokin, Thyatis, The Five Shires, Glantri, Ethengar, yet do not like to travel through the barren sands of Ylaruam for the remnants of ancient magic possible dangerous to them.
Most travel in wagons, only two families travel in vessels, and these are the survivors of their kin when Taymora dissapeared below the waves and the earth swallowed up all their history. These are seen in Ierendi, Minrothad, Thyatis, 5Shires and even the Thanagioth Islands and the souther continental shores.
There are rumors that these Ghistani as the called theselves after the disaster (old Traladaran for; Wandering survivors) are able to use their inherent magical powers to enter other Planes Freely (amongst all Dreamlands, the Elemental Planes, The ethereal Plane, and even the Sphere of Death.
This is a group magic bound to the whole group in a radius of 20 yard from the family caster--one per family wagon each and derives its power due the Fey abilities connected to them and the Dreamland Realm)

They have like the Ethengar great knowledge of the Spirit World and its inhabitants (Dreamland & Sphere of Entropy) and are of the few knowing there is a great Portal on World Mountain.
Some of the Ghistani are Witch (mage subclass), Hakomon(as Gaz Ethengar), or Shaman(as Gaz Ethengar). most of them are Scout(thief Subclass), Thief, Rake(thiefsubclass as Dawn of the emperors, or common Fighter. Even though religious and having small portable shrines to their immortals, they have no real clerics amongst their midsts and rely on theur froendship to the Traladaran Faith and its clerics.
The Thyatians dislike the Ghistani for harbouring withches, asource of magic they can't get a grasp on let alone control, and deem them as dangerous to Thyatian traditions and control. The Traladarans have been used to these overak friendky (though often also thieving)Ghistani and they are welcome everywhere, although disliked by the followers of the Unholy Trinity.
With the coming of the Alphatians and the spreading of Lycanthropy several Ghistani were infected with different strains of it, amongst Werebear, werefox, werebat, wererat, and a few werewolves. Today about 40% is infact a natural (not by infection) born lycanthrope of these variations only ( 65% bear, 15% Fox, 10% Bat, 7% rat, 3% wolf), and their dominant lycanthropy took root in their traditions. today their bear dance slightly lifts some of this veil of secrecy. Dancing bears is one of the enchanting traditions in Romania, and does not imagine real bears, but people dressed in bears that carry on this ancient custom.
This unique archaic tradition in the world has roots even from late Taymoran times. The nomadic gypsies roamed the villages with real bears dancing on a certain rhythm, and later they danced as themselves being werebears. It is therefor assumed that the lycanthropy they were infected with was caused by infected animals they cared for or were part of their cultural heritage. This danced lured the people(including the vampires) away enabling the other Ghistani to steal food, drinks, clothings and such. Up to this date the Ghistani are known to be a thieving bunch
Nowadays, the bears are only revealed as people dressed like this (unknown to kost their are real werebears amongst them). the custom is specific to villages and cities from the original Traladaran region of the Known World (5shires, South Darokin, Karameikos, Thyatis), and it takes place in the last 2 months before the New Year (and the feared day of Dread, where some Traladaran locals use to hide among the Ghistani as they enter another Realm.
Groups of dozens of people, carol dressed in bears from door to door, to wish a new year as wealthy as possible when they return a day later. Traladaran's Bear Dancers are thus fully respected, and farmers welcome these often to stay on their lands as it is rumoured to bring fertility to do so, but bring hardship if not. The Ghistani do respect the humanoids, yet as this is not reversed, they still often have to fight these.
The greatest respect they have is for the giants in the region. Especially the Stone, Storm Giants are well known for their abilities, and even the brutish hill giants know the Ghistani not being an enemy.
THe Ghistani have travelled the Planes and worlds and thus can literally be found anywhere but the far Outer Planes. Their knowledge of the inner and close Outer Planes is great and often suprcedes that of the average mage and even Glantrian Scholar.
Out of necessity these Ghistani in the last centuries often became returning entertainers using their abilities as such and not always rely on theft (their Fey side doesn't understand personal property, while their human side does). Many travelling circusses are run by a group of Ghistani .The normal common wagons are then often painted in colorful designs.
https://www.nicepng.com/png/detail/378- ... -d-map.png
Yet being mostly (999%)poor they often appear to be beggars, and the Thyatian dislike out of religios/control bias often forces them to reside in the wilderness.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fab ... 0217184627
For encounter chances exchange within wandering adventurers on the Table of encounters as the Rules Cyclopedia, with a 50% chance of giving 6d4 wagons of Ghistani, with each wagon having 3d4 occupants from any gender, age or class(as given above) with the abilities as presented above (including the @nsd sight and possible other fey abilities like being invisible to Mortals. these abilities have however been diluted due the human side and can be used not unlimited but a maximum of 3 hours in total per 24 hours or no more than 3 + the characters individual constitution bonus times a day.

If you find these Gypsies interesting, a source usable to expand the information given above is the Von Richten's Guide to the Vistani, yet needs some rewriting were the information given there is different or even contradicting from the above. THe above information takes precedence of course.
Have fun

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos

Another non map source of information, derived from ancient Rumanian Tales, I decided to have a significant place in Karameikos (locations on the 1 mile map are attached to this PC/NPC class) .

Solomonar
Sometimes good, sometimes a bit wicked, the Solomonar is considered the great sorcerer of storms and winds, master of all lakes, tall mountains and deep caves, and the creator of frost, mist, and hail.
Their human identity (even the giants can assume this form) is a tall, white, grey or red-haired peasant, often dressed in a white long peasant robes,sometimes woolen, or clad in ragged attire made from patches.
And they are most often seen around begging for alms. The contents of their magic bag are instruments such as an iron axe, birchbark reins or bridle, a magic book of wisdom.
A branch that has killed a snake is included in some of these, and is assumed to be similar in effect and method of use as a Snake staff, able to summon a constrictor snake of 3 HD+1 HD for every level of the creator of ths item. The duration of these snakes is as a normal Snake Staff limited, and the snakes created are 1. The branch can be used in combat as a staff +1 and will inflict 1d6+1 points of damage per hit.
Upon command, the staff turns into a snake and coils around the creature struck. The command may be spoken when the victim is hit. The victim is allowed to make a saving throw vs. spells to avoid the serpent's coil. Any victim of the snakes length will be held helpless for 1d4 turns (unless the snake is ordered by the owner to release the victim before that time). Larger creatures than the snake cannot be ensnared in the snake's coils. The snake's characteristics are as follows.
Snake: AC 5; HD 3 +1/HD creator; hp 20+1d6/HD over 3; MV 60' (20'); #AT 1 (special); Dmg 1+1/HD, constriction damage (special); Save C3; ML 12; XP varies per HD, Size 2' /HD
When freed, the snake crawls back to its owner and becomes a staff once again. The snake is completely healed when it returns to staff form.
If killed in snake form, it cannot return to staff form and it loses all magical properties, and the item is deemed as destroyed.

Once they are in the guise of beggars (often crippled or blindfolded beggars), they blend in with the populace so they cannot be distinguished as wizards.
Also, people who claim to have seen these, say that along with his book(sometimes in a Bag of Holding), he also carries a piece of birch wood assumed for calling the storms and winds and controlling dragons and an iron axe which is often assumed to call hail, snow and cold
This together clearly states A Storm Giant with advanced Magic-user capabilities.

Mythology says that sometimes a human baby is born with a distinctive sign over his face and body, and that alone these can become such an equal knowledgeable sorcerer if guided by a Solomonar.
These signs are the result of corporeal adjustment to Magic, and identify the child as being able to absorb magic.
The reason for this still shouded in obscurity, however, it is assumed the mother during pregnancy was exposed to unknown natural crystals which grow all over Mystara.
Taken away by an old Solomonar, the boy is trained for 20 years at the Solomonar’s School, found somewhere high in the Mountains, in a deep cave.
There, the students avoided the rays of the sun for 7-years to learn as much of the languages of the beings from Earth, and as much magic spells he can master.
In the mean time his body adapts further to the absorbtion ability. Children not taken underground for a total continueared time of 7 years will lose this ability.
Some sages say this has been tied to the Radiance and might be a a similar effect as the crystals growing on Mystara...an effect of Magic absorption, trying to reduce the Amount of radiance magic.
To the DM; this corporeal effect will continue after the Radiance explodes in 1752AC,
And then, after many hard tests(name level), he is left alone for the remaining 13 years, to a rock table on top of the mountain fully vulnerable to the elements for over a year, to write down all of his knowledge in his own book.
The human Solomonari are able to become Dragon Riders (the giants would be also, but their weight is too large, and can do so only in Human form)
Giant Solomonari can polymorph into a human once aday after gaining 4th casting level.

Solomonar by Sebastian Luca

They are generally considered good wizards (Alignment Lawful Good or Neutral Good) and often presented as false beggars, testing the kindness of people.
It is said if people refuse to help them while they are in disguise, they bring hail and strong storms to ruin the crops.
The truth is otherwise, they only do so when the people try to harm them.
But if they are helped, they offer gifts to the rivers and please the water fairies. Soft rain and fertiliti will be given to the farms.
There are however some of these sorcerers who have become different when overexposed to violence and evil. In various regions of the country, the Solomonars are divided into two categories: good and evil.
It is said that the evil ones tainted by the vile evil deeds done to them bring raging storms and floods.
These maleficent creatures are called Contra Solomonari, and have the Solomonari as enemy, and especially the Masters of Stone.
A Master of Stones is a solomonar of 9th or higher level. and is abl e to use eartbound spelks also (earthquake, fertility, etc)

They are not only masters of the elements, but when having subdued a dragon these will obey the commands of Solomonars. Something many Solomonar achieve as a pesonalgoal.

Game Statistics
Race; Human, Cloud or Storm Giant
Abilities; as by Race. Inteligence and Wisdom is rarely below 13
Magic Resistance; at name level- 25% constant resistance to magic
Magic Absorbtion; - An important tactic heavily relied upon. achieved only after 7 years studying underground away from sunlight.
Duration; 6 rounds
Activation; 3 initiative segments at will, once per day and once per 3 levels over 9th =name level. But only once every Turn(10 minutes=60 rounds)
Effect; absorb half of the magic from hostile spells at you, or from magical items held for 6 rounds,usable to cast another spell.
(in other words; if a 4th level spell is cast at the Solomonar, he/she receives 2 levels magical energy which can then be used to cast any spell he had memorized that week extra even if that spell was already cast.
Magic Items are half drained permanently (except artifact which are nullified for 1 day or more. And this may lure an Immortal to the foulish Immortal doing this. DM!!) and every spelllike power is translated to spell levels, and every magical adjustment(+ or - Effects) is counted as 2 levels for each charge.
Multiple spells or magical charges allow more spell levels to be charged and able to be used as such.
These levels can be stored, combined and used within the 6 rounds of the ability, not beyond that.All charges lost evaporate in ambient magic detectable by a Detect Magic spell for a day.

Solomonar are interested in anything and everything, and generally are good with people and tend to reduce life to a game of wits
Spell type; Solomonar use only magic user type spells of cold, Fire, Lightning or Weather spells similar to those of the Magic user class and Druid class. This includes resistance spells to these.
Spell Casting; They cast these as their HD (not by level) hence the Giant Solomonar are stronger than their human counterparts.
XP/Level progression; They follow the XP progression of a magic user if human or as Giant+ extra Xp required Wokan/Wicca if Giant. The maximum spell level able to learn is 5th.

Weapons used; Any Axe including Pick Axe. They tend to move around quite a bit, and are usually setting camp in the wild. These tools help you perform different needed tasks, They are happier for having a functional axe instead of a staff... Mages cherish staves...Solomona, on the other hand, are at home in Nature or the mountains. Only a few of these weapons are charged with a Weather or cold related spell. The Storm and Cloud Giants have a BM of 5, so each HD damage (even Weapon Mastery increased damages) caused by the weapon is multiplied by 5, extra adjustments by Weapon Mastery or magic are not counted. A hit by this will propell the target 50' opposite of the direction of impact. possible suffering falling damage (2d6) or impact damage if hitting a solid opject(3d6)
Some of them have a piece of birch wood which are used as reins for riding dragons. Some of these are charged with a Summon Weather or Wind related spell.

One of the items these sorcerers cherish the most is a pair of boots...many of them however walk barefoot.
Another peculiar item (often hidden underneath clothing) is a wooden board hung around their neck displayed on their chest. This seemingly beggar board is infact the only armor these sorcerers can have and has an partial Armor Value of 3 to the chest (or AC 3 to the chest), which can be counted as a general AC adjustment of 1, if neither Partial Armor or Armor Value systems are used. Some of these are enchanted to increase its protective value.
Of course all items are affected by the Polymorph spell when used by giants, and adjust to size.

This Class is named after the Storm Giant Family Solomonar which reside in the Black Peak Mountains. They have had their histpric impact on the region but most is forgotten. Some say these giants are refugees from the ages old Giant Kingdom which had existed 3000 or so years ago. They are hated by Frost Giants, disliked by Mountain Giants, and misunderstood by the Hill Giants. Others giants acknowledge their power and importance , although some indicviduals might have envy of these powers. Humans know of these existing, yet know actually nithing more than their appearance and their effects on them according treatment. Demihumans know them better and respect them. Mostly they prefer to move away of a confrontation occurs

Have Fun
Long Live Living Mystara and the Grand Duchy of Karameikos
Adjusted somewhat as per suggestions by Kta see below)
Last edited by Robin on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KtA
Hobgoblin

Post by KtA »

Cool!
Robin wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:24 pm
A branch that has killed a snake is included in some of these, and is assumed to be a Snake staff, able to summon a 3 HD+1 HD for every level snake.
Do you mean that it summons a snake as a "separate" creature, or that it transforms into a snake like the standard Snake Staff but with that HD?
Spell type; Solomonar use only Fire, Lightning or Weather spells of the Magic user class and Druid class. This includes resistance spells to these.
Spell Casting; They cast these as their HD (not by level) hence the Giant Solomonar are stronger than their human counterparts.
XP/Level progression; They follow the XP progression of a magic user if human or as Giant+ extra Xp required Wokan/Wicca if Giant.
I'm not totally clear how this would work. Do they have the same number of spells per day as a Magic-user of the same level but get a different list of spells to choose from (only fire/lightning/weather related spells, but drawn from the Druid list as well?)

Also given that Wokans have a limited spell list some might not have any spells of a particular level available...

From the way you've described them at the top I'd say they should get water and ice spells too (create water*, wall of ice/ice storm)

*Also, in BECMI/RC rules, do they get only spells from the Druid specific list, or also Cleric spells related to these themes that Druids can use (like Resist Cold/Fire)?
Robin wrote:
Another peculiar item (often hidden underneath clothing) is a wooden board hung around their neck displayed on their chest. This seemingly beggar board is infact the only armor these sorcerers can have and has an Armor Value of 3 to the chest (or AC 3 to the chest), which can be counted as a general AC of 1 if neither Partial Armor or Armor Value systems are used. Some of these are enchanted to increase its protective value.
AC 1 seems too good... do you mean a bonus of 1 to AC (overall) or a bonus of 3 to chest armor (if hit locations are used)?

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Karameikos
Again a small section which soon can be revealed on the map, yet is interesting enough to explained here in text.

The spell of the Talming Hills and one of the reasons of the demise of the village Talm as described by Rufalo Berskov Student of the Magicians Guild Hall of Specularum 15 Vatermont 1000AC by personal research of the described region.
Talm was an important Town already in the Taymoran era, and was probably even created by them, as seen by the many typical style ruins the village now harbors.
The village already suffered a steady decline of inhabitants after 310AC, and was a village in 440AC seems to have had its final end with the battle of 450AC, and was fully abandoned.
The reason of all these sequences is unknown to most, yet the linguistic history still bears a memory of what has happened here.

What follows is a short tale;
The region east of the River Volaga and Krakatos, and Northwest of the Ocean of which Talm belonged, encompassing Dim, Rak, Thorkos, Sijm(today Locrida) and Ilies(today Kerosinos). In those days an easy place to live with minor confrontations. The Elves and Fey lived to the North and east, and not much humanoids were present.
With the Great Beastmen (Gnoll) invasion in 1000BC, initially not much changed after Halav succeeded to defeat these monstrosities.
The change began somewhere after 760BC, when the humanoids increased in number and taking control of lands formerly held by Elves and Fey.
Battles of 695BC, 544BC, 433BC, 343BC, 201BC, 153BC, 121BC, 309AC proved the region was no longer under actual control by the Traldaran Beyond the battles, many raids and humanoid plunder have had a significant effect on the region.
Something the local populace tried to handle with.
Although no documents could be retrieved of the time, the decline of the population and some peculiar crystals being mentioned growing in the Talming Hills, reveal something did happen a few years before.
A single ruin in these hills of a slim yet architectural marvelous tower suggests it was a creation and hold of some mage.
This unknown mage was apparently a local of the region, not desiring to wander far away, yet also not desiring to harm the locals with effects caused by his experiments.

Examination of this ruin (under the current hindering circumstances explained below) reveals this mage had acquired enough knowledge to experiment with nature itself.
Using ancient techniques (from primitive ancestors thousands of years ago and the Ochaleans more recent) he placed several menhirs in the region several miles from his tower.
The sigils on these standing stones, suggest this mage desired to protect the Town of Talm from the humanoid continuous onslaught and raids.
And also seem to reveal he (or she) attempted to use this acupunctural magic to affect the region itself.
What the intentions of this magical effect summoned had to be, and if they were as expected or intended is unknown, yet soon thereafter a powerful source of magic washed over the region several miles away.
The locals initially never understood what had happened, nor how it would affect them.

In the old archives discovered in the ruins of Krakatos, old documents seem to reveal the overall weakness of the locals here.
It speaks of merchants and visitors coming to Talm meeting their customers as normal.
It was noted that the travel from Krakatos over the Talming Hills suddenly seemed to take so much longer.
The days seemed to pass by must slower, as if they were doubled in length from 24 to 48 hours.
Yet in overall nothing seemed to have changed, children played, adults worked and the elder relaxed or teached. Animals wandered, grazed and hunted as normal.
The amounts of humanoid raids and attacks soon declined.
At least what the mage had promised seemed to work.

What apparently has happened is revealed in an obscure document found in the taxation archive of Thorkos. This document is dated a few months later, and speaks of a farmer south of the Town of Talm which tried to speak with an elven hunter slowly walking by a hundred yards or so away.
The farmer saw him carrying a slain boar and called if he could buy the beast to feed his family.
The hunter looked him friendly right in the eye with a look of misunderstanding and called back.
The farmer was astounded as he heard the words; they seemed to be like as an elder sometimes does; spoken very slowly.
The hunter however called back that the farmer must speak slower as he could not really understand him.
Confused they approached each other and nothing seemed wrong, however when returning the same seemed to happen.
Even when exchanging their relative position, however the effect seemed to be exchanged then.
The Elf had some magical understanding of higher magic and explained that there must be some kind of Haste or Slow magic effect must be active.
Days within the effect seemed to twice as long to those within, yet was unaffected to those outside the area if effect.
This apparent prolonged time forced the people (and animals) of Talm to adapt. Sleeping was done like they did before, about every 16 hours 8 hours of sleep, and was mostly in the darkest and brightest moments of the day.

The document further speaks of taxation issues of the region and that Magicusers and even clerics were called in to research the matter.

The following personal research of the magical effect itself is maybe a bit confusing, as the real time is still as the real time is.
The persons affected by the slow effect, however perceive time going much slower. A full day to their feeling now lasts 48 hours instead the normal 24.
Somewhat similar to those living close to the poles where days and nights are much longer and the sun doesn't set or doesn't rise for weeks, yet here the full day seems to be twice longer.
The slowed person perceived the actions of anything outside the effects active are as being twice as fast.
Outsiders spoke twice as rapid, and moved twice as fast, while insiders seemed to outsiders as slow, and sullen.

The following conclusions are derived from Legal Documentations found in lost archives of Krakatos;
This peculiar effect has caused many people to relocate in the decades after the effect started. Spellcasters within the affected reguion noticed that they no longer could cast any spells successfully, and these were the first people to move away. The Town declined and became a village. Less people were able to defend it, and in the upcoming humanoid raids and battles later, the village was eventually overtaken and abandoned in the year 450AC
Animals, like the humans, also rest more when in the region. Humanoids became spooked by the sudden longer days and moved out, often partially blinded due the longer sunlight (in their perceived reality)

Personal current analysis; The whole effect still exists, although encroaching Crystals have pressed the Slow area several miles inwards over the last 50 years or so, and surely will continue to decrease the range of the effect. Apparently this is a natural reaction to this weird magical power.
The whole effect is also memorized linguistically; a person slow in travelling or acting is labeled as "Talming”.
A tedious slow journey is also called a talming journey, and someone being too slow is corrected by calling; "Stop Talming, come on, don't Talm"

Signed by Rufalo Berskov Student of the Magicians Guild Hall of Specularum, 15 Vatermont 1000AC
Noted by Teldon headmaster of the Magicians Guild Hall of Specularum, 18 Vatermont 1000AC
Additional Text; Interesting research Rufalo. However more information should have been supplied. Result; Above average
Last edited by Robin on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

KtA wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:45 pm
Cool!
Robin wrote:
A branch that has killed a snake is included in some of these, and is assumed to be a Snake staff, able to summon a 3 HD+1 HD for every level snake.
Do you mean that it summons a snake as a "separate" creature, or that it transforms into a snake like the standard Snake Staff but with that HD?
Indeed, similar to a snake staff in all effects except size/HD, very large snakes are possible this way
Spell type; Solomonar use only Fire, Lightning or Weather spells of the Magic user class and Druid class. This includes resistance spells to these.
XP/Level progression; They follow the XP progression of a magic user if human or as Giant+ extra Xp required Wokan/Wicca if Giant.
I'm not totally clear how this would work. Do they have the same number of spells per day as a Magic-user of the same level but get a different list of spells to choose from (only fire/lightning/weather related spells, but drawn from the Druid list as well?)
They have in effect their own spelllist, which are equal to the Druid and mage spells of the sorts mentioned.

Also given that Wokans have a limited spell list some might not have any spells of a particular level available...
Indeed spells of higher than 5th level are not possible

From the way you've described them at the top I'd say they should get water and ice spells too (create water*, wall of ice/ice storm)
I would include these too indeed.

*Also, in BECMI/RC rules, do they get only spells from the Druid specific list, or also Cleric spells related to these themes that Druids can use (like Resist Cold/Fire)?
The spells would actually all be magical spells , memorized like a mage from a spellnbook, yet some are similar to those Druids use, and Resist Cold/Fire I would include as the fall into the above mentioned cathegories.

Robin wrote:
Another peculiar item (often hidden underneath clothing) is a wooden board hung around their neck displayed on their chest. This seemingly beggar board is infact the only armor these sorcerers can have and has an Armor Value of 3 to the chest (or AC 3 to the chest), which can be counted as a general AC of 1 if neither Partial Armor or Armor Value systems are used. Some of these are enchanted to increase its protective value.
AC 1 seems too good... do you mean a bonus of 1 to AC (overall) or a bonus of 3 to chest armor (if hit locations are used)?
This is indeed a mistake. I meant an AC adjustment of 1, not a total AC of 1.
This however is still hefty as Storm an Cloud Giant Solomonar have High AC naturally by themselves.
And the AC3 bonus is indeed as per partial armour and hit locations.

Hope this helps
Thanx for pointing to this.
I'll adjust in the main text

Return to “Mystara”