Naval Battle Rules: The Seas of Cerilia

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderator: agathokles

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Naval Battle Rules: The Seas of Cerilia

Post by Big Mac »

I just stumbled onto a Birthright product called Naval Battle Rules: The Seas of Cerilia:
Amazon wrote:Naval Battle Rules: The Seas of Cerilia
by Rich Baker

This supplement expands the Birthright domain and War Card rules to handle sea travel and combat. Players can use the sample navies included for Anuirean, Khinasi, and Rjurik kingdoms as guidelines to tailor fleets to meet the needs of their own domains. Special maps illustrating the maritime areas surrounding Cerilia make it easy to add a naval dimension to any campaign. The Birthright Naval Battle Rules contain: * The Seas of Cerilia, 16-page book detailing the rules for naval battles in the BIRTHRIGHT game, including sea movement, ship types, naval armament, sea trade routes, and battles on the water. * A set of 51 naval War Cards featuring game statistics for the vessels of all the lands of Cerilia, as well as special wind cards governing movement at sea, and cards describing naval war magic. * Counters for indicating crew capacity and ship movement rate. * A full-color, poster-sized naval battle mat for ship-to-ship combat.
I didn't realise that Birthright had this.

Is this a bit like Battlesystem, but with ships?

How do the combat rules compare to Spelljammer ship combat? Can I take Birthright ships and use them in Spelljammer (and vice-vera)?

Is there some sort of "Birthright wars" plotline that encourages PCs to fight major sea battles, or is this mostly a sea-trading game, with the combat rules being there for dealing with pirates and privateers?

Are there any non-Birthright products that are useful for adding more details to a Seas of Cerillia campaign?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

The Dark
Hill Giant

Re: Naval Battle Rules: The Seas of Cerilia

Post by The Dark »

It's similar to the War Card system from the Birthright core rules. I'm pretty sure the same rules were included in the Khinasi supplement (Cities of the Sun). Since I have Cities but not Seas of Cerilia, the rest of this is based on the rules from the Khinasi set.

Ships have numerous stats:
# of hits (ranging from 1 for a dhow, coaster, or longboat to 4 for a galleon)
Maneuverability class (from A to D)
Defense (from 1 to 4)
Missile Attack (from none to 4)
Boarding Attack (from 1 to 5)
Morale (from 1 to 3)
Rowing Speed (from none to 2)

Sailing speed depends on wind strength, angle of wind, and maneuverability class (A is fastest, D is slowest). It would be possible to convert war card stats to Spelljammer, although it would take some thinking, since everything is galleon-sized or smaller. I'd probably have it be something like: each hit is 10 tons, drop all MCs by 2 or 3, have AC be 10 minus defense (so 9 to 6), each point of missile attack is a single medium weapon, and ignore boarding attack, morale, and rowing speed (maybe give +1 MC for a ship with a rowing speed).

It's more of a war game than a trading game; trade is abstracted into trade routes, but there's a tabletop wargame. Fleets are useful in war because each Naval War Move is 1 day, while a land War Move is 1 week, so ships are the fastest ways to move armies. It does have rules for one-on-one ship combat, making it more granular by allowing captains to select weapons. The normal weapons are the arbalest, shot ballista, catapult, fire thrower, and mangonel.
Arbalests cannot damage ships, but inflict 3d3/2d4 damage on crew. Up to 4 can be carried per hull point (so 4-16 for a ship).
The shot ballista does 0-1 damage to a ship - if it hits, roll 1d4, and if it's higher than the ship's defense, it takes 1 damage. Up to 2 can be mounted per hull point, and it does 1d8/1d10 damage against normal targets.
The catapult is a 30-pound launcher. It deals damage like a shot ballista, but rolls on 1d8 instead of 1d4. A ship with 2 HP can mount 1, and a ship with 3+ HP can mount 2. It deals 2d6/2d8 to crew.
The fire thrower is a Greek Fire siphon. It inflicts 1d3-1 hull damage, regardless of defense, and deals 3d6 damage to crew. Only one can be mounted, and many commanders dislike it.
A mangonel is a 10-pound launcher. It deals damage like a shot ballista, but rolls on 1d6. One can be mounted per hull points, and it does 1d8+1/2d6 against crew.

The ship types with War Cards in Cities of the Sun are:
Khinsai: Dhoura, Zebec, Dhow
Anuirean: Caravel, Galleon
Brecht: Cog, Roundship
Vos: Drakkar
Rjurik: Knarr, Longship
Other: Serpent Galley, Coaster

The other TSR naval products are Of Ships and the Sea and Sea of Fallen Stars (for Forgotten Realms). I no longer have either, but there might be some useful bits in them. Dragon #232 had "Weapons of the Waves," an article containing weapons and ships for sea battles.
The petard is a catapult-launched bomb. It adds 1 to a ship's missile rating. Against characters, it does 3d6 damage. In one-on-one combat, it rolls 2d8 against defense, and each success is a point of damage (the dice are examined separately, not added together).
The dragon is a light cannon, firing a 2-4 pound ball. It adds 1 to a ship's missile rating, and deals 1d12/1d20 against crew. One-on-one, it rolls 1d6 against defense.
The bombard is a heavy cannon, firing a 60-90 pound ball. It adds 2 to a ship's missile rating, and is cumulative if dragons are carried as well. It does 2d10/3d10 against crew, and does a flat 1d4-2 hull damage, ignoring defense.
The article also adds the Dromond, Greatship, and Galleass.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

The Dark wrote:It's similar to the War Card system from the Birthright core rules. I'm pretty sure the same rules were included in the Khinasi supplement (Cities of the Sun). Since I have Cities but not Seas of Cerilia, the rest of this is based on the rules from the Khinasi set.

Ships have numerous stats:
# of hits (ranging from 1 for a dhow, coaster, or longboat to 4 for a galleon)
Maneuverability class (from A to D)
Defense (from 1 to 4)
Missile Attack (from none to 4)
Boarding Attack (from 1 to 5)
Morale (from 1 to 3)
Rowing Speed (from none to 2)

Sailing speed depends on wind strength, angle of wind, and maneuverability class (A is fastest, D is slowest). It would be possible to convert war card stats to Spelljammer, although it would take some thinking, since everything is galleon-sized or smaller. I'd probably have it be something like: each hit is 10 tons, drop all MCs by 2 or 3, have AC be 10 minus defense (so 9 to 6), each point of missile attack is a single medium weapon, and ignore boarding attack, morale, and rowing speed (maybe give +1 MC for a ship with a rowing speed).

It's more of a war game than a trading game; trade is abstracted into trade routes, but there's a tabletop wargame. Fleets are useful in war because each Naval War Move is 1 day, while a land War Move is 1 week, so ships are the fastest ways to move armies. It does have rules for one-on-one ship combat, making it more granular by allowing captains to select weapons. The normal weapons are the arbalest, shot ballista, catapult, fire thrower, and mangonel.
Arbalests cannot damage ships, but inflict 3d3/2d4 damage on crew. Up to 4 can be carried per hull point (so 4-16 for a ship).
The shot ballista does 0-1 damage to a ship - if it hits, roll 1d4, and if it's higher than the ship's defense, it takes 1 damage. Up to 2 can be mounted per hull point, and it does 1d8/1d10 damage against normal targets.
The catapult is a 30-pound launcher. It deals damage like a shot ballista, but rolls on 1d8 instead of 1d4. A ship with 2 HP can mount 1, and a ship with 3+ HP can mount 2. It deals 2d6/2d8 to crew.
The fire thrower is a Greek Fire siphon. It inflicts 1d3-1 hull damage, regardless of defense, and deals 3d6 damage to crew. Only one can be mounted, and many commanders dislike it.
A mangonel is a 10-pound launcher. It deals damage like a shot ballista, but rolls on 1d6. One can be mounted per hull points, and it does 1d8+1/2d6 against crew.

The ship types with War Cards in Cities of the Sun are:
Khinsai: Dhoura, Zebec, Dhow
Anuirean: Caravel, Galleon
Brecht: Cog, Roundship
Vos: Drakkar
Rjurik: Knarr, Longship
Other: Serpent Galley, Coaster
Thanks for that.

It looks like the stats would not be directly transferable, but that there are enough ships in both rules, that it might be possible to make guesses for conversions, based on the most similar ship.

Arbalests and mangonel are weapons I've not heard of before. I think they could be raided for Spelljammer. Does the book have pictures? :twisted:

I wonder if balista could be converted for use with the Birthright system.

The Dhoura, Zebec, Dhow, Roundship, Knarr Serpent Galley and Coaster are ships that I don't think I"ve seen before. Do they have deckplans?
The Dark wrote:The other TSR naval products are Of Ships and the Sea and Sea of Fallen Stars (for Forgotten Realms). I no longer have either, but there might be some useful bits in them.
I've had DMGR9 Of Ships and the Sea on my RADAR for a number of years, but it's always pricey. I'll have to add Sea of Fallen Stars to my Forgotten Realms Wishlist.
The Dark wrote:Dragon #232 had "Weapons of the Waves," an article containing weapons and ships for sea battles. The petard is a catapult-launched bomb. It adds 1 to a ship's missile rating. Against characters, it does 3d6 damage. In one-on-one combat, it rolls 2d8 against defense, and each success is a point of damage (the dice are examined separately, not added together).
The dragon is a light cannon, firing a 2-4 pound ball. It adds 1 to a ship's missile rating, and deals 1d12/1d20 against crew. One-on-one, it rolls 1d6 against defense.
The bombard is a heavy cannon, firing a 60-90 pound ball. It adds 2 to a ship's missile rating, and is cumulative if dragons are carried as well. It does 2d10/3d10 against crew, and does a flat 1d4-2 hull damage, ignoring defense.
A petard sounds fun. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

The Dark
Hill Giant

Post by The Dark »

Big Mac wrote:Thanks for that.

It looks like the stats would not be directly transferable, but that there are enough ships in both rules, that it might be possible to make guesses for conversions, based on the most similar ship.
Pretty much. There could also be some variability, since not all caravels are exactly the same.
Arbalests and mangonel are weapons I've not heard of before. I think they could be raided for Spelljammer. Does the book have pictures? :twisted:
An arbalest is a heavy crossbow, and a mangonel is a light catapult, like an onager.
I wonder if balista could be converted for use with the Birthright system.
I think I'd mostly use Spelljammer weapons, and use the missile rating to determine how many weapons it can carry. If I was doing a direct conversion, I'd probably have the shot ballista as light catapult, mangonel as medium catapult and catapult as heavy catapult, even though that would massively over-arm most of the ships (an Anuirean galleon would have 8 light, 4 medium, and 2 heavy, compared to a Spelljammer galleon having 1 light and 2 medium weapons). Then again, the Spelljammer galleon is a small galleon, at only 130' x 30', when compared to late, large sea-going galleons like the Adler von Lubeck (257' x 48') or San Juan Bautista (182' x 37') or Vasa (226' x 38'), so a larger galleon is certainly within reason.
The Dhoura, Zebec, Dhow, Roundship, Knarr Serpent Galley and Coaster are ships that I don't think I"ve seen before. Do they have deckplans?
No, Birthright tended to be a bit more abstract with its combat system. I believe Al-Qadim's Golden Adventures has Zebec and Dhow deckplans.
The Dark wrote:Dragon #232 had "Weapons of the Waves," an article containing weapons and ships for sea battles. The petard is a catapult-launched bomb. It adds 1 to a ship's missile rating. Against characters, it does 3d6 damage. In one-on-one combat, it rolls 2d8 against defense, and each success is a point of damage (the dice are examined separately, not added together).
Yeah, the cannon probably shouldn't be put in, since they're clearly better than the Spelljammer bombard, but the idea of an explosive catapult round is intriguing. It would obviously be unsafe and unusable in the phlogiston, and that much smokepowder would be ludicrously expensive, but it's interesting.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave »

Just to note that if you are looking for naval warfare rules for Battlesystem, there is a 1st Edition Battlesystem naval expansion in Dragon Magazine #109 I believe.

The Dark
Hill Giant

Post by The Dark »

NPCDave wrote:Just to note that if you are looking for naval warfare rules for Battlesystem, there is a 1st Edition Battlesystem naval expansion in Dragon Magazine #109 I believe.
There's s 2nd Edition one in issue #165 ("Anchors & Arrows," by Thomas M. Kane). I don't remember anything in issue #109; the earliest ship rules I can recall are Margaret Foy's rules in issues #116 and #130.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Thanks for that.

Pretty much. There could also be some variability, since not all caravels are exactly the same.
An arbalest is a heavy crossbow, and a mangonel is a light catapult, like an onager.
Thanks. I'm wondering if weapons that are "too small for Spelljammer combat", could be used at point-blank range, when ships come alongside to grapple and board. Presumably, if defenders have no intention of boarding, and if they hold onto their weapon positions, they could fire at the decks of the other ship to try to cut people down, or try to damage the ship.
The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder if balista could be converted for use with the Birthright system.
I think I'd mostly use Spelljammer weapons, and use the missile rating to determine how many weapons it can carry. If I was doing a direct conversion, I'd probably have the shot ballista as light catapult, mangonel as medium catapult and catapult as heavy catapult, even though that would massively over-arm most of the ships (an Anuirean galleon would have 8 light, 4 medium, and 2 heavy, compared to a Spelljammer galleon having 1 light and 2 medium weapons). Then again, the Spelljammer galleon is a small galleon, at only 130' x 30', when compared to late, large sea-going galleons like the Adler von Lubeck (257' x 48') or San Juan Bautista (182' x 37') or Vasa (226' x 38'), so a larger galleon is certainly within reason.
Thanks. It does seem that these systems are all a reinvention of the wheel.

Someone in the SJ community (it might have been Night Druid) suggested that there would be a variation in size on the SJ hull designs anyway. So different sized galleons should be possible.
The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The Dhoura, Zebec, Dhow, Roundship, Knarr Serpent Galley and Coaster are ships that I don't think I"ve seen before. Do they have deckplans?
No, Birthright tended to be a bit more abstract with its combat system. I believe Al-Qadim's Golden Adventures has Zebec and Dhow deckplans.
Thanks. I'll have to go hunt that down. :)
The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Yeah, the cannon probably shouldn't be put in, since they're clearly better than the Spelljammer bombard, but the idea of an explosive catapult round is intriguing. It would obviously be unsafe and unusable in the phlogiston, and that much smokepowder would be ludicrously expensive, but it's interesting.
Is there a fuse on the petard, or does it explode on impact?

I think that the giff would want to get hold of bigger bombards. But I think it could be possible that the people of Cerilia have better technology for building them and that weaker metal from elsewhere explodes more frequently.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

The Dark wrote:
NPCDave wrote:Just to note that if you are looking for naval warfare rules for Battlesystem, there is a 1st Edition Battlesystem naval expansion in Dragon Magazine #109 I believe.
There's s 2nd Edition one in issue #165 ("Anchors & Arrows," by Thomas M. Kane). I don't remember anything in issue #109; the earliest ship rules I can recall are Margaret Foy's rules in issues #116 and #130.
Thanks Dave/The Dark.

I think that the sea rules area of rules, is one of these things that D&D keeps reinventing instead of evolving. It's a bit frustrating.

They seem to do the same with their miniatures rules.

If they would evolve some of these areas of D&D, we could convert between editions more easily. (A SRD for ships and seamonsters would also have been really useful.)

I guess that, if I wanted to run a Seas of Cerilia game, I would be trying to import everything to the Birthright system, rather than toss it out...unless it looked like one of the other systems was clearly superior.

If I ran a SJ game that went to Ceriliaspace (or whatever the name for the sphere is) I would probably want to keep the flavour of Seas of Cerilia, but swap the rules for ones compatible with SJ ship combat rules.

The Dark
Hill Giant

Post by The Dark »

Big Mac wrote:]If I ran a SJ game that went to Ceriliaspace (or whatever the name for the sphere is)
I'd follow Knightfall's example and go with with Aebrynispace. Cerilia is a continent on Aebrynis. We really know very little about the planet. Cerilia itself is smaller than Europe, and we know almost nothing about the rest of the planet and (I believe) literally nothing about what lies beyond the planet. There's a tiny bit about part of Aduria (the continent south of Cerilia), but it covers very little. On the one hand, it's useful as a tabula rasa. On the other hand, there's a lot of work to be done because there's nothing there. One potentially interesting thing for a Spelljammer tie-in is that there are no orcs in Cerilia or the known portion of Aduria. The "tougher than goblins but not as tough as ogres" humanoids for Birthright are orogs.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave »

My mistake, Dragon #109 has a War Machine (Companion Box set) update. Dragon #165 had the (1E) Battlesystem article I was thinking of.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:If I ran a SJ game that went to Ceriliaspace (or whatever the name for the sphere is)
I'd follow Knightfall's example and go with with Aebrynispace. Cerilia is a continent on Aebrynis. We really know very little about the planet. Cerilia itself is smaller than Europe, and we know almost nothing about the rest of the planet and (I believe) literally nothing about what lies beyond the planet. There's a tiny bit about part of Aduria (the continent south of Cerilia), but it covers very little. On the one hand, it's useful as a tabula rasa. On the other hand, there's a lot of work to be done because there's nothing there. One potentially interesting thing for a Spelljammer tie-in is that there are no orcs in Cerilia or the known portion of Aduria. The "tougher than goblins but not as tough as ogres" humanoids for Birthright are orogs.
This is great, but it's getting a bit off-topic, so I've started up a new: "[Aebrynispace] References to space in Birthright products" topic, so that I don't continue to derail my own topic. :)

The Dark
Hill Giant

Post by The Dark »

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:11 pm
How do the combat rules compare to Spelljammer ship combat? Can I take Birthright ships and use them in Spelljammer (and vice-vera)?
So, four years later, here's a rough guesstimate for each ship mentioned in Cities of the Sun and Dragon #232:

Dromond (Khinasi) - 20,000 gp
Tonnage: 4 tons (SJ), 10 tons (HJ)
MC: C
AR: 9
1 Weapon
60'x16.4'x10'

Greatship (Anuirean, Rjurik) - 40,000 gp
Tonnage: 57 tons (SJ), 153 tons (HJ)
MC: E
AR: 8
2 Weapons
140'x36.5'x30'

Galleass (Anuirean, Khinasi) - 28,000 gp
Tonnage: 19 tons (SJ), 50 tons (HJ)
4 Weapons
100'x25'x20'

Caravel (Anuirean) - 12,000 gp
Tonnage: 4 tons (SJ), 11 tons (HJ)
MC: D
1 Weapon
60'x18'x10'

Coaster (Anuirean, Brecht) - 4,000 gp
Tonnage: 1 ton (SJ), 1 ton (HJ)
AR: 10
No weapons
20'x5.7'x10'

Cog (Rjurik, Brecht) - 10,000 gp
2 Weapons
60'x18.9'x10'

Dhoura (Khinasi) - 8,000 gp
1 Weapon
60'x18'x10'

Dhow (Khinasi) - 4,000 gp
Tonnage: 1 ton (SJ), 1 tons (HJ)
AR: 10
No weapons
20'x5.5'x10'

Drakkar (Vos) - 16,000 gp
Tonnage: 3 tons (SJ), 9 tons (HJ)
MC: F
No weapons
60'x15.7'x10'

Galleon (Anuirean) - 30,000 gp
Tonnage: 62 tons (SJ), 168 tons (HJ)
AR: 7
2 Weapons
140'x40'x30'

Knarr (Rjurik) - 12,000 gp
1 Weapon
60'x18'x10'

Longship (Vos, Rjurik) - 6,000 gp
Tonnage: 1 ton (SJ), 1 ton (HJ)
No weapons
20'x5.5'x10'

Roundship (Brecht) - 24,000 gp
Tonnage: 25 tons (SJ), 67 tons (HJ)
AR: 7
4 Weapons
100'x33.3'x20'

Zebec (Khinasi) - 34,000 gp
Tonnage: 21 tons (SJ), 57 tons (HJ)
AR: 9
3 Weapons
100'x28.6'x20'

My methodology: Of Ships and the Sea, combined with Dragon #250, gives a total of 5 ship sizes: Small (19 feet or less), Medium (20-59 feet), Large (60-100 feet), Very Large (101-139 feet), and Huge (140+ feet). Naval War Cards have 1 to 4 hits. Vessels with one hit were assigned the minmum Medium length, 2 the minimum Large length, etc. This gives us a minimum for each ship; they can be played around with to generate larger ships of the same class*.
Each ship also has a Seaworthiness stat. OS&S notes that this is loosely based on beam. The stat varies from 12 to 18. I divided that stat by 6 (to get a number between 2 and 3) and subtracted that number from 6 to get a number between 3 and 4. I then divided the length by that number to get a beam. It's a bit complicated to explain, but basically the higher the Seaworthiness, the wider the ship.
For height, I used the Hull Size minus 1 to and gave the ship that many 10' high decks, with a minimum of 1.
Multiplying these together gave the total cubic footage, which was multiplied by .037037 to calculate cubic yards and divided by 100 for SJ tonnage, or just divided by 1000 for HJ tonnage.
Prices are straight from the sources, at the conversion rate of 1 GB = 2,000 gp. Some ships are overly expensive, generally because of a lack of seafaring tradition (Rjurik and Vos) or because a ship is built only for war and is thus rarer than the dual-purpose war/trade ships (Zebec).
MC is the ship's Birthright MC, minus 2 classes for being a groundling vessel.
AR is 11 minus the ship's Defense, so Defense 1 is AR 10, etc.
The number of Weapons is the ship's Missile rating. Most of them would enter space with a larger number of weak artillery primarily intended for anti-personnel use (see below) and would need to be retrofitted with better weapons after entering Wildspace.
I don't have crew estimates or cargo capacity, but most should have large crews. The cargo measure for ships in Birthright is based on value, not weight. Ships with an AR of 9 or 10 save as Thin Wood, the remainder as Thick Wood.

The arbalest does 3d3 (character scale) damage, shot ballista does 1d8 damage, the mangonel 1d8+1, and the catapult 2d6 - the last of those is equivalent to a light ballista, so none of these should do hull damage against Spelljammer vessels. However, all of the weapons except the arbalest can fire incendiary shot. For each point of damage dealt by an incendiary shot, there is a 5% chance of the target ship needing to make a saving throw vs. fire or suffer a Fire critical hit (i.e. a shot ballista firing incendiary shot and hitting has a 5-40% chance of forcing its target to make a save vs. Fire). Naturally, incendiary shot cannot be used in the phlogiston.

Coasters, dhow, and longships can mount 4 arbalests, 2 shot ballista, and 1 mangonel. Dromonds, caravels, cogs, dhouras, drakkars, and knarrs can mount 8 arbalests, 4 shot ballista, 2 mangonels, and 1 catapult. Zebecs and galleasses can mount 12 arbalests, 6 shot ballista, 3 mangonels, and 1 catapult. Greatships and galleons can mount 16 arbalests, 8 shot ballista, 4 mangonels, and 1 catapult. Roundships can mount 12 arbalests, 6 shot ballista, 3 mangonels, and 2 catapults. Most of the smaller ships will mount fewer weapons, since they are trading ships and weapons cost money. Larger ships are more likely to be war ships and mount most or all of their possible weapons.

Rare ships might be armed with hellpowder weapons, which Brecht and Khinasi alchemists have been experimenting with for the past generation; the dragon is an anti-personnel weapon that does 1d12 damage and replaces arbalests on a 1 for 1 basis, while bombards are large-bore, short-barreled cannon firing stones weighing 60-90 pounds and dealing 2d10 damage (equivalent to a SJ light catapult, so 1d2 hull damage); they replace mangonels (while not in the rules as written, I would also allow them to replace catapults). Petards are explosive ammunition that can be flung from a mangonel or catapult to inflict damage as a medium ballista (3d6 hit points/1d3 hull points). None of the hellpowder weapons can be used in the phlogiston.

Ranges are in tens of yards, so all of the weapons are same-hex only except for the catapult, which has a range of 1 hex in Spelljammer. Given the lack of a surface for shots to hit, I would argue for a skilled gunner (average or better crew quality per the Concordance of Arcane Space) being able to double these ranges, at which point the catapult would have a 2 hex range and everything else except the shot ballista a 1 hex range.
Arbalest - crew 3, range 10/20/40, THAC0 per shooter, ROF 1/3, 350 gp
Shot ballista - crew 4, range 5/10/15, THAC0 12, ROF 1/4, 800 gp
Mangonel - crew 3, range 8/16/24, THAC0 14, ROF 1/5, 1000 gp
Catapult - crew 6, range -/20/50, THAC0 16, ROF 1/6, 2000 gp
Dragon - crew 3, range 8/16/24, THAC0 13, ROF 1/3, cost not listed
Bombard - crew 8, range 5/20/40, THAC0 15, ROF 1/5, 10000 gp

*For example, a maximum size Roundship is 139'x46.3'x20', and is 48 SJ tons or 129 HJ tons instead of the 25/67 of the minimum size. The 20' 1/1 ships become 2/5 if doubled in length to 40'. A king's prestige galleon might be 200'x57.1'x30' and be unable to fly in Spelljammer at 127 tons, but mass in at 343 tons in Hackjammer.

Return to “Birthright”