[Sea People ] Al-Kalim's Journey to the Undersea

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Sea People ] Al-Kalim's Journey to the Undersea

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 pm

I was doing some research on Al-Kalim's pilgrimages (quest for Immortality) for our Planes of Mystara article in Threshold Magazine #19. I also noticed that Al-Kalim spent quite some time in the Undersea. I wonder if some of this information can be used to expand on the PC3 Sea People setting.

Here are a few things:
  • Al-Kalim voyaged with Northmen in order to obtail the oil of the mighty Dendan, whose oil would bestow the ability to breathe under water. During these adventures, he encountered sea serpents, pirates and a deranged captain.
  • Facing hurricanes and tital waves as tests from Protius, Al-Kalim was ship wrecked on an unknown island where he was rescued by a friendly Djinn.
  • On his next voyage he was captured by Mermen and forced to be a slave for the Merrow King untill he befriended the King and ended up commanding Merrow forces against the Kingdom of the Crabmen (See Threshold #19 for Crabmen stats).
  • Al-Kalim now travelled with Merrow companions along the sea floor in search of the realm of the Old Man of the Sea.
  • After a series of encounters with the guardians of the sea mount (?) he was allowed into the presence of the Immortal. He would return to the sea mount again once he had completed all the tests and was ready to ascend to Immortality.
A more detailed description of the above can be found in Gaz2 p 64.

What can this tell us about the Undersea? Do these things match up with information from PC2?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Patrick
Bugbear

Re: [Undersea] Al-Kalim's Journey to the Undersea

Post by Patrick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 am

Neat! My copy of Gaz2 is packed away... does it specify which sea he was under? Doesn't seem to match up to well with the Triton Kingdom of Underseas (PC2, beneath the Sea of Dread). I'd say the Western Sea of Dawn likely makes the most sense, since he voyaged with Northmen. Maybe as far as the Eastern Sea of Dawn, if the unknown island was nearer Thothia (for the Djinn). I can't think of any other sources that discuss what lies beneath the Sea of Dawn, so warring Merrow and Crabmen kingdoms sound good to me.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:35 am

I agree that the Western Sea of Dawn is more likely than Undersea.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 am

Sorry, I used the term Undersea to refer simply to areas below the sea that are home to sea people races rather than the specific Triton Kingdom. I see that caused some confusion. I agree that Al Kalim probably travelled through the seas outside Ylaruam and the Northern Reaches, but probably beyond that as well.

Do you think these regions from Gaz2 could be used to expand a PC3 campaign? We know that Ierendi has a many followers of Al Kalim and is also often visited by Kna. Coincidence?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [Sea People ] Al-Kalim's Journey to the Undersea

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am

I think it would be better to use the information in Al Kalim's journey to detail new submarine nations. Kna are undersea's caravaneers, so it makes sense that they visit neighbouring regions.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:54 am

agathokles wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am
I think it would be better to use the information in Al Kalim's journey to detail new submarine nations. Kna are undersea's caravaneers, so it makes sense that they visit neighbouring regions.

GP
Yes I agree. Although the nations below the Western Sea of Dawn would likely have contact with the Sunlit Sea. Good point about the Kna. Other contact might be possible as well.

I wonder if the great Dendan would be related to King Milen's Leviathan somehow.

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 am

Interesting, crabmen probably need also to live partially over the waters, so maybe in the coasts of the Isle of Dawn, Ochalea and the Alatians? or even to Arypt. It is likely that the Alaysian were brought to Ylauruam by the Nithians from the southern Isle of Dawn, I think that is hinted in canon and I included the former Alaysian lands in the Isle of Dawn in Threshold issue #11.
I also included some North Africa inspired people and places in Arypt in Threhold issue #5, as it is likely to be a region where the Nithian arrived and already inhabited by culturally similar people (as Lhomarrians and Varellyans could be modelled on Atlanteans and Fenicians). This also could be a region where Al Kalim travelled and where he plans to expand his religion (added also a hint to this in Threshold issue #19)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 pm

For crabmen, you can check the following references:
Crabman

According to the Mystaran Almanacs, Crabmen are found in Tlik’kkil; a nation on Davania’s Northern Coast, far West of Kastelios. Like many AD&D aquatic races, Crabmen could appear as members of the underwater empires mentioned in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium Appendix.

Crabmen of Tlik’kkil have a loose society based along class. Clerics, rogues, wizards and warriors form four clans living in different regions. Their government is mostly unstructured, having only a wise crabmen council ruling over individual families. Crabmen are quite hospitable with foreigners.
References

Terra Incognita, A voyage to the Uncharted South by F. Defferrari; Mystaran Almanac 1018.
That said, crabs are found in almost any climate, and so the crabmen can reasonably appear in the Isle of Dawn or other northern regions -- even off the coasts of Norwold. Probably there would be different subspecies, much like the Rakasta and Lupin on land. I would think a culture of Hydrax-worshipping giant crabmen in the colder seas could be appropriate...

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:14 pm

agathokles wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 pm
For crabmen, you can check the following references:
Crabman

According to the Mystaran Almanacs, Crabmen are found in Tlik’kkil; a nation on Davania’s Northern Coast, far West of Kastelios. Like many AD&D aquatic races, Crabmen could appear as members of the underwater empires mentioned in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium Appendix.

Crabmen of Tlik’kkil have a loose society based along class. Clerics, rogues, wizards and warriors form four clans living in different regions. Their government is mostly unstructured, having only a wise crabmen council ruling over individual families. Crabmen are quite hospitable with foreigners.
References

Terra Incognita, A voyage to the Uncharted South by F. Defferrari; Mystaran Almanac 1018.
Nice!

What does the SCMC say about underwater Empires?
That said, crabs are found in almost any climate, and so the crabmen can reasonably appear in the Isle of Dawn or other northern regions -- even off the coasts of Norwold. Probably there would be different subspecies, much like the Rakasta and Lupin on land. I would think a culture of Hydrax-worshipping giant crabmen in the colder seas could be appropriate...
I LOVE these ideas!

Ice Crabs and Hermits could be different blood lines for Crabfolk.

Karkinos the Crab is from Greek mythology. Possibly a Crabman Immortal, if we need one? Or a Monster Ruler?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:20 pm

In Southpark you also have crabpeople, weak humanoids taken refuge underground having a reasonable society, based on awkward ideas...
something I always found somewhat D&D-ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5wmDhzgY8
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Return to “Mystara”