Isle of Dread GMG Edition - What does this mean for Mystara?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Isle of Dread GMG Edition - What does this mean for Mystara?

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:44 pm

As NPC Dave reported in the D&D 5E forum here at The Piazza, Goodman Games are continuing their series revisiting classic D&D modules that started with Keep on the Borderlands. The second book in this series will feature full reprints both Classic D&D versions of the Isle of Dread (Blue and Red Cover versions).

X1 the Isle of Dread is important to Mystara since this is the first time Mystara's Known World saw print, both with a map of The Continent and a page describing the countries that would later be explored in the Gazetteers.

This means we will be seeing a product that features new material (5E rules adaptation at least), and will undeniably be set in Mystara.

What are your thoughts on this announcement, fellow Mystara fans? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Re: Isle of Dread GMG Edition - What does this mean for Mystara?

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm

I didn't report this, unfortunately (for me). NPC Dave broke the news here first!
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Y'know, I completely spaced the fact that the Known World (that later became Mystara) all started with Isle of Dread. That simple staple page fold out 2 page map spread started it all.

And when it did start, it felt on the very same level of wild eyed wonderment and joy that the 1981 Greyhawk Folio brought to me.

Here was a world just wide open and ripe for the pickin! The world was mine, and I could do anything I wanted with it!

This is what got me hooked into the Known World Gazetteers, and if I had them all, I'd be leafing through those pages for campaign ideas still. And I'd gear up my Cook/Marsh Expert rules to make it happen, setting up encounter areas, towns, cities, villages, cave lairs & dungeons - just like Isle of Dread taught me.

Only this time, instead of the B and X thin rule softbacks (along with the timely advice from B1 & B2 by Mike Carr and Gary's own microcosm adventuring wilderness examples), I have no less than seven 5e rulebooks (PHB, MM, DMG, SCAG, VGtM, XGtE, MToF so afar...) to comb through for ideas. :shock:

Oh, the times, they are a'changin'. But that ain't all bad. 5e is a different beast, if not advanced, it is colorful. ;)

And Mystara? This will be Mystara's first entry into 5e, if you don't count the (silent) inclusion of B1 & B2 into the Known World, as we all did bitd in various random, and the far too few official suggestions where to place those 'modules' in some publication long after the release of those worthies. :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:21 pm

It's hard to say, having not seen what all they did with the B1/B2 book... Here's hoping they go full-on "Here' is the Known World, but if you want to use it in your own setting or a pre-published one..."
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Lord Kjeran
Goblin

Post by Lord Kjeran » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm

I doubt it means little for Mystara in 5e,. However, it will be nice to have a 5e update available.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Goodman Games (GMG) did a simple, easy 5e take on the B1 dungeon and the B2 Borderlands. They didn't go hogwild, but they did offer a few new encounters, and brought back some characters from Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (that was originally released for TSR's 25th anniversary AD&D2e system).

GMG didn't try to blatantly shoehorn B1 & B2 into the Forgotten Realms or anywhere else, nor did they offer suggestions IIRC - like most WotC modules have done previously.

My guess is that GMG will stick very faithfully to the original presentations of X1 - of which there are two; the original Blue cover version designed for use with Marsh/Cook's Expert rules, and the Orange cover version which was re-tooled for the Mentzer Expert rules. I have both, and there are subtle/not-so-subtle differences in the modules.

This may be a problem for me, as I personally prefer the original Blue version end-game. But GMG could present either version for their 5th edition entry - or hopefully offer BOTH versions as options, to include as many fans of both in X1's adaptation to 5e.

One thing I can bet on: GMG will most likely stick to the enormous hardback format that they used for "Into the Borderlands", which is good for them as far as printing costs go, but it is very unwieldy at the table.

The book itself starts out with interviews with Mike Carr, other luminaries involved with TSR at the time, GMG writers that re-wrote B1 & B2 for 5e, and others. The book then presents two distinct versions each of B1 and B2, and they also offer some alternate M&TA options to use with the 5e version of B1's beginner DM modular dungeon format, and GMG writer's take on the Borderlands of B2.

Oh, the book also offers maps from each original version (so there are a LOT of maps!) and color covers from each version presented too. Its a nice art gallery, and the book looks great on your shelf with the rest of your 5e books.

I would have preferred a coffee table style presentation of B1 & B2, including separate softcover 5e versions of B1 & B2 with removable 2 panel maps for easier handling during play, but that's just me. :mrgreen:

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Interesting. I doubt it necessarily means anything for Mystara, per se, from a 5E revival standpoint. From the sounds of it, they are going to be redoing the module for 5E, and just including reprints of the orange and blue X1 modules as part of the package.

That said, the Known World overview that formed the basis for Mystara is a very prominent 1 page in both versions of the module, so if they are including reprints as part of the package, that information will be back in the modern D&D player lexicon, so who knows. Maybe someone will see those pages and be excited enough to dive further into their history and associations and maybe there will be a resurgence of interest in Mystara after all.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm
I didn't report this, unfortunately (for me). NPC Dave broke the news here first!
Yikes!

Fixed now. Apologies to NPC Dave :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:58 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:54 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm
Yikes!

Fixed now. Apologies to NPC Dave :)

-Havard
:mrgreen:

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:26 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm
My guess is that GMG will stick very faithfully to the original presentations of X1 - of which there are two; the original Blue cover version designed for use with Marsh/Cook's Expert rules, and the Orange cover version which was re-tooled for the Mentzer Expert rules. I have both, and there are subtle/not-so-subtle differences in the modules.

This may be a problem for me, as I personally prefer the original Blue version end-game. But GMG could present either version for their 5th edition entry - or hopefully offer BOTH versions as options, to include as many fans of both in X1's adaptation to 5e.
Care to elaborate a bit on this? I only have the orange-cover version which came with the Mentzer Expert Set. What are the difference with respect to the original version?

GP

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 am

The are slightly different mobsters in the two versions (e.g the original has sea dragons as the encounter in the bay - a monster not in the new expert set). The main difference I noticed was in the central structure - in the new version there is a huge carved face in the wall, the mouth being a passage leading in and the eyes being windows to the room above the passage; the old version had the face much smaller above the passage leading in - and an extra picture on the map to show how the connections worked (single map with two levels of rooms at that point) - something my DM at school got wrong just using the new version without the extra picture.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 am

Khedrac wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 am
The are slightly different mobsters in the two versions
The blue cover originally had Irish mobsters, whereas the revised orange/red cover used Sicilians. :P
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am

RobJN wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 am
Khedrac wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 am
The are slightly different mobsters in the two versions
The blue cover originally had Irish mobsters, whereas the revised orange/red cover used Sicilians. :P
LOL! I'll have to stick with the orange cover version, then!

GP

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:52 pm

heh - shows I have played too many MMORPGs; though I notice that "mob" seems to be the accepted term for non-player opponents in computer games and some fantasy environments these days, and that's without people know that "mob" is short for "mobile".

Excuse me while I go and clean my glasses.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:27 pm

There is different artwork in both versions (notably, the Blue cover features artwork of phanatons and full-body kopru that is absent- sadly- in the orange cover). There are also some monsters that only appear in the Blue cover module back matter, and were excised from the Orange cover version for some reason, IIRC.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm

The excised monsters I think were all ones dropped from the newer version of the Expert set; they were put into the first Creature Catalog when it came out.

I have both versions so if someone asks nicely I can go and compare the two.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:15 am

Khedrac wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm
The excised monsters I think were all ones dropped from the newer version of the Expert set; they were put into the first Creature Catalog when it came out.
I believe that is correct. Several monsters from the original Expert Set were simply renamed too, so I think there are only a few monsters that only reappeared in the CC.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:42 pm

very nice, Watch and wait till it appears
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:15 am
<snip gif>

-Havard
....You've changed your hair? I thought you always sported the two braids look, to go with that viking helm of yours, Havard..... :lol:
Rob

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Does someone batting their eyes at me count as asking nicely? - The consenus looks to be "yes" so here goes...

General points:
The artwork is dfferent (which I won't mention again), the new version crediting art to Timothy Truman (and editing to Tim Kilpin).
The wilderness maps have been redrawn (even the two-colour versions) with slightly different symbols, but all the content is the same.
All the maps have been re-lettered and in some cases (see below) the numbering has changed. Notably the compass rose on the Blue players' map was hand-labelled and replaced by a printed one in the new players' map.

Starting with the card cover: (I will number encounters with map number/encounter number)
The Orange (new) version has a perforated edge third page with the master version of the players' map (edges mapped only) in glossy colour on the outside and a blue and white image of the letter on the inside. In the Blue (old) edition these are the back page of the paper booklet (perforated for removal).
The inside covers have maps for "taboo Island" - Temple Levels 1 2 and 3 - maps E-9, E-10 and E-11 (old) or maps 12, 13 and 14 (new).
The encouters on the maps have been re-numbered - on the old maps each encounter area in independently numbered from 1 (or from A for map E-11) and the new maps are continuously numbered with all the other encounters (so from 30 for what was E-9 encounter 1).
The maps are almost identical with one intentional and 2 (I think accidental) changes:
Room E-9/5 had a expansion picture showing how the room goes over a tunnel mouth in the wall (see my earlier post), while room 12/34 does not have the cut-away but labels the area above the passage as "A" - a labelling not in the old map.
Both map symbols keys include one for "altar", but the new map omits the altars in rooms 12/37 and 13/42 which are clearly shown in E-9/8 and E-10/5.
The players' maps are functionally identical, except that the new version has the native trail into the interior end at the vertex of a hex so one cannot tell which one it exits to, on the old verison the direction is clear.
The letters are very similar (thouh the old one is much easier to read being in a clear font and decent sized typface) but there are a few differences:
1) The old letter spells the village of Tanaroa as Tanoroa.
2) The old letter has the sentences "The village contains a number of huge life-like statues of iron, bronze and stone. Since no village currnetly has the skill or the craft to make such statues, the tale of a lost city built by the 'gods' seems reasonable." at the start of the penultimate paragraph; these sentences are missing from the new version - I wonder if this to stop the PCs trying to steal the staues?
3) The old last paragraph contains the sentence:
"We were afraid to land, since village fishermen had warned us that it was extremely dangerous to land anywhere on the main island and the coasts were rocky with no beaches."
The new version is:
"We were afraid to land, since village fishermen had warned us that trying to land anywhere on the main island would be extremely dangerous, as the coasts were rocky and without beaches".
4) Finally, the new version is "signed" with a drawing of a large fish (head of a sperm whale, but upright tail) and the intials 'RB; with the 'B' backwards, the old version is signed 'Rory Barbarosa' (written to make the last 'a' look like a 'y' or possibly a 'aj').

That's all for today (I spent most of the day going up to London for a guided walk - the geology one if people are interested, it was very good, check out walks.com). More tomorrow afternoon.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:02 am

Thanks for posting the changes in the Blue v. Orange versions, Khedrac. I cannot do it as easily, as I don't have internet at home where my books are. :oops:

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:01 pm

OK - I'm back. Moving on to the maps.

Interestingly all the old module maps are perforated for easy removal despite being centre pages (except for the letter and players' map as earlier covered) - this isn't something I had noticed before as it is well enough done not to fall apart through limited use. The new maps are centre pages with instructions to remove by opening and closing the stables.

Map E-1/Map 2 - Village of Tanaroa - essentially identical except that the text has been re-done which storngly suggests they had the original master copy of the map without labels to update.
Map D-1/Map 1 - The Isle of Dread - identical with two differences - font and the village names. The locations numbers are identical so the only change of substance is that the villages on the defended peninusla and nearby islands are named on the new map (except for Tanaroa) but not named on the original map.
Map E-2/Map 3 - General Cave Lair #1
Map E-3/Map 4 - General Cave Lair #2
Map E-5/Map 7 - Rakasta Camp
Map E-6/Map 8 - Aranea Lairs
Orignally the first two maps were on one page and the second two another, but in the new version they are combined into one page.
The maps are functionaly identical, but there's a key difference which actually makes it look as if they are not! In both cases the latter two maps are labelled as 1 square = 10', but originally the first two had a note of 1 square = 5' next to the title for general lair 2 strongly implying that lair 1 should be as well; this label is missing from the new version so the only scale guide is the 10'/square from the other two maps. Most DMs will run the caves twice as big as they are acutally supposed to be,
The labelling of the Rakasta map changes from 6 'R1's, 3 'R2's and 'R3' and 'R4' to '9a1' to '9a6', 3 '9b's, '9c' and '9d'.
The Aranea map has been relabelled from A1, A2 and A3 to 14a, 14b and 14c.
Map M-1/Map 6 - The Continental Map/The Continent. Interestingly both maps seem to have accidental errors, though (so far as I can see) they are otherwise identical except for fonts.
The old map has forgotten to colour in the lakes so they're not actually drawn as lakes - there appear to be three on the map - Lake Amsorak and two un-named in Rockhome (Stahl and Klintest), of these one (Lake Klintest) is also not coloured in on the new map!
The new map has left off the two "trails" on the map - Darokin to Selenica and Castelland to Soderfjord ("trail" is still in the key, there are just none shown on the map.
Map E-4/Map 5 - Pirate Lair - the usual comments apply, it has been renumbered from P1 to P5 to 7a to 7f (P6, the wall isn't labelled on the old map).
Map E-6/Map 9 - Phanaton Settlement - usual comments, plus renumbering from PH 1 to PH 6 to 10a to 10f. Curiously the old map had a ruler scale equating to 5'/square, the new map more sensibly filled what was the scale box with a statement of 5'/square.
In the old module the final two are not on a removal page - they are on a regular page with text on the back:
Map D-2/Map 10 - Central Plateau - usual caveats, renumebred from 1 to 5 to 25 to 29.
Map E-8/Map 11 - Village of Mantru - usual font caveats, and they have added a label to the stockade wall.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Ignoring the general text and concentrating on actual module substance:

The Continent(al) Map - the country descriptions are in different orders, but seem to be identical except for Thyatis where the new version contains the sentence "Trade routes for this area are given in the D&D® Expert rule book."
The old module slips a pronunciation table in before the Weather and Climate section which contains a couple of minor differences: the old version clarifies "the Pacific South Seas islands" as "(Oceana)" and the last sentance has been reworded from ending "similar to that of Denmark" to "similar to Denmark's climate".

The DM's copy of the players' letter has the same spelling miskate for the village name (Tanoroa) as the hand-out copy - so it looks like this is an possibly intentional as a mistake on the part of the letter's author.

The letter is variously described as a parchment log, a parchment ship's log and a ship's log - since it was written in hidden ink I don't think it can be regarded as a ship's log so I will keep calling it "the letter" for consistency.

Under Preparation the new module gives a worked example for calculating the seaworthiness of an old decrepit boat.
Both modules make the comment (under inheriting a boat) that there's an inheritance tax of 10% - did anyone remember that ruling for Karameikos? - I didn't.

Wandering Monsters
The first 4 entries on table 1 have been swapped round between the two versions, but the number appearing have been swapped with them
roll - Old - New
1-2 - Dryad - Bee, Giant
3-5 - Ghoul - Dryad
6-29 - Human - Ghoul
30-32 - Killer Bee - Human
I very much prefer the original 23% chance of encountering natives rather than the new 23% ghouls - I think natives make more sense.

Table 2 has defintely been messed around with:
9-10 - Centaur has been changed to sabre-toothed tiger
11 Cyclops becomes Centaur
12-17 Dire Wolf becomes 12 Centaur and 13-17 Dire Wolf.
44-49 Mastodon become Prehistoric Elephant
and then it gets complex:
Old:
78-82 Rock Baboon
83-86 Sabre-toothed Tiger
87-92 Titanothere
93 Treant
New:
78-84 Rock Baboon
85 Treant
86-93 Triceratops

Table 3 is also complicated:
Old:
62-64 Roc
65-71 Stegosaurus
72-79 Trachodon
80-82 Treant
New:
62-68 Roc
69-76 Trachodon
77-82 Treant

And that will do for now.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Moving into the main encounters proper I am only going to cover the substance of the encounter, not how they change the wording:

The village of Tanaroa looks the same, but it is big enough I have not done a word-by-word comparison.
I am skipping encounters that are the same in both versions (to cut down on spoilers).

Encounter 2:
Old - 5 bull sharks
New - 4 crocodiles
A switch from 2HD to 6HD creatures, but the sharks have mainly over average hp with the crocs all having below average.

Encounter 6:
Old - giant squid
New - water termite
Both mainly a threat to the ship, the squid is far more dangerous to the party (and it will be noticed) - the termite is likely to be missed until the ship sinks.
Same treasure.

Encounter 7
Old treasure includes 17 gems worth 1,700gp total, New treasure reduces that to 1,300gp - obviously someone has sneaked in and substitued inferior gems!

Encounter 14:
The bugbear guards have had their hp reduced from 16 and 14 to 11 and 10 - for 3d8+1 this is now below average (but not as bad as the crocs).

Encounter 24:
Old - sea dragon, new sea hydra

Next up is the Central plateau - do people want me to continue?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Yes, please go on! Reading this with great interest! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”