What non-standard PC races would you allow in your next Mystara Campaign? (Any edition)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

What non-standard PC races would you allow in a Mystara Campaign?

Savage Coast Race (Rakasta, Lupin, Tortle. Specify in post)
14%
Shadowelf
16%
Gnome
17%
Fey/Sylvan Race (like anything from PC1. Specify in post)
11%
Aerial Creature (anything from PC2. Note Gnomes are a separate entry. Specify in post)
8%
Underwater Creature (Anything from PC3. Specify in post)
6%
Lycanthrope (Anything from PC4, Specify in post)
9%
Half-Orc or Humanoid/Goblinoid (Anything from Gaz10. Specify in post)
12%
Later Edition Race (Tiefling, Dragonborn, Goliath, Drow, Half-dragon, Eladrin. Specify in post)
5%
Other (Specify in post)
3%

Total votes: 129

Cerulean
Goblin

Re: What non-standard PC races would you allow in your next Mystara Campaign? (Any edition)

Post by Cerulean » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Sturm wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am
You were not replying to me
I took in everything you wrote above and I accept your point, my post was over-stated in its delivery and some phrases (so I edited it). Admittedly, I let certain side remarks in a few posts (some were on another thread) to get under my skin a bit. Though, the main point of the latter half of my post was “let’s all still be open-minded to other D&D editions we might not play often (or ever)”.
Sturm wrote:
but I failed to see any kind of 4ed bashing in this thread, certainly not in the phrases you quoted above,
It’s not a lot of posts (and it is not quite edition “bashing”) but there is a small vein of “I don’t like [3rd, 4th, 5th] edition because of x, y, and z”. Sometimes it is ok, if done politely. But, what I am referring to directly is a few posters that interject this “dislike” into threads that are specifically about using newer D&D editions with Mystara.
Sturm wrote:
All the people who commented above were suggesting ways to use later editions races in Mystara. Some instead said they do not want to use them.
The overall majority of them are great and that's ok to discuss one's preferences. A few people did, however, make small, but distinctly negative, comments about editions of D&D they don’t like.
Sturm wrote:
There isn't any kind of organized opposition to 4th edition here, indeed there was also a Mystara 4E Conversion Project sub-forum above, as you can see.
I never said there was organized opposition to any edition here. What I did do is fail to specify the amount—there is only a little criticism about newer D&D editions by a few posters. From my perspective, it is pretty rude, but I understand that we are all different, and may see things much differently.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: What non-standard PC races would you allow in your next Mystara Campaign? (Any edition)

Post by Sturm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 am

People are free to dislike any D&D edition and say so, until they do it politely, but in general The Piazza discourages any kind of generical criticism of settings or editions because as Big Mac said often, it is basically to say "your kind of fun is wrong" and that's not particularly nice nor productive.
Still I more or less follow all the forum and I have not seen many negative comments, but I may have missed them.
Anyway the Mystara forum in particular is open to fans of all editions and there isn't any kind of prejudice here about any edition, even if several fans may prefer some over others.
We had many threads about using Mystara with 4th and 5th edition products and I think we will continue to see them in the future, so I would encourage you to rest assured this forum and most of its users are certainly open minded about all D&D editions.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Sturm wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 am
People are free to dislike any D&D edition and say so, until they do it politely, but in general The Piazza discourages any kind of generical criticism of settings or editions because as Big Mac said often, it is basically to say "your kind of fun is wrong" and that's not particularly nice nor productive.
Still I more or less follow all the forum and I have not seen many negative comments, but I may have missed them.
Anyway the Mystara forum in particular is open to fans of all editions and there isn't any kind of prejudice here about any edition, even if several fans may prefer some over others.
We had many threads about using Mystara with 4th and 5th edition products and I think we will continue to see them in the future, so I would encourage you to rest assured this forum and most of its users are certainly open minded about all D&D editions.
Based on my own observations, I agree. I enjoy both classic and new versions of D&D and other games, and don't care for edition bashing in either direction. One of the things I love about The Piazza is that the negativity is nearly nonexistent compared to other forms of RPG-related social media. I just want to talk about the games and settings that I enjoy, learn about new ones, and engage in interesting conversations. And by far that's the experience that I see here. Not to say I've never seen any negative statements, but I'm super thankful it's pretty rare.

As someone who plays modern edition far more often than classic ones, I've enjoyed topics like this one in the Mystara sub-forum. I'm comfortable being in the minority as long as the majority talks about their preferences without putting down mine (or others').
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Cerulean wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 am
Wallara are chameleon-men. So, they are essentially lizard-men right, not reptilian.
Lizards are reptiles.
Also, 4th edition dragonborn do not have wings (or tails for that matter). Just thought I’d clarify the details for those that didn't know.
That's not entirely true. dragonborn in 4e are not born with wings, but can get them at higher levels. The original dragonborn in 3.5e could have wings from the start.

GP

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm

agathokles wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 pm
That's not entirely true. dragonborn in 4e are not born with wings, but can get them at higher levels. The original dragonborn in 3.5e could have wings from the start.

GP
Huh, I didn't realize that. Though I'm happy they don't have wings in 5E (at least by default, anyway).

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm

Hugin wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm
agathokles wrote:

GP
Huh, I didn't realize that. Though I'm happy they don't have wings in 5E (at least by default, anyway).
Things change with the editions. I was just trying to explain why I've always associated the dragonborn with the Mystaran krolli rather than (e.g.) the wallara, although there is a large difference in terms of background both between the various Mystaran reptilian races and the dragonborn and among the different iterations of the dragonborn themselves (mainly 3.5e vs 4e, AFAIR 5e does not deviate too much from 4e lore).

GP

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Hugin wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm
agathokles wrote:
Yeah, in 4th Edition there's a paragon path that grants dragonborn wings and a per-encounter flight power at 11th level. Another grants wings and both the encounter power at 11th level and at-will flight at 16th level. And there's an epic destiny that grants wings and at-will flight at 24th level for any dragonborn that didn't pick up one of the previous paragon paths.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “Mystara”