Elderkin ("Shi Nodri") Class

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Elderkin ("Shi Nodri") Class

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 am

Known as Shi Nodri to the Peswha Nomands, the Elderkin class was introduced in the Blackmoor Players Guide (3.5) and later appeared in the D&D4E version of Blackmoor "The First Campaign". What do people make of this class?

My original assumption was that the Wokan, Elderkin and Idolator were later edition adaptations of the "Monster Spellcaster Classes" from BECMI

BECMI CLASS == BLACKMOOR 3E&4E CLASS
(Monster) Shaman == Idolater
Wokan (aka Wicca) == Wokan
(Monster) Druid == Elderkin

I sometimes think Idolater and Elderkin might be reversed in terms of their BECMI "equivalences". Elderkin are in close contact with "Spirit Guides" and the dead, while Idolaters do have some powers over corporeal undead. Idolater's follow lesser "Gods" of nature to which they create their Idol figurines.

4E seems to have further refined these classes, moving them far away from their possible BECMI origins. Elderkin are now specificially focused on dealing with the spiritis of the dead. They are Divine Controllers. Idolaters, by comparison in 4E are described as Spiritual Controllers. Spiritual Power is a new power source introduced in Blackmoor 4E, which is very interesting, but something they never had a chance to develop further.

Overall, I like the 4E interpretations of these classes. Even if you don't play 4E, I recommend reading through them if you are considering using Elderkin as a concept in your games.

I'm still not very confident in my ability to make 5E classes, but I think introducing Elderkin as Druidic Subclass, a kind of "Death Druid" could be interesting. By comparison I am considering Idolaters as a Cleric Subclass or perhaps a Warlock Pact, while the Wokan might work as a Sorcerer Subclass.

What do you think of Elderkin? I am interested in opinions about both rules (any edition) and the role of the class in the setting!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: Elderkin ("Shi Nodri") Class

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 am

I think part of this may be linked to Ethengar Gazetteer (Mystara), where the Ethengarians (that under quite a few points of view are similar to Peshwar) have Spirit Guides etc.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:12 am

Havard wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 am
Idolaters, by comparison in 4E are described as Spiritual Controllers. Spiritual Power is a new power source introduced in Blackmoor 4E, which is very interesting, but something they never had a chance to develop further.
-Havard
The concept of Spiritual Power can be translated easily into the Primal Power of 4e. I translated the Idolaters as somehow druids or shamans.

While, for Elderkin I suggested my players to re-skin the Invoker class. But nobody wanted to try an Elderkin yet.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 am
I think part of this may be linked to Ethengar Gazetteer (Mystara), where the Ethengarians (that under quite a few points of view are similar to Peshwar) have Spirit Guides etc.

Excellent point. The Ethengar Gaz works really well as a supplement for fleshing out material on the Peshwa, especially if you're running Blackmoor with the BECMI rules. As you say their culture isn't exactly the same, but there are enough similarities to make use of it.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:21 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:12 am
Havard wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 am
Idolaters, by comparison in 4E are described as Spiritual Controllers. Spiritual Power is a new power source introduced in Blackmoor 4E, which is very interesting, but something they never had a chance to develop further.
-Havard
The concept of Spiritual Power can be translated easily into the Primal Power of 4e. I translated the Idolaters as somehow druids or shamans.

While, for Elderkin I suggested my players to re-skin the Invoker class. But nobody wanted to try an Elderkin yet.

I agree with you there. I am not sure why the Blackmoor 4E design crew wanted to create a separate Power that was unique to Blackmoor. Sadly they never got to do much more with it outside this class since there was never more 4E material for Blackmoor, so looking back the Spiritual Power looks fairly redundant. It is possible that they just felt it was needed to separate Idolaters from Elderkin.

What's the Invoker Class?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:32 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:21 pm
What's the Invoker Class?

-Havard
Invoker was a divine class for introduced in the 4e PHB 2. They are people who has a small shard of divinity inside of them (usually, but not always, a shard of a dead god), not powerful enough to elevate them into demigods but enough to give them access to divine magic. You can say they are "divine sorcerers".

Return to “Blackmoor”