Alphabets

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Raymond
Gnoll

Alphabets

Post by Raymond » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 am

I thought I saw a DragonLance product that shows the alphabets for dwarvish, elvish, and the magical writing. I can't seem to find it. Can anyone confirm this and where they are?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Alphabets

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 pm

I think I've seen something like that...but it was for Forgotten Realms.

If there are alphabets for Dragonlance, I'd love to see them too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:38 pm

A Dragonlance fan, called Thomas, recommended that you try out a book called The History of Dragonlance.

He said it contains an article, called "A Preliminary Treaties ont he Runes of the Ancient Ogre", that shows some ogre runes and another article, called "Translations of the Vallenwood Scrolls", that shows some other written symbols that look a bit more like an alternative-alphabet.

And someone from the Dragonlance Nexus team said there is a language category on Dragonlance Lexicon, so you can check out all the various articles. Plus James O'Rance created a Languages of Ansalon article for 3rd Edition D&D, that lists several different alphabets that are used by various related languages.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Digitalelf
Gnoll

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:55 pm

The only sources of actual alphabet characters I know of, appeared in Forgotten Realms and the 2nd Edition of Mystara.

However, there is a lot of information about alphabets and languages of Dragonlance in the 3rd edition campaign setting book (but no examples of specific alphabetic characters).
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 am

The 5th edition Player's Handbook includes the Dwarven, Elvish, and Draconic scripts (pages 122-124).

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks, I found what I must have seen in the "Mystara - DM Survival Kit." It's Dwarvish Alphabet Key, Elvish Alphabet Key, and Magical Alphabet Key. The Elvish Alphabet Key doesn't match what is in CM7. Hmm.

The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Box Set (Original) on page 8 (of Cyclopedia of the Realms) has common runes, Silver Elven alphabet, and Dwarven runes.

This History of DragonLance has ogre runes.

Return to “Dragonlance”