[Threshold] Call for Contributors issue 26!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

warriorneedsfood
Hobgoblin

Re: [Threshold] Call for Contributors and more!

Post by warriorneedsfood »

Robin wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:27 pm

I like the art, truly, and it still resembles a T-rex. :mrgreen:
I did not know Ka was that masochistic to add all those piercings though :o :roll: ;) ...(I still like the image though :D )
Ka is incredibly, indescribably and fantastically old. If evolution is a thing at all in Mystara it makes him older than continents. But he hasn't ascended to the higher planes and joined the Old Ones. Why? Because as powerful and intelligent as he is, he is also primordial and primitive. His existence developed to a point and stopped, like approaching a logarithmic limit or ceiling he cannot grow past. That is why he takes things and keeps them in a giant menagerie. (Hollow World) He is stuck in time and wants everything around him to be still, stable, and constant. Standing in the presence of Ka would slow your mind. Ka makes you accept the things you would otherwise want to change. Your soul would start to rest and no longer desire. Everything would start to be just as it should be. Ka has no functional arms and wears no clothes. The raiments of his Throne as the Eldest of the Gods (the word God and Immortal are interchangeable) are bound to his form, and how you perceive that is between you and Ka. Ka is not a masochist, he is Ka. Where you see piercings, I see him wearing his true names, his Rank in the Hierarchy, and his powerful magics. You are the one that sees the piercings. All I drew was Ka.

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles »

Robin wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:25 pm
stanles wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:34 am
Robin wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:22 pm
What when proofreading is done to my work, is first checking if any of the suggestions or questions are answered. First then react to these and then start resolving what remains (or rejecting If I am not content with a suggestion.

I noticed lately, some proofreaders/editors worked on my work, ...no problem...yet I am not receiving a mail with the changes/suggestion done.
I don't know if this is due Google docs or the editors, yet I am afraid if I have this issue, others might too.

When I proofread, I read the text, then make suggestions based on linguistics (as far as I know/feel), D&D related info, or otherwise as I go. When I return I first check the responses on my suggestions.
And I hope they receive my suggestions.
That could be the source of a great deal of the problems. Has anybody else noticed this - or does anybody have notifications actually being sent?
In my case about half the suggestions I do not get a notification email of. I have to discover these myself. The other Half I do get these mails. Often these are suggestions with text/questions added, not mere suggestions in the text which seem to be the brunt of not send by mail
Robin, that is a concern - as these are the things which it are usually most crucial to get feedback from the authors for.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

warriorneedsfood wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 pm
Robin wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:27 pm

I like the art, truly, and it still resembles a T-rex. :mrgreen:
I did not know Ka was that masochistic to add all those piercings though :o :roll: ;) ...(I still like the image though :D )
Ka is incredibly, indescribably and fantastically old. If evolution is a thing at all in Mystara it makes him older than continents. But he hasn't ascended to the higher planes and joined the Old Ones. Why? Because as powerful and intelligent as he is, he is also primordial and primitive. His existence developed to a point and stopped, like approaching a logarithmic limit or ceiling he cannot grow past. That is why he takes things and keeps them in a giant menagerie. (Hollow World) He is stuck in time and wants everything around him to be still, stable, and constant. Standing in the presence of Ka would slow your mind. Ka makes you accept the things you would otherwise want to change. Your soul would start to rest and no longer desire. Everything would start to be just as it should be. Ka has no functional arms and wears no clothes. The raiments of his Throne as the Eldest of the Gods (the word God and Immortal are interchangeable) are bound to his form, and how you perceive that is between you and Ka. Ka is not a masochist, he is Ka. Where you see piercings, I see him wearing his true names, his Rank in the Hierarchy, and his powerful magics. You are the one that sees the piercings. All I drew was Ka.
WOW Awesome description. totally sold, I liked the art already, though with a question mark, yet cool very cool
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

stanles wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:56 pm
Robin wrote:
stanles wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:34 am
Robin wrote:
What when proofreading is done to my work, is first checking if any of the suggestions or questions are answered. First then react to these and then start resolving what remains (or rejecting If I am not content with a suggestion.

I noticed lately, some proofreaders/editors worked on my work, ...no problem...yet I am not receiving a mail with the changes/suggestion done.
I don't know if this is due Google docs or the editors, yet I am afraid if I have this issue, others might too.

When I proofread, I read the text, then make suggestions based on linguistics (as far as I know/feel), D&D related info, or otherwise as I go. When I return I first check the responses on my suggestions.
That could be the source of a great deal of the problems. Has anybody else noticed this - or does anybody have notifications actually being sent?
In my case about half the suggestions I do not get a notification email of. I have to discover these myself. The other Half I do get these mails. Often these are suggestions with text/questions added, not mere suggestions in the text which seem to be the brunt of not send by mail
Robin, that is a concern - as these are the things which it are usually most crucial to get feedback from the authors for.
I agree. I felt frustrated sometimes (between RL issues and trying to maintain some control over my work) when I noticed a multitude of suggestions i was unaware off. Though often online due my ongoing mapping, these were easily resolved, yet only those wth an added text I did receive. I do not know how others have received this when I , Allen, You or other did proofreading. If they did encounter this similarly. It seems to be a google feature flaw according my Diginerd I asked today. His solution was; as proofreader always send at least one text to alarm the author to check the suggestions. SO we could add a standard text to a suggestion each time we added several suggestions as proofreader, as to alarm the Author to check the suggestions done, and answer/resolve questions.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Indeed some additional mails to alert authors about open comments could be easily sent, I'll remember this for the future..
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Even as Proofreaders we could do so by just adding a suggestion text to the title and suggest viewing/resolving comments. As far I have noticed these text suggestions do arrive .
And when we do so each time we finish a section of Proofreading, I think the authors would become aware of our work and are more eager to react.
Maybe add an extra mail to each author when submitting how to resolve, react upon suggestions, as some might be unknown how to do so in Gdocs.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Regarding Ka: excellent art! I think the comment is also worth including with the art itself :-)

Regarding suggestions: I think for proofreading suggestions it is a good idea to add a single comment to state one has finished the proofreading, and possibly additional comments when there is a need of more direct intervention (e.g., the meaning of a sentence is unclear).

GP

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

agathokles wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 am
Regarding Ka: excellent art! I think the comment is also worth including with the art itself :-)

Regarding suggestions: I think for proofreading suggestions it is a good idea to add a single comment to state one has finished the proofreading, and possibly additional comments when there is a need of more direct intervention (e.g., the meaning of a sentence is unclear).

GP
Totally agree ;)

That was what I meant indeed.

warriorneedsfood
Hobgoblin

Post by warriorneedsfood »

agathokles wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 am
Thanks!! But my interpretation of Ka is rather non-canonical. If a comment on the art is included, I would adjust it to fit closer to the Mystara standard set by the printed material.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Well, part of the purpose of the explanation is to clarify the elements that have been elaborated beyond canon.
Still, of course you can modify the caption to better fit.

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Hi all - I'm back from holiday and catching up om various things.

I'd like to drop in a few comments on the subject of proof reading that has been raised.
Robin wrote:

Robin wrote:
As I think Robin has found, Google Docs does not automatically send notifications to a document's author if edits/suggestions are made. In fact I think this wouldn't work practically in our case as by and large the article manuscripts are often "owned" by the Threshold Mystara team... so Docs might be confused as to who should be notified on edits/suggestions.
Notifying an author by email that edits/suggestions have been would necessitate the proof reader having the email (or other contact) for the author
In the meantime, at least a proofreader gets a notification when a response has been made to one of their edits/suggestions/comments.
Robin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:33 am
I agree. I felt frustrated sometimes (between RL issues and trying to maintain some control over my work) when I noticed a multitude of suggestions i was unaware off. Though often online due my ongoing mapping, these were easily resolved, yet only those wth an added text I did receive. I do not know how others have received this when I , Allen, You or other did proofreading. If they did encounter this similarly. It seems to be a google feature flaw according my Diginerd I asked today. His solution was; as proofreader always send at least one text to alarm the author to check the suggestions. SO we could add a standard text to a suggestion each time we added several suggestions as proofreader, as to alarm the Author to check the suggestions done, and answer/resolve questions.
Sturm wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:01 am
Indeed some additional mails to alert authors about open comments could be easily sent, I'll remember this for the future..
Robin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:11 pm
Even as Proofreaders we could do so by just adding a suggestion text to the title and suggest viewing/resolving comments. As far I have noticed these text suggestions do arrive .
And when we do so each time we finish a section of Proofreading, I think the authors would become aware of our work and are more eager to react.
Maybe add an extra mail to each author when submitting how to resolve, react upon suggestions, as some might be unknown how to do so in Gdocs.
Seems to me that the best approach we can take is as proposed:
inset a "proof reading " comment at the start of the article, which the proof reader updates as they progress through the article (remember that the length/complexity of the article may mean that the proof reader has to process it in stages - case in point: Robin's article for issue #24 is between 80 and 90 pages long in Docs or 47,000+ words....)
So it would then be necessary for authors to check the status of this initial comment on the article.

From the other side of the fence it's also necessary that authors identify and flag where they have added content after a proofreader has started working on their document - having got about a third of the way through Robin's issue #24 article before I went on holiday, I've just looked at it and found that a section of about 500 words had been inserted prior to the point that I had marked as "proof read to here".

A couple of other observations:
The default editing mode on Docs is "Editing" which means that if someone alters something, the edit is done without any note being flagged; if you select "Suggesting" than any alterations are noted, the original text is struck through and the alterations appear in a coloured text. It can be too easy to start up in the "Editing" mode" as opposed to the "Suggesting" so there is a danger that some changes will not be noted.
Do we need to use the "Suggesting" mode for obvious typos, incorrect punctuation and the like? should they just be directly edited. I agree that we need to use "Suggesting" mode for text that is unclear/needs more explanation etc, or where the phrasing is mangled.
In my particular position with responsibility for the final layout of the publication, when I'm proof reading an article I'm also thinking how best to format it on the pages of Threshold, so in addition to "pure" proof reading I will be making suggestions for structural changes, e.g. reordering sections, or presenting information in a different manner.

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

In very lenghtly articles with lots of typos to correct, as for example happened in articles of authors who does not have english as a mother language, it is just impossible to use suggesting mode for everything. The google doc file clogs and becomes unreadable. The editors have to use editing mode for these and leave suggesting only for major corrections. And this also applies to phrases which are just wrong in common english. In some cases the editor has to rearrange them to make them understandables. I am usually able to notice that in some articles of authors who use typical romance-languages phrase construction which just does not work in english.
The same also applies when a proofreader leaves many comments/suggestions and the author has not answered after 1-2 weeks. The editors may warn the author about these comments to address, but will have to resolve them themselves if the author does not reply.
The best we can do is to send an extra mail of warning to the author if an article has unresolved comments/suggestions but if the author does not reply relatively quickly, then we'll have to step in.
I've always told authors the above guidelines when starting proofreading, but I will make sure to stress out these points next time.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

I agree to Sturm on this.
Authors should actually be checking their work regularly, a pity some don't
Although I can also understand possible frustration when personal input is changed, altered or removed. That is difficult to some, yet belongs to a magazine. I also don't always understand a conflict issue on my works, yet with communication we get to the right solution. and without communication?...then the work you created loses its bond with you, and changes, inevitable.

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles »

Sturm wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:15 pm
In very lenghtly articles with lots of typos to correct, as for example happened in articles of authors who does not have english as a mother language, it is just impossible to use suggesting mode for everything. The google doc file clogs and becomes unreadable. The editors have to use editing mode for these and leave suggesting only for major corrections. And this also applies to phrases which are just wrong in common english. In some cases the editor has to rearrange them to make them understandables.
I'd be comfortable with starting to do this.
Sturm wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:15 pm
The same also applies when a proofreader leaves many comments/suggestions and the author has not answered after 1-2 weeks. The editors may warn the author about these comments to address, but will have to resolve them themselves if the author does not reply.
Though this comes back to the other side of my concern - they should be resolved interactively with the proofreader - not just "ticked off". Too often then last minute resolution by the editor either doesn't resolve the problem, or, they make it worse.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye »

Robin wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm
I Noticed this Link
https://www.scribd.com/document/3278503 ... Pandiu-pdf
Which gives access to a Threshold magazine
They reveal only a few pages and then to see more you need a paid (money) membership to see the rest.
I don't know if this is allowed. nor if you can do something against it.
As far as I know it is ok to share the magazine, not earning money by it.
Just so you know
What they do on that page is in violation of just about any paragraph in any law on copyright, trademarks, etc, since the contents were uploaded without the appropriate permissions of the owners of the IP-rights comprised in the document. Providing a host is, in that respect, of no excuse, since the reproduction from the host to any user happens without consent of the copyright holder (i.e. Threshold Magazine).

It may be possible for Threshold Magazine to have the contents removed if editors (chief editor) contacted the host (scribd.com) and asserted the copyrights of Threshold. For the related infringement of WOTC's trademarks, obviously WOTC has to act.

Tom

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

I saw the problem especially in the fact they request a paid membership to download/read Threshold which is normally free. I find it of no respect earning money indirectly maybe of work that is free.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Just a bump to say the deadline for issue 24 articles is approaching. Indeed we are already proofreading some of the existing articles and will begin with the others soon. I will also write a mail to authors in the next days.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Bump to say the deadline for issue #24 has passed. Now we are finalizing proofreading and layout for the issue which will be hopefully published by end November/Early December.
Next issue, to be published in end March/early April 2020 will have Strongholds as the main theme.
Proposal Deadline for issue #25 will be December 15th, 2019 and Manuscript Deadline February 15th, 2020
Send yours!

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: [Threshold] Call for Contributors issue 25!

Post by Sturm »

Call for contributors update for issue 25!

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

warriorneedsfood wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 am
Let me know what you think.... Ka the Prortector!!

https://tkotblimages.justinpfeil.com/im ... tector.jpg

EDIT: Oops, he's Ka the Preserver
Hi Justin as Warriors of Eternarl Sun was split with a third part to be published in issue 25 due to space and time constraints, your wonderful image of Ka will be reserved for the grand finale of that adventure.
As always if you want to draw anything else for the magazine, it is always more than welcomed.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

keeping this thread up at least until the end of the month as it's time to propose articles for issue #25, Strongholds!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Hmmm.... I might have something for #26... :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

I've got a few somethings in mind for # 26... or maybe one big something..?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

LoZompatore
Stone Giant

Post by LoZompatore »

Count me in! :mrgreen:

An article describing the three fortresses at the border betwee Verdan and the lands of Jen.

Tentative title: "Alphatian bastions of the untamed east"

Expected page counts: 20-30 pages of written text plus at least 4 pages of images (three castle plans plus a regional hexed maps). Castle plans may easily double at two pages per castle.

The setting will be between GAZ-era and WotI (around AC 1003) and described from the perspective of the crew of an Alphatian imperial supply skyship from Faraway touching the three fortresses along its route.
That's my plan, so far. ;)

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

LoZompatore wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:52 pm
Count me in! :mrgreen:

An article describing the three fortresses at the border betwee Verdan and the lands of Jen.

Tentative title: "Alphatian bastions of the untamed east"

Expected page counts: 20-30 pages of written text plus at least 4 pages of images (three castle plans plus a regional hexed maps). Castle plans may easily double at two pages per castle.

The setting will be between GAZ-era and WotI (around AC 1003) and described from the perspective of the crew of an Alphatian imperial supply skyship from Faraway touching the three fortresses along its route.
That's my plan, so far. ;)
oeh ..intriguing :P ;)

Return to “Mystara”