Have I been too hard on the Rise of Solamnia trilogy?

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Have I been too hard on the Rise of Solamnia trilogy?

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:33 am

I think it's no secret that I wasn't the biggest fan of the Rise of Solamnia trilogy. Normally I like Douglas Niles as an author, but I was put off by three things in this trilogy:
  • The structure of the Knights of Solamnia did not match existing game material.
  • There was thinly-veiled allegories to political figures of the time.
  • The inclusion of gunpowder.
I have to wonder, though. Am I being too harsh? Was this trilogy better than I gave it credit for?

What do you think?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

apotheot
Ogre

Re: Have I been too hard on the Rise of Solamnia trilogy?

Post by apotheot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Its been a decade since I read it, but I do remember at least the first part you are mentioning...and feel like I might remember the third. I feel like I need a referesher on much of the plot.... but I would chock some of this up to artistic licence and the extreme changes that occurred in the world first in the years between the Chaos War and War of Souls, and then after the War of Souls.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:33 am
I have to wonder, though. Am I being too harsh? Was this trilogy better than I gave it credit for?

What do you think?
I wasn't aware you hated the series, but given the things listed I can't blame you. :) I've never read the series, or most DL novels so I can't really comment on the overall quality of the series. That said, I think we get a little more forgiving with age. Gunpowder really doesn't bother me; I think dislike of it in the game can be overblown but IMHO so long as its treated as an oddity, rarely seen outside of pistols and the rare canon (almost mythical artifacts), I don't have a problem. Heck, a tinker gnome "invented" nukes (even if conceptually as a joke) so guns are the least of the problems ;)

Political allegories bother me more, if only because most the time they're both terribly ham-fisted and become very dated. Done well they can create timeless stories, but more often than not they're done very, very poorly. As for the structure of the Knights, I guess structures can change and evolve over time; no system remains constant.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:47 am

Well, what were the plus sides to the trilogy? I barely recall a single character or plot point, which is damning in and of itself.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:16 pm

I've not read the Rise of Solamnia trilogy, but I do recall the depection of the Knights of Solamnia in the Chronicles Trilogy not matching up with what I was expecting from Dragonlance Adventures.

The rulebook had given me an idealised "perfect" version of the Knighthoods, complete with a rank structure, while the novels gave me an organisation that was on the brink of falling apart.

The same applies to the Wizards of High Sorcery, to be honest, with the rulebooks giving details on the Towers of High Sorcery and the novels coming up with reasons why none of the towers were accessible.

I'll have to have a read of this trilogy, at some point, to see what vibes it can give the nation...and the knights.

I can't seem to work out where these novels fit in with the history of Solamnia.

The Solamnia article on Dragonlance Nexus doesn't seem to mention them. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:16 pm
I've not read the Rise of Solamnia trilogy, but I do recall the depection of the Knights of Solamnia in the Chronicles Trilogy not matching up with what I was expecting from Dragonlance Adventures.

The rulebook had given me an idealised "perfect" version of the Knighthoods, complete with a rank structure, while the novels gave me an organisation that was on the brink of falling apart.
I also haven't read the books. I think I must have missed them even coming out. However, I did read a few reviews online, so my comments will be based on that. What you are saying here is true Big Mac, but that is mainly the difference between the knights in the rulebooks vs the Chronicles and Legends trilogies. Rise of Solamnia it seems is set after the War of Souls. Actually that should give us even more leeway for having them be different from the rulebooks.

It is interesting that the Knights have been able to reclaim most of their lands at this point. I think I might want to read these just to find out more about what happens to Krynn.

Not sure how I feel about gunpowder. I think D&D gamers used to have an unnecessary skepticism towards including it in their games. It is not like gunpowder equals modern firearms. including them would help make the post War of Souls setting be very different from past ages of Krynn. On the other hand, Krynn already has dragonlances as the unique weapon of the setting.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Dragonlance”