Has anyone converted Pathfinder Adventure Paths to Greyhawk?

Gary Gygax's original D&D world, where Dungeons & Dragons came to life in the greatest show on Oerth!
The Book-House: Find Greyhawk products.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Has anyone converted Pathfinder Adventure Paths to Greyhawk?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:38 pm

I was just reading Talsine's Age of Worms and the other Paizo 3E adventure paths topic.

It struck me that Paizo didn't stop making Adventure Paths. They just got stopped from making Adventure Paths for Dragon Magazine...

...so they started making them for Pathfinder Campaign Setting instead.

According to Wikipedia there are 26 Adventure Paths for Pathfinder Campaign Setting:
  • Rise of the Runelords (August 2007)
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne (February 2008)
  • Second Darkness (August 2008)
  • Legacy of Fire (February 2009)
  • Council of Thieves (August 2009)
  • Kingmaker (February 2010)
  • Serpent's Skull (August 2010)
  • Carrion Crown (February 2011)
  • Jade Regent (August 2011)
  • Skull and Shackles (February 2012)
  • Shattered Star (August 2012)
  • Reign of Winter (February 2013)
  • Wrath of the Righteous (August 2013)
  • Mummy's Mask (February 2014)
  • Iron Gods (August 2014)
  • Giantslayer (February 2015)
  • Hell's Rebels (August 2015)
  • Hell's Vengeance (February 2016)
  • Strange Aeons (August 2016)
  • Ironfang Invasion (February 2017)
  • Ruins of Azlant (August 2017)
  • War for the Crown (February 2018)
  • Return of the Runelords (August 2018)
  • Tyrants Grasp (February 2019)
  • Age of Ashes (August 2019)
  • Extinction Curse (January 2020)
How heavy is the Pathfinder Campaign Setting vibe in these Adventure Paths? Are the earlier ones (written with D&D rules) easier to work with than the later ones?

Is it possible to convert any of them to run in Greyhawk?

Which of them are easiest to move away from the Pathfinder setting? What sort of things do you think would need to be rebooted?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Has anyone converted Pathfinder Adventure Paths to Greyhawk?

Post by agathokles » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:01 pm

I'm probably not the most knowledgeable forum member on PF/Golarion, but my impression is that some of the AP have relatively little need of PF/Golarion specific elements. E.g., Kingmaker can be adapted to work in any "borderlands" area with the appropriate geography. Legacy of Fire should work in any appropriate Arabian/desertic area, Jade Regent could be adapted for Kara-Tur, etc.
Also, many aspects of Golarion are homages to features of the early campaign settings -- IIRC, Iron Gods deals with Numeria, which is PF/Golarion's take on Blackmoor.

GP

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:46 am

The APs are very intimately connected to Golarion (the PF campaign setting), some moreso than others. The degree to which they can be adapted to other campaign settings easily varies accordingly.

Which would be most easily adapted to Greyhawk, IMO:

Difficult (requires substantial tweaking of story elements to fit)

Runelords triad (Rise of the Runelords, Shattered Star, Return of the Runelords): Relies on the backstory of the Runelords, whose history is directly tied to Golarion and would be difficult (not impossible) to fit into the fairly extensively detailed history of Oerth.
Ruins of Azlant: Like the Runelords series, this one is tied explicitly with the history of Azlant and the Runelords. It would be a little less difficult to retrofit into Greyhawk, the biggest issue being to find a location for a lost (now sunken) culture.
Second Darkness: Fundamental story element is a representation/interpretation of the nature of the drow that is incompatible with Greyhawk lore as it currently stands.
Tyrants Grasp: I'm going to toss this one in this category, since it deals with Golarion NPCs whose history is very connected to that world, and who- while they have semi-counterparts on Greyhawk- don't fit neatly enough with them to make a direct 'or

Moderate (requires some degree of tweaking of story elements)
Jade Regent: As this adventure requires overland travel to an Asian style region of the world, one would need to firmly establish where such a location is relative to the Flanaess (even if using Kara-Tur or something similar), as no such region was ever canonically established. Otherwise, not really too difficult.
Reign of Winter: This one involves a lot of jumping around to different areas of Golarion, as well as other planets, not all of which would necessarily fit into canon locales very easily. One key location- Irrisen- doesn't have a very direct counterpart on Oerth.
Hell's Rebels and Hell's Vengeance: Both of these deal with different adventures in the same location on Golarion (Cheliax), and tie directly into events and histories of that realm. They could probably be relocated to the Great Kingdom without a bit of work.
Wrath of the Righteous: From a thematic standpoint, this could work by relocating it to somewhere like the Empire of Iuz. However, one of the premises of the AP centers around a Macguffin that is not present in the Greyhawk world (the wardstones of the Worldwound).
Ironfang Invasion: Probably could be set in/around the Pomarj, although the histories of the nations surrounding that region don't quite match with the historical conflicts of the regions it takes place in on Golarion.
Iron Gods: The underlying premise is already basically that of module S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. The biggest issue would be fitting in the semi-technological/magical nation of Numeria into the Flanaess. Greyhawk's Blackmoor doesn't as readily fit the bill as, say, Mystara's Blackmoor would. If you don't mind messing around with the Valley of the Mage, I'd say just use the Barrier Peaks location for the crashed ship, and subvert the Vale into the technomagical society described in the AP.
Skull and Shackles: The Hold of the Sea Princes comes to mind as the most immediate location, but some accommodations would need to be made for geography of Greyhawk if putting this there (the AP is set on a series of islands, not a more substantively landlocked area, and there is no maelstrom phenomena on the scale of Golarion's Eye of Abendego on Greyhawk that I am aware of).

Easy (requires little tweaking of story elements)
Legacy of Fire: Elements of this already parallel Greyhawk lore in a lot of ways (particularly some developed in another Paizo AP, Age of Worms)
Kingmaker: Some historical elements would need to be tweaked, but this already takes place in a relatively remote and (purposely) undeveloped part of Golarion. The kingdom building and mass combat mechanics could be replaced with other systems (Dominion and War Machine rules from BECMI, for instance, or Battlesystem for AD&D), or used as is.
Carrion Crown: The biggest challenge would be finding a suitable location, IMO. The underlying goal (prevent the resurrection of a Golarion-lore NPC- the Whispering Tyrant) could easily apply to Vecna or another similar figure (Acererak).
Serpent's Skull: Dropping this into Hepmonaland would be the easiest; there is currently no Serpent-Man culture/race on Greyhawk, but they could be used as is with some tweaking, or Yuan-Ti could be substituted with a little work.
War for the Crown: Probably not too tough, though no thoughts/locations immediately come to mind.

Dunno
Giantslayer: This one I do not own, but at a guess from what I know of it, it would probably fit into the Sterich/Geoff region (not unlike the Against the Giants series).
Strange Aeons: I honestly don't recall enough about this one to make a guess. This was the "Cthulhu mythos" AP and I very much was looking forward to it, but it felt very bland in execution. I think it probably can be fit without too much effort, but dunno.
Mummy's Mask: This one is connected to a period in Golarion history that could be connected to the Suel Imperium, possibly, but I don't recall enough specifics offhand to say.
Curse of the Crimson Throne: Probably not tough, it's just figuring out an appropriate urban location for it, I imagine.
Council of Thieves: Same as with Curse of the Crimson Throne. Istivin might be a good spot for this.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 am

As for the 2 2E APs (Age of Ashes and Extinction Curse), I don't own either of them (AoA just released the first issue, and EC won't even be out for another 6 months), but my understanding of the premises of both is that AoA in particular involves a nation led by an unusual creature that has no counterpart on known Oerth, and EC may or may not be easy to plop into an urban setting (like the City of Greyhawk).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:15 am

Excellent rundown, Andrew! So good I now need to ask the same question for Mystara :-D

GP

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:43 pm

TY for the info Cthulhudrew, I have been wondering about this very topic for some time but never really embraced Pathfinder, so didn't bother getting the adventures. Might start just for the conversion challenge.

Return to “Greyhawk”